possible cause mesh import problems

Released! - TresCom Ops' TC Act 2 Archive Forum.

Moderators: scallenger, Hilwo, Kovu

Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

possible cause mesh import problems

Post by Remdul »

Rebel, I checked out the barrel model that gave us some problems.

I imported it into MAX, and it also messed up. Somehow a vertex was added on the exact location where the model's pivot had been. I remember we where having a problem with unused vertices on models, I believe I discussed that with Andres a long time ago.

I assume the .3ds export is adding the vertex to make sure the pivot is still within the bounding box of the model. I'm not familiar with .3ds forma much, but I know that it has many limitations.

There is a button somewhere in MAX that sets the pivot to the center of each mesh (and also few buttons to re-orient the pivot rotations) but the .3ds export still uses the original coordinates/orientation/scale which are generated when an object is first created.

That pivot vertex thing is probably also causing the object to import on strange coordinates.

Trespasser itself might not handle meshes with isolated vertices, causing it to disapear.

I think I should really fix a few things on the .tpm export script by now, and use that from now on. MaxScript is really buggy so I'm a bit reluctant to dive into that stuff again...
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Yup, this seems to fix it.

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/barrel_v2.3ds

This time I moved the box inside the object, and then attached it.

I think I've explained this before, but I attach the models to newly created boxes to reset their rotation and scale (to avoid pivot orientation problems and mirrored objects).
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

I understand what you're saying above, but for how expensive Max is, one would think that it'd be less annoying to use. :?

Yup, I see the barrel! :)