The Beta

Released! - TresCom Ops' TC Act 2 Archive Forum.

Moderators: scallenger, Hilwo, Kovu

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

The Beta

Post by Rebel »

Uploaded, finally. Cross y'er fingers and nose hairs that the uploaded files are valid. :yes: Sorry it took so long, but dialup isn't exactly speedy.

You're looking for these files (diehard server, public_html folder):
Hi_RezTCI.zip
Lo_RezTCI.zip
SwpUD_TCI.zip (for Remdul)

Passwords are all the same: tcisle10830
scallenger
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by scallenger »

OMG great stuff you guys got here! The compies eating the parasaur carcass, and then the compies attacking me... ah! The dilophosaur cocking its head at me JUST LIKE IN THE MOVIE! And the lighthouse when I turned it on, and the chainsaw with the chainsaw sound effect (ahh!!! Trespasser Chainsaw Massacre!), the cool gallimimuses. OH and the new raptor FREAKED me out! Especially that real shrill noise it makes when it tries to attack you! Genious! *has a non-sexual orgasm* ;) lol

Only one flaw that you may already be aware of, and since this is a beta I guess it doesnt make a difference for now: I didnt hear the dilo or gallie or compy noises. And I am pretty sure I followed the install instructions correctly. Apparently Nem had the same issue. But I heard other new sounds like the pteranodons and the squeaky doors and such.

Oh, and guys, help me! How do I get out of the ship?! LOL I am so bad at puzzles. I turned every valve i could find but i guess there is more to it than that, lol. Btw, is there someone else on the ship... or a ghost or something? Cause there are a few moments where it seems like there are and it FREAKS me out. lol. I want to get out of the ship so i can go into the fenced area finally! ;)

Great stuff guys. KUDOS
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Check the sizes of the effects and ambient tpas, Scal. Depending on which type of install, there are copies both inside the data folder and the dreamworks folder. If there are tpas inside the dreamworks folder, tres ignors the tpas inside the data folder, which are probably the ones that you updated. Whichever files are larger, they're the correct ones, so replace the smaller tpa files.

Ship: Once inside the engine room, look up. You'll see a grate above your head. Jump up and try to touch it and it'll drop down. You can either drag a crate over to that area and do a crouched jump into the ductworks, or there's a wrench lying beneath the water on the engine room's floor. You can take that tool all the way back to the engine room (last valve) and give it a whack. That'll flood the engine room, then it's much easier to get into the ductworks.

Ship is meant to be spooky. If you head up the stairs beneath the bridge, you'll hear footsteps above you and if you get to the hatch just below the bridge quick enough, you'll hear the hatch close, see the hatch wheel turn, hear the footsteps running out across the deck of the ship....

Nice to hear that you're enjoying it. ;)

btw, the chainsaw's a killer weapon. Just hit action key as you contact any dino. They pretty much die instantly. It's actually a gun, though the bullet travels downwards instead of out and has a very short distance so contact with the blade is necessary to cause damage.

Can injure or kill compies by whackin' them with sticks, rocks or even the butt of a gun. Crowbar is a good weapon, too.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Haven't been able to post this any earlier, the server is still crap. I've discussed this with Madppiper, we'll almost certainly be moving servers.

Good stuff Rebel, though the animation files didn't work for me and Nem. I've had this prob before, but I can't remember how I solved it. The .asa files are in the data\anim folder like they should, and even the .asb files are generated. But stuff just doesn't work... Related to EXE files perhaps?

PS, spoke to Paul, he was a bit busy with school and all but I think he'll have the files packaged into a neat installer by the end of the week. We'll try to find a few mirrors in the mean time as well, so in case the server goes bananas again people can still download it.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Well, the animations need to work. Really doesn't make much sense, as whatever computer I've tried the level on, they've always worked. I suggest deleting the anim folder/asa files and I'll upload a separate pack (use those in lieu). If I recall, Trav had this problem too; the files included in the main zip failed, but when he used the separate uploads, they did (work). All exes have the same entries for play animations as does the demo, so I can't see that as being the problem.

This server blows. If it were a live creature, I would have taken it outside and have beaten the shit out of it already....

I'll upload in a minute.

http://www.geocities.com/lastrebel41/anims.zip
Nem
-=TresCom Administrator=-
Antispam: No

Post by Nem »

Hey, great job on the level! :yes:

Anyway, apart from the anim problems which there now is a solution, i've also had problems with gali-something. Everytime i see one, they are only active for about 5-10 seconds, then they freeze. After that i can push them around and stuff, only their head moves a little. Anyone else had this problem?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Well, that doesn't make any sense either, Nem. Everything works fine on my end. The only thing that I can think of is that some of these files are getting messed up during the upload, a changed byte here, a changed byte there and that's what causing these anomalies. I can upload the grf file separately, just to make certain that something isn't screwed up in there.

I actually love the Galis. You touch him, they whin and sometimes take off like frightened children. They're fast, too.
Nem

Post by Nem »

Now that you mention it, i think the problem is that they freeze when they were suppoused to run.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

I haven't heard anyone else report this, so your report is rather strange. I doubt it's the grf file though, they're touchy files and generally the level won't even load if something is really messed up. Once in a while the Gali's tail gets stuck on a tree and he can't 'move', he's stuck to the tree. Are you sure that isn't it? Jump into him, knock him free, if so....

I've uploaded the high_rez grf file (grfhigh.zip) as a separate zip file inside the public_html folder. It's there now. I'll upload a separate Low_Rez as well in a little while.
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

Actually rebel, I am having the same problems. The gallies do the same thing on my end. I dont know if Nem got the water to flood, but I did, however, what exactly do you do after you turn that one machine on? After I remove the stick and it turns on, nothing happens, and then i cant leave the room and the ducts because the water level rose so high i cant swim out. lol :)

I fixed the sound problem though from your suggestion, rebel. The dilos and the compies make awesome sounds. :D

But yeah, its not just Nem who is experiencing stuff like the gallies.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Well, did you push the fuse back into its holder, Scal? If you're still hearing a power down (short clip), you didn't fit the entire problem yet.

*Yea, I'm waiting for Remdul to get back to me on this new-found problem. I can't see anyway around this except my suggestion in the announcement post.

**If you guys have the demo, try runnin' the level inside of there. The Galis should work properly. IN fact, I'd like you and Nem to verify this for me. ;)
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

I think I did push it back in (although not sure) the button turned green and all that and made the whirring sound... then these loud clanging noises, then it stopped. were the big doors suppose to open then?

Ok, later today I will try it on the demo.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

The doors not opening is probably caused by the animation prob. Just download the ones above (go inside \data\anim\) and delete all .asb files from the \data\ folder.

The files you uploaded work like a charm Rebel. But I compared the files size and they match the old ones exactly, and I don't see much difference either. It's a mystery to me tho, I backed up the old asa files, I'll try to switch them back later and try to find the source of the problem. For now it works. :)

Don't have any problems with the gallies either...they just walk around like any other dino and look fine. Maybe there are to many active dinos in the area? Kill those two compies near the dock, and see whether the Gallies become active again...
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Dunno, Rem. There's some strange going ons between the 3 exes, patched and unpatched versions. I can't guarantee everything will work (including our Galis and play animations) without supplying the level as being self-sufficient. I can't pinpoint the gali problem, but I think it has something to do with the number of either animal meshes, # of raptor bones systems or something screwy with the AI itself. We're only dealing with three people here and everyone has had some type of glitch. Multiple that by ten or twenty, and we're going to have people bitchin' and damin' all over.

My personal opinion is, we should go with the entire pack, which would include its own engine.

*Dock Compys stay within 100 clicks of the boat (eggs inside), so too many 'awake' dinos isn't the source of the glitch. They have just enough room to chase you down the beach some, or get into a tussle with the Spitter. I was careful of the dino placements, being aware of that 3 dino active limit. (In case anyone is curious, blowing the lumber truck's dead horn a few times brings 2 raptors to the area)
Nem

Post by Nem »

I don't know what happened but the galies now work. I watched one eat and move around for about 3 minutes without any problem. Last night, I also checked the level, as you asked, with the demo.exe but they also didnt work. Now i've started the level twice and all gallies work. :?:

Also, I still havent got the animations to work. The gate doesn't open and when i break the valve at the ships engine room the room doesnt flood.