Landscape Assets List

Released! - TresCom Ops' TC Act 2 Archive Forum.

Moderators: scallenger, Hilwo, Kovu

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Landscape Assets List

Post by Rebel »

VGiantTreerunk01-00 (Used in TC -- dead palm log)
VPinangaPalm00-00 (Used in TC -- leafy plant)
VTwinPalm00 -00 (Used in TC)
Various Rocks (Should we use your volcanic ones, plus standard?)

Rem, just add to this as you see fit. The dead tree is cool, and I've always liked those leaf plants, (though getting sick of those viola palm plants, overused) so think these initial three models are just fine in my mind. I like those spider trees too, but I don't think they're going to fit into tc_isle's atmosphere. What would be nice is a few of those twisted up white driftwood logs for the beach that you so often see in the movies.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

I got some other cool rocks (black volcanic rocks and brighter colored ones):
http://www.thetimesharebeat.com/yourwor ... ziobch.jpg
...or like these...
http://world-discoverer.com/graphics/wa ... 00x600.jpg

Driftwood logs are easy to model, got some nice textures for those already.

Palms will be there, taller and with different leaves, some bend ones (like these: http://home.planet.nl/~buijs512/game_engine/editor6.jpg ).

I think I can use slightly lower polygon models from my game project with lower resolution textures.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Yeah, cool rocks. Like the length of those palm tree leaves, but the tree trunks themselves seem a little to skinny.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Skinny? Take a look at these skinny fellas:

http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Cocos/nucifera.jpg

8)

Would be cool to have some coconuts in the trees, which you of cource can shoot down. :yes:
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Yup, even skinnier --

Hehehe..... great idea, man! Coconuts, there will be. Easy to set them up to come down by being shot at or an object striking them.

:yes:
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Reminds me, did you still find a way to loop animation scripts? I'd still love to have some animated plants in there...
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Animated in which manner? The original route, or my M.M.A. (Multiple Mesh Anim) way? In any event, I was thinking of using location triggers (set at -1 of course) to trigger those types of things. That way, they wouldn't be running continuously, though could be set off any number of times. Yes? No? Also have Andres' play animation scripts which could be used without change of camera views --
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Well, I don't think the MMA way would work. These plant animations are subtle and smooth, and will probably look choppy that way.

I think Andres' play animation is the way to go. From an artists point of view is seems to be the easiest solution...

Are mesh instances animated if the mesh itself is animated (both your way and Andres' way)? Of cource, if we are going to have a beach with 1000 palms and they all are seperate meshes it'll suck up to much memory and disk space, and will probably make the game slower as well...
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

I don't think animated meshes carry thru with the instances, only the main model. It works that way with the standard scripted animations that dreamworks used, but I think the other methods had direct string targets which aim at specific instances.

Bout the only thing I can say is; if you can come up with something I'll try to get it to work. Whatever is done, we can't suck up memory as you said, or slow the game down.... that's a no no.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Sureee. I'll experiment with it too. I got some ideas that might work.

I'm gonna create a small shoreline section tomorrow, see how the water animation works out, and whether it in combination with interactive water will look right.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Sounds good. I'd be interested in seeing the the water/ocean object transition myself. Seems that dreamworks did a fairly decent job of it in the beginning beach area and kathy's beach, maybe that'll help you some. :)

btw, this plant looks good with this level

http://www.trespasserextras.com/images/plant.jpg
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Rem, you might find this slightly interesting (or not!). Import into dreamwork's testscene, 0,0,0 coordinates (locale preset). Plant has axis movement, so it reacts to you walking through it. Springs back up. Located by raptor call button on door.

http://www.trespasserextras.com/springplant.ZIP

Unrelated, though interesting to me. I've added a few triggers to our barrel explosion. Location trigger forms a kill_zone around the area of exploding barrels. Variable trigger keeps trigger off except for when explosion occurs. It can do as little as simply lift anne just a bit or fling her up and back six or so feet and kill her, it depends upon how close she is to the blast circle. Imports at 0,0,0 (preset again), will overwrite one existing trigger. (Download is only for our testzone, if you still have that)

http://www.trespasserextras.com/barrelblast.ZIP
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Rebel, that springplant thingy is very cool! And it works when the raptor bumps into it!

I also set YFree to true but that send the plant spinning. But this looks cool already. Can you do the same thing with some smaller trees (but disable the spring thing)? Would be cool that some of the bigger dinos could knock over trees, but in a much more controlled way than the stuff you tried before.

I can build plants up out of several meshes, and if all the magnets are oriented differently it'll look very cool. :)

Great job Rebel! :yes:
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Thanks. I found it interesting, but wasn't certain anyone else would. While reading over that one recently posted interview it mentioned plants swayin' while the player walked through them. Started wondering how they could have done it and why if possible, they didn't include it.

Doubt such a simplistic method would work on trees though. We won't have much by way of larger predators anyhoo. Btw, little value note, if you use the value bool Instance = true inside a mag's tscript those values are applied to each instance of that model.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

So that value makes it all easier, eh? :)

Trees, yeah. We'll see...