The Beta

Released! - TresCom Ops' TC Act 2 Archive Forum.

Moderators: scallenger, Hilwo, Kovu

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

I'll get back to you, Nem. I've finished my revamp, so I'm going to go and test it out on a few computers.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Another few probs I came across:

1) Engineroom duct panel would not open (it did once, didn't the second time I played) not even after bangin on it with objects.

2) Bunker panel screens would flash through each other (all sceens seem to be visible) making it practicly useless.

3) Compy killed me with its tail once (minor prob really, the usual buggy physics probably, but maybe you need to lower the mass).

The sniper rifle works great Rebel. And the graffity stuff is just cool. The way the dilophosaur looks at you, holding it's head at an angle, is just downright creepy (I also realised it has great camo colors, I could hear it but not see it the first time I encountered it).
Good timing on the raptors near the busted truck, it really seemed as if they where a pack attacking me; "One less threat to the American way of life". :)
Oh, and Annes other lines near the portapotty are just perfect. :D

Gonna check out some other things as well, but so far not many serious bugs besides the anim files stuff.
Last edited by Remdul on Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nem
-=TresCom Administrator=-
Antispam: No

Post by Nem »

Oh, btw. The raptor near crashed truck always manages to scare the crap out of me! It's like he pretends to be dead.. really weird, i shoot him twice, he falls down, but when i turn my back to him he trys to attack me.

Rebel, did you do this on purpose? I like it a lot. :D
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Hmm, animations seem to fail randomly. I replayed the level several times, some animations worked while others didn't. Even if you save your game, it fails, then restart Tres, load the savegame and it works. So I think its safe to say it doesn't have anything todo with savegames and all.

Maybe you can put several copies of the triggers in place. A brute force approach, one of them ought to trigger something.
Perhaps copying the animation trigger code and calling it several times after each other may also work.

I don't think its just triggers themselves failing, it only seems to affect the animation triggering part.

So I'm not sure putting together a complete package (like the demo) will work, though I hope that should solve it. In that case we can simply us our old password utility.

Btw, Scuba exit looks great, and the way Anne puts on the scuba gear looks neat. Oh, that sound that plays in the ship hull...creepy! :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Some positive words, like the sound of those. :D

On to the serious issues, I've done the complete package, tested it on 7 different machines and everything worked, including the Galis n' all play animations. (I hope this is it -- I don't like intruding on family and friends, using their computers at a moment's notice. I'm fairly sure they think I"m nuts. lol )

To verify this, I'm going to upload a hi_rez version only later tonite. It won't be password protected, so delete the files (move them, whatever) asap.

Anyways, the file will be labeled: TRESCOM_HI_REZ
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

File Name: TRESCOM_HI_REZ.ace (I used winace 2.6 beta for compression)

I'd right click, extract files to C:/ or D:/ (or whatever your main drive maybe be). Directory is actually unimportant. It'll extract into TRESCOM_H_REZ folder, everything needed will already be there and setup to go. The intro is actually Remdul's smk (balloon) video from our tc_level. Pressing 'new game' loads tc_isle.

To keep any input comparable to my own testing, please play straight thru without using any saved_games. (how you actually play thru isn't important) Right below, I'll begin a detailed walkthru of how I last played the level. Sit back, get yourself some chips and a soda.

Level Loaded: I went straight ahead, listened to the little intro clip, then bent down and picked up the stick lying on the side of the bank. From there, I went out into the ocean towards balloon, watched Ptera flap its wings once, then headed back onto shore and towards the Compys feeding on the Para corspe. I took out the stick, killed them both and moved on towards the B29. As I listened to the music clip, I continued moving (I did not move or pick up the screwdriver inside wreck) towards the Moia Statues and the 1st Gali. Heard the distant whispers soundclip, then watched the Gali feed for a few moments before I harrassed him into fleeing. He went up over the bank and I lost sight of him. From the ridge, I continued towards the flipped truck. I allowed the raptor to come quite close to me, forcing him to circle the tree to get to me. I made a break for the truck (and the spaz). I was still ahead of him safely, so I went for the ridge path to the L.House. The 1st raptor was following me, though below the ridge; the second raptor was approaching me headon. I shot him once in head, he stumbled somewhat down the right side of bank and decided to flee down instead of coming back up towards me. The first raptor was still following me from below, but as I progressed towards the L.House, the slope became too steep and he wound up being stranded down by the ocean just running about and growling up at me. T'was no longer a danger. (I have no idea where either raptor ended up later in game)

Continued....

Grabbed the rock, broke door lock. Turned on Earl.... 1st play animation worked. <red needles swung up and to the right as they should> Tested all lights, on/off and broken, checked lighthouse light and ptera flyby.... no problems.

Left L.House, headed back down path. Nearing truck, 3rd raptor approached from below (near dead river tree). I shot it once in the head, and it backed off towards the road. Both, I and the creature noticed the Gali at what seemed the same moment. He gave me a look, then decided to chase after the Gali, leaving me be. They both went up and over the bank, heading down towards the Moia Statues. (heard the growls and whins)

I went on, crossed the bridge, heard the Spitter though hurried up crater road (did this to check hint trigger). AFterwards, headed back down thru gulley to left of crater and towards lumber truck. I couldn't find the Spitter at first, though I heard the faint sound of drinking: he was at the river, drinking. I let him be, and continued on towards the Docks. I allowed compys to attack and hurt me, checking the voice trigger: ".... go, go on, get away", then headed towards the Venture. I picked up a rock, dropped the gun. Fog changed, music kicked in, Galis meandered about feeding. I watched a moment, then headed into the Venture thru hull tear.

Nearing door, the ceiling caved. 'Second animation played, no problem'

Went into corridor, headed down towards electrical cabinet, bent down picked up screwdriver. Heard the voiceover "... this gotta be what I need..." Opened cabinet, stuck in screwdriver, got shock. Turned around, headed upstairs to cabin below the pilot house. Heard the footsteps, rushed up, saw the hatch's wheel turning, footsteps fading.

Third animation played.... all voiceovers played, no problems.

Headed towards engine room. Left corridor, heard the pipe clanks, then went down stairs into engine room. Had screwdriver in hand, changed to rock. Threw rock up at grate, grate dropped down.

Fourth animation played.... AoK. (You can also shoot the grate as well -- any object, including anne's hand nearing grate should trigger event)

Bent down, picked up wrench under the water. Broke valve, dropped wrench as engine room rose slowly to flood height.

Fifth animation playing (water rising).... checked out.

Hopped up into duct system in a crouched position. Went to first turn, head back to be certain water element had been teleported to top of ducts.... it was.

Onward, jumped down into cargo hold. Pushed fuse back into place.

Sixth animation played.... checked out.

Removed gear obstruction, pushed bottom button of generator control box. Gears turned, doors opened....

7th and 8th animation played.... no problems found.

Reopened doors, watched gears turn several times. Last time, left cargo hold. Turned about, headed to stern. Heard thunder, music clip, lone seagull flying out across the ocean.

9th animation played..... no problem. (seagull)

Went frontside, cabin hatch below pilot house now unfrozen, I opened to check. Fine there. Went up to pilot house, slight delay and then bridge swayed.

10th animation played. AoK.

Played with radio/ship horn. Abandoned ship by jumping on to high rock, starboard side (left?). Galis still hanging about, began eating again (I have them set not to eat or snarl while inside ship -- they make too much noise. The AI values are restored after you exit cargohold).

From that point, I rearmed (grabbed spaz again), then went to piss off the sleeping raptor on hill. Watched him jump (it was a good one), then ran towards compys as he followed. Raptor began feeding, and let me be (I was at a safe distance anyhoo). Headed up over ridge towards Para; he was eating and could care less about me and I continued on to the raptor protecting nest. Annoyed him for a while (got some neat little jumps out of him, too), then went on back towards crashed balloon. Raptor was eating the Ptera and completely ignored me (though he doesn't always). Past the B29 and down towards Moia statues I found that the raptor had killed the Gali and was eating him fairly close to the Gali's original position, though a bit closer to light house.

Gave the raptor room, headed back up LH Ridge, and back down towards bridge. Spitter was still there drinking off and on. He decided to pursue me while I head up crater road, though I turned and took him out.

Back up to the gates, retrieved screwdriver, shorted panel. Sparks, doors began opening....

11th animation successful.

Went into crater. Meandered around, checked out spray paint egg, love that stuff. :)

Shot one window, spider crack....

Head to computer room. All screens Aok. Nothing on (or off) that wasn't suppose to be). Turned on power, headed towards punchpad, listened to voiceover. Punched in two bad codes (on purpose), then the correct one. All screens Aok. Loading screen.... and main computer screen scrolling data. Turned on all four cam buttons. Screens showed as they should. 2 fuzzy cam shots, 1 snowy screen. Turned them on/off several times, last left them on.
Hit secret key, blue screen of death took over data screen. Left building, headed towards pens. Took me about three shots to
kill one of the camera lens. Heard a Spitter (he's the teleported crater spitter), though he was still outside the crater and of no threat, so went back up to computer room. Camera two was out now, snowy screen (I killed camera, as just mentioned). Turned all cam buttons on and off several times. Again, no problems....

Went back towards crater doors, grabbed sniper rifle, then stored. Spitter was out of view, but I heard him. Retrieved rifle, caught sight of him coming back up through ravine to my left. Took aim, instant kill. I just love that gun. :) A sniper rifle should be deadly, and that's just what it is. ;)

Turned around, went to elevators. Took the ride down, then took a ride back up. Stopped at proper location, doors opened. Went back down to caverns for last time. Went to 1st room, tipped good detonator on its side for storing, headed to turbine room. Heard the steam, checked water valves, everything good, left.

To tnt area. Put detonator in place, connected wires, crouched, and watched explosion.

Animation # 12... worked, no problems.

Headed towards Caverns part II. Shot stalagtite from ceiling, swam across, hopped up on walkway and down to shack. Slung airtank gear over shoulder, headed down stairs, hit swim trigger and camera took over. End Level....

Animation 13.... perfect..... 13 for 13.

tc~river loaded....

(I actually missed one animation -- just checked it though, ok. Valve in corridor before interior hold spins (steam hiss through pipes) if touched)

Ends Blathering.

*Thanks for all the positives, Rem. I wasn't always certain if you'd like how I did some things, or you'd want to fire my ass. Yea, that Spitter is downright cool. Cockin' its head like that, and not a straight ahead killer like the Raptors -- it's looking for an opportunity. A killer with teeth, but one that thinks. Graffiti stuff came out real well, think it's a great egg. I think this time, we should only tell people how many eggs are in level and not detail where or what they are. Not sure if you noticed or not, but I pretty much fixed the Gali head/neck area by increasing rotationratios. I tweaked the raptors the best I could (they don't mess up that often). Going to see if I can't tweak the Spitter later on as well. Overall, if the latest upload proves the moneymaker, I think the community will enjoy it as well.

In case you're wondering, there's a minimum of 16 dino in level, a max. of 18. Hopefully, with 2 new additions yet to come, with some careful planning and placement, we can creep that up towards 30.

**Nem, that truck raptor is meant to be reincarnated. If he dies on his side, he wakes up and can only move his neck, looking at you like some wounded animal in the woods. If, he comes back to life while still in motion while dead, well, he comes back sorta drunk like! :D
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Downloading. 8)

There's so much good stuff in it, its easy to forget about some stuff Rebel.

Btw, the raptor's neck problems are almost completely gone, good job on that as well. I only spotted it on the one near the dead compies (because its bending its neck way down). One thing I did notice that that dino has no shadow, not sure the others did...

Good idea about the truck horn thing, that's exactly the kinda easter egg Tres fans are looking for. :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Yea, the dino shadows are disabled for the beta (barely noticeable anyways, since most times you're beneath umbrella of trees) until I can give that directional lighting thing more time. Still have to mess with the angle more....

btw, saved_games do mess stuff up. After you've done your initial playthru test, do this: breach crater gates, then save. Once you load the saved_game, the gates will be closed (and they should still be open). Saved_games also seem to register the original values of variable triggers and not their present value, as thru gameplay they toggle back and forth between true/false. As suggested, I think my initial warning about s.games is a valid one....
Nem

Post by Nem »

Yep! everything works great with this new version. :)

I'm stuck on the crater facility, what do i do when i turn on the computer? I gathered all 3 keycards but i dunno what to do with them, can't figure out the code.. :?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Glad to hear that, Nem. Feedback's important. ;)

The keycards had codes on them, proper entry code is 03015, then enter.

After that, elevator bunker door unlocks, you can take elevator down (left button) into the caverns....

*Only 1 detonator is good... look at them closely to figure out which one.
Nem

Post by Nem »

Thanks for the help, Rebel.

I just got killed by the dynamite's blast lol, i thought i was safe behind those debry... Turned out i wasn't. :D

I'll have another go at completing the level later, It's kind hard since you can't save, but it also makes it more interesting.

Anyway, congratualations on a job well done.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Sure, and thanks for playing thru it (that is, until you died lol). You are safe behind the debris, but you need to 'crouch' as soon as you make the detonator contacts, else the explosion catches and kills you. You can also attempt to stand just inside the opposing tunnels and shoot the dynomite and that'll set off the explosion as well, but if you're even an iota inside the main tunnel, you'll die then too.
scallenger
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by scallenger »

Just downloaded this today, and all my probs before are fixed now. Yay! :) Finally got out of the boat, lol. ;) Love it, love it, love it all. :) Still haven't been up to the enclosed caged area with the caves, doing that tomorrow. I am sure I will freak out. ;)

Keep it up, guys.

Btw, I noticed that the regular cheats, like woo, seem to be disabled. *screams* NOOO!!!! You know I cant survive those dinos without cheating! lol ;)
madppiper

Post by madppiper »

only got to play it for a few minutes today, but the impression so far is amazing... actually blew me away. Far better than expected... (got lost a few times and attacked by compys... (wanted to touch their meat)).. .anyhow i will prepare the installer tonight...

I certainly hope we can all meet in the chatrooms this evening to discuss some minor things :) ... and also have a long chat... haven't had that with you folks for far too long...
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Couldn't catch ya online MP, and paul@trecom.org got bumped for some reason.

Anyway, I changed the domain stuff, it points to a diehard framepage, along with a link to the miniboard...

Lemme know when you've send that mail to that webhosting dude...

The specs:
-UNIX/Linux OS preferred
-PHP (v4 or up)
-MySQL (we need only one DB)
-frequent backups (monthly is fine, the more the better)
-banner space: standard 468x60, allthough other dimensions are not impossible
-did I forget something else?

Maybe you can also ask whether they have custom banners on rotation like GS does, that may be nice. Oh, and ask whether uploading files thru PHP is enabled (we may use it for our news system, not available to public).
Try not to ask for (contest) giveaway prizes to much. Stable server is #1 priority, we'll see later what they can do for us in that area.

Um thats it I think...

I'd like to have TresCom up on that new server ASAP, abandon this bloody server and let it burn in hell. :mrgreen:
Good luck with school as well bud. :)

-------------

I'll be testing TC-Isle on my other comps (Win 98) as well to see how it runs on those.