What I don't get...

Discuss and analyze Bill Brown’s score for Trespasser.

Moderators: scallenger, TresCom Board Managers

JPFan95
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

What I don't get...

Post by JPFan95 »

Since I consider Trespasser as being the greatest licensed game ever made, I am puzzled by a few things.

1: Since Trespasser ties in with TLW, why was none of TLW's soundtrack used?

2: What instrument/s did Bill Brown use?
Site B was not meant to be a theme park, but a research station. This is where we did the real work.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: What I don't get...

Post by Draconisaurus »

JPFan95 wrote:1: Since Trespasser ties in with TLW, why was none of TLW's soundtrack used?
You really can't answer that for yourself? DWI has a very limited license to use JP things, I don't recall exactly what it included but that's the reason you don't see more direct JP references and such in the game.
2: What instrument/s did Bill Brown use?
Synth. :yum: You'll have to hope there's a synth composer around here can answer that more specifically..
TheGuy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Post by TheGuy »

Draconisaurus wrote:Synth. :yum: You'll have to hope there's a synth composer around here can answer that more specifically..
:|

JPFan95 wrote:2: What instrument/s did Bill Brown use?
He uses synth, as Draco said. Synth is basically recordings of individual instruments and then composed into a piece of music. Call it advanced MIDI if you will. If the composer is skilled, like Mr Brown is, he can make it sound like a live orchestra.
ImageImage
JPFan95
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by JPFan95 »

Ok. By the way, nobody reads my posts anymore...
Site B was not meant to be a theme park, but a research station. This is where we did the real work.
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

It's called Tracking not MIDI since MIDI is just a protocol to send musical messages and the instruments play after them ( mostly electronic but it's also possible to control real hammers in a piano ). Tracking on the other hand takes sound samples and plays them at different frequencies to simulate music. I don't know though if he used a Tracker or a MIDI arrangement. I would though opt for Tracking since it is less expensive and easier to pull off than setting up instruments and record them ( quite some work but worth it if done right ).
Leader, Head Programmer: Epsylon | Drag[en]gine ( Wiki )
Shadow Wolf
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus
Location: living underground in the middle of freaking nowhere

Post by Shadow Wolf »

eh? if no-one read them no-one would answer your questions here...
Dragonlord wrote:It's called Tracking not MIDI since MIDI is just a protocol to send musical messages and the instruments play after them ( mostly electronic but it's also possible to control real hammers in a piano ). Tracking on the other hand takes sound samples and plays them at different frequencies to simulate music. I don't know though if he used a Tracker or a MIDI arrangement. I would though opt for Tracking since it is less expensive and easier to pull off than setting up instruments and record them ( quite some work but worth it if done right ).
if we're gonna have a debate about this I'm calling in "magpie fabric" wherever he's got to these days... last time I saw him he wandered off with some drums to work on some non-synth stuffs for DP
post something intelligent before I go insane from a combination of exhaustion and boredom
JPFan95
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by JPFan95 »

Ok, then how many of you know anything about my upcoming Trespasser fanfic? :P
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

Shadow Wolf wrote:
eh? if no-one read them no-one would answer your questions here...
Dragonlord wrote:It's called Tracking not MIDI since MIDI is just a protocol to send musical messages and the instruments play after them ( mostly electronic but it's also possible to control real hammers in a piano ). Tracking on the other hand takes sound samples and plays them at different frequencies to simulate music. I don't know though if he used a Tracker or a MIDI arrangement. I would though opt for Tracking since it is less expensive and easier to pull off than setting up instruments and record them ( quite some work but worth it if done right ).
if we're gonna have a debate about this I'm calling in "magpie fabric" wherever he's got to these days... last time I saw him he wandered off with some drums to work on some non-synth stuffs for DP
Have we now already reached the teletubbies level of conversation or has this been a failed attempt at being funny? <.=.<
TheGuy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Post by TheGuy »

JPFan95 wrote:Ok. By the way, nobody reads my posts anymore...
JPFan95 wrote:Ok, then how many of you know anything about my upcoming Trespasser fanfic? :P
Don't worry about it mate. :) We all see (and read) your posts...
Yeah, but most people know what MIDI is, that's why I used it as an example. :yum:
ImageImage
Shadow Wolf
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Shadow Wolf »

Have we now already reached the teletubbies level of conversation or has this been a failed attempt at being funny? <.=.<
he just knows a hell of a lot more about it than me, he creates midis and Matt ochestrates them, tbh you could try being a little nicer sometimes man... life's too short to always be irritable (especially if you live like me...)
post something intelligent before I go insane from a combination of exhaustion and boredom
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

Shadow Wolf wrote:
he just knows a hell of a lot more about it than me, he creates midis and Matt ochestrates them, tbh you could try being a little nicer sometimes man... life's too short to always be irritable (especially if you live like me...)
To say it with Smith's words: "I'm just react allergic to bullshit" ;)
Shadow Wolf
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Shadow Wolf »

Dragonlord wrote:To say it with Smith's words: "I'm just react allergic to bullshit" ;)
that wasn't his exact quote, and what bullshit? I merely stated a fact that I would call in an expert to assist my understanding of what you're on about... I see no futher purpose in this discussion...
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

The reason for the not exact quote is simply that I watched the movie in German so I can only "guess" how the proper wording is in English but the sense is the same. You should though maybe learn once that posting garbage posts which server only the purpose to mock somebody tend to provoke hostile reactions. You could have stated the opinion of yours also in a friendly way. Just a little tip for future conversations.
Shadow Wolf
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Shadow Wolf »

Dragonlord wrote:The reason for the not exact quote is simply that I watched the movie in German so I can only "guess" how the proper wording is in English but the sense is the same. You should though maybe learn once that posting garbage posts which server only the purpose to mock somebody tend to provoke hostile reactions. You could have stated the opinion of yours also in a friendly way. Just a little tip for future conversations.
mock? I don't see that I've mocked anyone, and also I thought I was fairly polite compared to some posts made by certain members (additionally I don't see it as a "garbage post" just a non essential one)

this discussion is off topic and should either be ended or continued in PM... does anyone have anything CONSTRUCTIVE to add to the thread?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

About the fanfic... I would read the fanfics but I'm a slow reader generally and don't have time to read that much. :? Got work to go to and JPDS to finish... maybe after JPDS I will read the fanfics and those Hammond Memoir things. :yum: