Landscape Assets List

Released! - TresCom Ops' TC Act 2 Archive Forum.

Moderators: scallenger, Hilwo, Kovu

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Yup, almost always something simple or overlooked, Rem.

Btw, I'd like to take the straight line edges off our terrain to make them appear more natural. Below, two possibilities:

http://www.trespasserextras.com/images/rockedge1.jpg
http://www.trespasserextras.com/images/rockedge2.jpg

You obviously spent a great deal of time creating the rock terrain objects (nice work on those), but I'd like to rough up the edges wherever necessary. Call 'em transition textures if you'd like, I believe that's what Dreamworks labeled them as.

Like, one but not the other? Like both? I'd like to switch off with three actually. The two above, rocks, dead grass and green grass patch as well. I think it'll blend nicely with your main terrain objects.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Looks good, but like the first one more though. :)

I do also have some other textures, I'll upload them in minute...

There ya go:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/grndtex_v1.zip

The rock texture is a tiny little bit different, looks a bit more like volcanic rock but has the same coloration. Gravel texture is used on the river. Also a wet beach texture, mossy rock, wet rock, dirt, jungle floor etc.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Got 'em, thanks. I'll place each texture onto a terrain_obj and port along with the others. That'll give us quite a few secondary ground textures to work with. ;)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Just thought that I'd compliment you again on your recent work, Remdul. Those trees are quite spectacular, now that I see those palms in game I find them quite the lookers.

Well, off to work.... catch ya later. :)
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Thanks :). Though palm leaf opacity map might need a bit more attention, it looks strange when mipmapped (not everyone might have the MaxReccomended texture dimension set to 256).

Strangly enough I now am able to swich to h/w mode again. Probably because Tres crashed before it (and I didn't reboot Windows after that), I hadn't switched modes since I replaced my gfx-cards so I thought it was related to the drivers. Well, actually I probably was, but in a different way;
DirectX (as well as OpenGL progs) sometimes screw things up in Windows when they crash and don't clean up/reset some used buffers/handles. That often causes the drivers or OS to go bananas next time you run the prog (OpenGL for example switches to s/w mode when that happens, DX simply crashes).
Anyhow, things around here are working fine again. :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Actually, if I don't do a reboot after a serious hang or crash of Tres, regardless of whether or not the problem was resolved, the game will continue to crash as you mentioned. Luckily, doesn't happen to me too often.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Rem, think we're gonna have to make those mr. leaf models into one single model and forget about attempting to make them springy. First, can't seem to get them to react the same as my test spring model, and second, each time that I walk through an instance of the model the game's crashing on me. Anyways, I'm holding off importing the leaf models into tc_isle as I really think we need to make 'em singular models. Other problems include the leafs warping (distorting), along with it being too time consuming to deal with individual leafs for each plant --

Sorry, but can't always report good news. :(

Oh, did you want me to include that plant that I uploaded earlier in the week to our model assets? I'd still like to use that (always liked that plant), but up to you, bud. Don't want me to use it, then I won't --
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Well if I got time left I might try and play with it a little more (I think it would kick serious ass if we can get it to work).

Think I'll update that plant you used also. Mostly textures probably model was quite detailed already. :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

The original plant textures seem fine, but they're of the wrong palette, of course.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

No prob. 8)

Here are the merged leafies:

http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/trescom/leafy.3ds

Please forgive me for the ridiculous names. It's a real bad habbit I know. I initially named the cocos nuts 'treeboobs'. :lol:
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Remdul wrote: I initially named the cocos nuts 'treeboobs'. :lol:

:mrgreen:

I hear yah.
MikeTheRaptor
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

"coco's nuts" sounds like another one of them names. It's coconuts :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Remdul, I had to sub-divide a few quads to get rid of some mushy terrain going up to the ridge to the lighthouse, so below in the updated wtd file.

http://www.trespasserextras.com/tciterrain.ZIP

*Off topic here, but I'd like to put a wrecked vehicle (assume a jeep) on the bank (flipped, smashed, rusted maybe) on the left bank near the break of the path (just before ridgeline). Any ideas on this? (Perhaps we could even have a window intact which a player could shoot out)

Could use an existing model from an original level, perhaps try to match it with one of our existing palettes, or did you want to whip up something new, perhaps just tweak some textures?

(I miss my cartman smiley :( )
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

I figured that there must have been at least one vehicle on the island to move supplies from the dock to the lab. I think I will create a more detailed version of the white pickup truck from the original levels for the lab/crater area, can make a crashed version as well. Maybe we can put something valueable like a gun or other item inside the truck, so you'd have to break that window to get to it.

Got the terrain. 8)

I'll see what I can do about that smiley Rebel. :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Whichever vehicle you'd like to go with is fine. Maybe this time we could have tires? lol

Smiley: Such a stupid thing, but I loved that one and used it quite often. You should make up that angry face that you like too.

*I just noticed that you can right click and save those smileys. Maybe all you need do is upload them.