New Trespasser Review

Found articles relating to Trespasser

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Webteam, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Indeed. Pretty interesting, right? I'm saving everything to my HD...
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Hmm, one of the articles was written by a Doug Lombardi.

Could this be THE Doug Lombardi from Valve software?
Nem
-=TresCom Administrator=-
-=TresCom Administrator=-
Antispam: No

Post by Nem »

He could be. But what is he doing writing about Trespasser? :?:

Off topic: Speaking of which look at these funny movies.

http://www.planethalflife.com/half-life2/delaymovie/

http://www.planethalflife.com/half-life2/delaymovie2/
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

And here are (or should be) some screenshots from Trespasser from the AGN3D site:

http://web.archive.org/web/199908272133 ... LinkID=805

Notice the names of the images (quite descriptive), and the filesizes (which can be useful in order to identify any existing screenshots).
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

The first page of the AGN3D review here:

http://web.archive.org/web/199909211829 ... m?revid=31

and supposedly, several screenshots here:

http://web.archive.org/web/199911031911 ... ?ShotID=21
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Nem wrote:Off topic: Speaking of which look at these funny movies...
Funny!

:lol:
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

machf wrote:Then there's this preview from 3D Gaming Network:

I remember reading about building the raft elsewhere during the past days, while looking through other archived sites. Hmm... I wonder where that would have been.
I found it, it was on page 4 of the OGR preview:
The effect is amazingly real. At one point, Seamus finds himself on top of a wall that is missing a section. Carefully sliding a plank into place he creates a little support bridge. When he takes his first step onto the plank you can clearly see the opposite end rising ever-so-slightly due to his weight and it vibrates with each step. Incredible. Yet one more example of how players will be able to interact with their environment is when Seamus explains, "You could even make a raft out of something - take a couple of objects, put them on one another, put the creation in the water, jump onto that and use another object to push yourself along." If only the Gilligan's Island crew had been so smart. [Picture: This shot clearly illustrates the level of detail possible in the Trespasser engine. Every blade on every fern is clearly visible.]
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

An interesting thing from the GamePower preview that was quoted on the Trespasser Team site:

http://web.archive.org/web/200104301905 ... power.html
Note: these screenshots were probably taken at a higher resolution than the real game will be, but they are real models and real game scenes, not cutscenes. Click on any screenshot to see a higher resolution version.
So they are not supposed to be "enhanced" images or 3D stuio renderings, but actual in-game screenshots at high resolution...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Also, according to the Trespasser City web, the OGR pages apparently were stored at the CDmag site at some time:

http://www.cdmag.com/Home/home.html?bra ... eview.html

So, let's ask them if they still have the previews (and especially, all those wonderful screenshots!)...
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

It's like a trip down memory lane.

*If my mind hasn't gone south ( no pun intended, Dan), there's a 'rafting pole' in the lab level's basement (area up ahead of warehouse and beyond treeline) though I can't imagine how it could have been utilized in that level. Taking a stab at where such a raft might have been used, perhaps if our town level damn was useable, ie. filled with water, it could have been used to traverse its length.

Can't think of any other place for it --
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

There are several places in the game I believe were intended to hold water. Behind the dam of course, and you know that gully that runs the entire length of the terrain in level 3 after you jump off the rock? It has a bridge across it too. I wonder why they didn't have a water fall from the top of that cliff you jump from? You know that's what they had to have had in mind! Just the little pond below remains. Maybe the original idea was to have a waterfall from the rock down into the pool which then flowed down into the ravine. I also wonder if the rock canyon you go through in level three from the waterfall past the first Trex, all the way down to the pit with 3 raptors wasn't initially intended as a stream bed with flowing water. Could such a thing be done? As you all know, I can't hack, but it would be an interesting experiment to take those two places and see what they would look like with water in them.
tresman
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by tresman »

They would probably look great with water. Just like what Tomi did to Cathy's Beach in his level. Water seems to make everything look more natural. After all, it is a rain forest. Another piece of evidence that there could have been whater in that little gully in IJ is the pond with the truck and raptor at the end.
tresman
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by tresman »

Do you mean running water (like a stream) or standing water (like a pond)?
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Both. Standing, with flowing in between.