tc isle terrain

Released! - TresCom Ops' TC Act 2 Archive Forum.

Moderators: scallenger, Hilwo, Kovu

Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

tc isle terrain

Post by Remdul »

Thought I'd post this here to make sure we all have the latest terrain version and avoid working on the terrain at the same time.

Last version by Rebel:
http://www.trespasserextras.com/tciterrain.ZIP

Right now I'm editing the river/beach area a little, will post the new file asap.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

I'm done editing for now.

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom ... n_nov3.zip

Changes:
-entire waterfall/river area:
--nice rock structures waterfall
--smaller waterfalls
--wider, shallow part (perfect spot to place those river trees) with scalable banks
-added smaller pond & stream down 'crater mountain' to river
-added detail crater entrance

Rebel, you might have to move the bridge up or down a bit to match the new terrain. Feel free to edit some parts that need some tweaking, allthough I think it worked out very well.

Now that we got the terrain editing tools we need, could you try to create an additional gap below the elevator building and make that floor grating at the entrance transparant?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

You gave yourself an awful lot of extra work by adding those waterfalls! :o Appearance wise, it'll probably look grand, but I won't be able to detail those areas until we get the water and terrain elements in place since I'm not quite sure how it'll all lay out. (did you add a duel waterfall for the mountain? Noticed a shelf a ways up. Are those original watefall rock textures still valid or do they need to be changed...?)

I'm tweakin' the area up past the bridge now, so as soon as my minor alterations are done, I'll upload the wtd again. Gotta get rid of some of that mushy terrain too, I hate the appearance of those low rez areas.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Lot of extra work yes, but ground textures will be half of it. I think you can just cover the steeper parts of the river banks with rock textures, the floor with the river texture. In the mean while I'll create the water objects, waterfall models.

Once we got that all in place we'll see where rock patch models are required.

Jep, created a shelf up there, to give the rock wall more depth (also based in on a pic of a Hawaii waterfall I saw once). Will also be nice to put a little scrub up there.

Sure, plenty of spots around that might needa extra little bit of detail. The terrain renderer in Tres is pretty fast, so I doubt performance will be a problem...
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Okeedok. Preassigning rock textures to certain areas doesn't always work out well, but I just sorta adjust positioning, size and shapes as the landscaping reaches that point.

*So, you'd like me to use the gravel1c texture for the river basin, is that what you mean? I could handle adding those, if you want me to. :cartman:

(Might should a little grouchy today... don't feel well :( )
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Yep, gravel texture is the right one. If you want you can import a copy of the gray rock texture, so they can be replaced later on with one that fits better.

Think you are right, that rock texture might fit well fo the mountains but not the river. I'll create a few new textures in a sec...

Sorry to hear that, hope you'll feel better soon. :)
Last edited by Remdul on Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Some nice textures:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/rivertex1.zip
http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/rivertex2.zip

Will go grab some food first, will probably create another few variations later today. :)

* Created a muddy river bank texture. Not entirely satisfied with it (need more roots dangling down the dirt, maybe some grass at the top) but I'll tweak that later ...
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Got 'em, bud. I'll get to work on it. ;)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Rem, when you get the chance import these riverbed terrain objects (they'll import just beneath our bridge). Before I continue I'd like your opinion on it. Should we continue as shown, create some objects fitted specifically for the river bed itself or perhaps you have another option?

http://www.trespasserextras.com/riverbed.ZIP

*Still fiddling with the terrain on the trail up past bridge, though I'll be finished with that soon.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Good question yes. There go a lot of terrain objects in there.

I'll try to import the terrain as a mesh in 3dsmax and model some terrain objects to fit. Importing the terrain mesh is a little bit of a problem (invalid .3ds exported from TresEd, to many vertices) but I have some converters and I think I should be able to do it. Still, it will probably need some tweaking, throw in some smaller terrain objects to break up the tiling pattern also.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Yeah, you know, I hate throwing more work your way, but when I started to consider the number of trn_objs that may be needed to work the riverbed, it didn't seem right. May still need to add a patch here or there like you mentioned and perhaps that edge model that I uploaded, but prefitting most seems the appropriate thing to do.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

No problem Rebel. I'll see what I can do. :)

Just modeled the water surface object, fits pretty good. No texture yet...

Have been thinking about the transparant texture prob, I realised that I imported those as well, (clouds). Can't remember what version of GeomAdd it was but I bet that it's something with the prog, and not t-scripts (copied those from existing objects from the beach level).
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

I wouldn't even place a texture on water objects, Rem. They don't appear to 'do' anything for effect and cruising about some of the original levels, a good portion of the water objects aren't textured either. I can't see a difference --

*had the clouds in a test level too. They looked cool hanging against the slopes of the crater, though I think they should be omitted in areas directly above crater. The intersection with the terrain kills the look in area players can reach. I also reverted back to the tc.sky (you might have noticed). The sky model textures you uploaded a while back look quite good, but the horizon doesn't. No matter the fog color, you can see the edges of the sky where it ends (1000 ft up, i think) and it looked quite unnatural. Think the tc.sky texture worked out so well because the color so closely matched the white/gray haze of the clipping background and the clouds in that texture itself are away from the edges of the texture and more towards the center so it blends well into the dead horizon.

btw, here's the terrain file:

http://www.trespasserextras.com/terrainx2.ZIP

I didn't touch any of your riverbed work, (nice work on that, btw)but a small piece at the bridge to get a better fit for that model. Other variations are just small touchups along the bottom part of the path towards our lighthouse, as well as getting rid of some of that mushy terrain.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Well actually I was hoping to use a scrolling or animated texture on some parts of the river to simulate flowing water. Or maybe use even both (two layers) but we'll see how it works out with just the interactive water.

Will also be creating some rock models for the smaller waterfalls to be used to cover up the seams for the water objects (we'll have to cut those up, there's probably a maximum resolution on those realtime generated water textures).

Sure, move those clouds about, see where they fit best. Now that the we can see what parts of the terrain are impassable this should be a lot easier. :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

The waterfall themselves (even those smaller ones you added) will be animated, so hopefully that'll be enough to achieve the look you're going for. Don't forget, we also could use some water disturbance triggers so that would keep the water in motion for us.

*My biggest concern is where the river meets the ocean. That part is going to require the attention.