Promotional Contest

Released! - TresCom Ops' TC Act 2 Archive Forum.

Moderators: scallenger, Hilwo, Kovu

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Promotional Contest

Post by Rebel »

Think we should run a contest which would allow a member of the community to play a pre-released version of tc_isle after we're done with our own team beta testing. Winner, would also be asked to write a review of the level which will be published with tc_isle. He, of course, would be asked not to divulge any level details before official release of level and to add a level a certainty to this, winner (so should be registered board members only who participate) could face banning from the Community board. Hell, perhaps as an added bonus, we could have a tc_isle t-shirt made up for the winner too since those types of things are relatively cheap to have made up.

Perhaps a script over at TresCom, whereas a member can enter his (or her) email address or (can restrict it to board members only, which could also bolster board member numbers) board member name and then when contest entries and deadline are reached, we attempt to find a fair and balanced method of choosing a random winner amongst the entries. I imagine this could be handled thru programming means, random choice.

Just a thought. Interesting, or a bit stupid, feel free to voice opinions.
MikeTheRaptor
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

Sounds good to me! TC_Isle shirt!! Alright!! Well I guess this is also restricted to non-ops members.. darn!

Nice idea though, I like it.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Well, as with all contests, no current member or family member may enter! lol

I think the t-shirt (along with getting to play the level first are two great prizes), but we'll see what the others think about this. Plus, writing the original review... that'd be kinda cool.

Something like;

A pic of tc_isle (watefall area or the b29)

Printing: '...I've played TC_Isle... '

Or something or other. I'm not Darren Stephens (BeWitches' Husband), so advertising and slogans aren't my thing.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

I and madppiper had been considering something like a screenshot contest some time ago.

Whoever takes the nicest screen wins the t-schirt and a beta version of the level. I mean, everyone can take a screenshot (allthough the flashing foliage thing might be problematic for some). We'll have to make up some rules, and determine how to vote (and who votes) etc.

Or maybe a screenshot contest is too limited, maybe art, poems etc aswell?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Well, seems we all but agree on the general idea, but a concern is; if it's turned into something of a talent contest then we eliminate that equal chance that everyone participating would have had of actually winning.

Not opposed to any of the ideas, just not certain which is best --

<insert eric cartman smiley face here>
madppiper

Post by madppiper »

yeah. A contest sounds like a great idea...

we sooo have to get contests and more polls going on our site...

it keeps the community together and moves plenty more people back to the active list...
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

We should settle upon the parameters for this contest so that we can consider a pre-announcement of it.

Perhaps poll our own preferences here?
madppiper

Post by madppiper »

yeah...

well, I think that prices could be the following:

1. beta testing
2. T-shirt / baseball cap or whatever
3. maybe even a cd-rom with our levels on them... ( :) might be a nice idea once we finnish all of the levels ;))

(however, how shall we pay for the prices... each TCOPs member pays a little(?))

But when shall we start the contest...

the thing is that once the contest is over, people will want to play the level + receive their prices... so when is the best time for this? or do you suppose that we should have this contest running for several months?

Also: what shall we make the contest about? how about different categories?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Well, it wouldn't really be a beta-test they'd play, but an alpha, pre-release version.

How much does a t-shirt or two cost to have made up? Can't be much, I'll contribute some money, no problem.

Once the conditions of the contest can be agreed upon, I think a pre-announcement of upcoming contest would be in order. Then, perhaps the contest could run up until a week before we're ready to allow the contest winner to play tc_isle. Meaning, of course, I would say after we have finished our own beta testing.

Parameters of contest: I like the random choice, simple entry into the contest, but perhaps that's too simplistic, plus you couldn't have people entering as many times as they'd want, 'cause spammers such as our newcomers to the board would swamp the contest and kill the equality of it.
madppiper

Post by madppiper »

true... we need some sort of check...

well, prices are at like 13$ on cafepress.com (which is the easiest way for us to get the t-shirts.... think we could print em ourselves at some other stores, but that would mean some extra work... could be done though)

pre-announcement sounds fine to me, but if we preannounce it to early and then forget about remembering the people about the contest , then they might forget it all... afterall even I forget our news-topics of the last few months...
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

OK, how bout;

Categories:

Best Drawing
Best Model
Best Article or Story

We could then choose amongst ourselves, the best entries, then allow the community as a whole to choose it's own winner?
madppiper

Post by madppiper »

sounds good to me :)

still when do oyu think shall we preannounce the contest ? Tommorow?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

I don't see why not, MP. As we're discussing, it'd be a pre-announcement.

".... entry guidelines and rules will soon follow.... "

*Cafe press sounds like a good idea for the t-shirts. Perhaps after the contest we (meaning trescom) should offer up trescom t-shirts for sale.
madppiper

Post by madppiper »

well alright... so we'll preannoucne the contest tommorow...

Contest will contain:

3 sections:

*Drawings
*Screenshots
*short stories / other written fan work

(btw, I think that screenshots should win a lesser expensive price, since they are easier to take... wouldn't be fair for other entries)

prices:

*T-shirt
(*Baseball cap)
*Beta-Test including the chance of writing a review or summary or whatever
*anything else (?)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Well, if the community at large is going to choose its own winner, I doubt that a screenshot is going to win anyway, so I don't think we would need to make the notation that a screenshot entry would win a lesser prize. Agree?

I'd expand that category to:

*Drawings
*Model Render
*Screenshots
*short stories / other written fan work

Contest disqualification would include; using someone elses work and claiming it as your own, others.

Contest winner would be expected to write a review

No trescom team member or member of their families would be permitted to enter.