TIMELINE- The Complete Game Soundtrack

Discuss and analyze Bill Brown’s score for Trespasser.

Moderators: scallenger, TresCom Board Managers

scallenger
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

TIMELINE- The Complete Game Soundtrack

Post by scallenger »

Also by Trespasser composer Bill Brown... is now in my possession.

Would anybody like a copy of it for me to put online or send via msn? Its a rare promo, featuring 31 tracks, with all the music from all the cutscenes, etc, etc. I don't think many of you have played the game (I am one of few who owns it I think), but even so, you will like this. Its like medieval music meets techno, with the same flavor found in all of Bill's scores as well. I actually like this album better than the Trespasser soundtrack (probably because there are longer tracks).

People who like the book TIMELINE who were dissapointed with the movie adaptation and its score may also want to give this a listen. In my opinion, it sounds much better than the score used in the film (by Brian Tyler, and even the rejected score by Jerry Goldsmith) and features music for scenes in the game that weren't even in the film that were in the book.

Here is my tracklisting for it (and this will make more sense for those who have played the game):

01 - Main Theme
02 - The Mission
03 - The Machine Room
04 - In The Machine
05 - The Attack
06 - Cliffs To Villiage
07 - Castelgard Arrival
08 - Castelgard Entry
09 - Tunic Search
10 - Inn To Tournament
11 - Tournament To Castle
12 - Castelgard Apartments
13 - Searching The Darkness
14 - The Professor's Urgency
15 - Ride Out Of Castelgard
16 - To The Mill
17 - The Green Chapel
18 - Green Knight Duel
19 - The Secret Passage
20 - Underground River
21 - LaRoque
22 - LaRoque Dungeon
23 - Escape LaRoque
24 - Race To The Machine
25 - Conclusion
26 - End Credits
27 - Main Theme (Ver. 1)
28 - Observation Point (Demo)
29 - Suspense (Demo)
30 - Chase (Demo)
31 - Win-Game (Demo)
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Post by Slugger »

Is that legally downloaded off his site?

If so Scal, could you e-mail me tracks 1, 25, and 26?

Thanks. :)
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

I'd like to hear 'em, but there are quite a few...

One question though - they rejected a score by Jerry Goldsmith and used one by Brian Tyler? I don't even know who Brain Tyler is... and I figured Goldsmith was pretty well known and liked.
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

Goldsmith does music for Stargate SG1 and Atlantis.

Brian Tyler is a little-known about composer. He did some pretty cool works, IMO. "Frank Herbert's: Children of Dune" is simply stunning.
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

Slugger: "Parts" of it are downloaded from his site, others are from the game files and a RARE UNRELEASED promo. Either way, I don't see the harm in giving these out. I mean, there is currently no profit being made out of them, and as long as I am not selling them this shouldn't be an issue. And no, Jerry Goldsmith doesn't do the music for Stargate SG-1 or Atlantis, that is his son Joel Goldsmith. But you are right about Brian Tyler doing Children of Dune and so on.

MikeTheRaptor: They did reject Jerry Goldsmith's score, for reasons I think because of late movie editing and the director changing his mind about how the score should sound. So Brian Tyler stepped in and rescored the film. And I am not sure if both of you guys knew this, but Jerry Goldsmith has recently passed away. :( Very sad news, indeed.

So if you guys want these tracks, do you have MSN? If so, mine is time_dome@hotmail.com

If you have YAHOO or AIM, e-mail me with that address above and I will send you that information.
masterchiefoo7
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by masterchiefoo7 »

whoa! I didnt know that timeline was a video game! it was one of my favorite books/movies.

is the game any good? is it action, or a myst type game, or what?
Hammond: When they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing worked!

Ian: Yeah, but when Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists...

visit my website @ http://www.freewebs.com/masterchiefoo7
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

It was actually a game a couple years before it was even a movie. It was a first person shooter/explorer for the PC only. You played as Chris and the plot of the game was very similiar to the novel. You had to go back in time to rescue the Professor with Barretto and Kate. Very early on, Barreto is killed by Decker, who had the marker to get back that is now broken (but the Professor has one), and then you and Kate run to Castelgard where you are then attacked by guards. Afterward, you search the town for the Professor and see him being taken away by guards and close to Lord Oliver, but he is able to talk to you through the ear pieces (yes, in the game you have one on) and he tells you to steal a tunic so you will appear to be a knight and Kate will pass as your page in order to blend in.

So you go in and steal a tunic at this Inn, and then, oh no, they think you are part of the tournament, so you then are put on a horse and have to joust 3 knights. Afterward, since you beat all 3, Lord Oliver is pissed, so he makes all of you be taken into this enclosed castle area where you are stripped of your sword, etc. (btw, you cant kill anyone, ever. but you sword fight them until they yield, shoot arrows, or use a shock stick). So you find your way out of the area and try to get to the apartments where the Professor is held captive. You have to sneak by guards, etc, until you find him in this secret little passage by talking to him through a window into a room where he is. but he is soon taken away by the guards as he tells you to escape Castelgard.

Next thing you know you are in a horse riding through Castelgard, the town being on fire btw. You have to be out of the town before the 12 gongs hit on the clock. So you get out, and then you and Kate go to the Mill, as they were also directed. They are going there to see someone who knows where the secret entrance to LaRoque is, since the Professor is being taken there. You go to the mill, go through the giant gears, battle some guards, until you find the guy... dead. Damn. Oh hey, at least the professor's marker is right next to him. But then, Kate notices some signs in the room where the dead guy is, and she realizes it matches signs at a Green Chapel some ways away. Well, before that happens, gaurds come by, so you get the time machine back by the marker, and go back to the present for a quick getaway. But oh no, when you get back, there was a transcritption error and you two are now SMALL! Honey, I Shrunk The Time Travelers! So you have to do some things to get things right, you get back to the machine, get sent back to the medieval times again, and yay, normal size! And now convienetly, you are at the Green Chapel. So you go over to it, Kate tells of the legend of the Green Knight, then when you go inside... dun dun dun. There he is! You battle him for a while and then Kate finds the secret passage...

Which is an underground river! How fun! So you get on a boat and make your way through the treacherous waters, until you make it to LaRoque. The Professor is seen in a cage being lowered into something, and Kate is schakaled against a wall. So you gotta save the day. You do that, and then you guys go through the flaming castle, battle decker before he goes off and dissapears, get in your time machine, and go home! The end! :)

Thats it in a nutshell.
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

Wow, I wasn't aware that Jerry Goldsmith had died. I'm so sorry to hear that. I don't have any of his music, but I'd always considered him a significant composer.

Did Goldsmith score the entire film before it was rejected? And if so, was his score made available?

I'm definately interested in some of the stuff you've got, though. My yahoo account is bklynboy1188 and my aim is cool397, which is also my aol email.
scallenger

Post by scallenger »

Yes, Goldmsith scored an entire early cut of the film, and it is avaialable in bootleg form and from some company (varese sarabande or something like that, its a big film score label). Its better than the Brian Tyler score, but it can get repetitive and boring sometimes. The Bill Brown score doesn't, at least for me. :)

Yeah I will send it to you sometime online then.

Btw, back to the actual game, it was a pretty fun game, although it was WAY easy. You could beat it in less than a day if you went fast enough, especially if you have the invincible cheat on (the only cheat the game has to offer). In fact one reason the game failed was because it was too easy, and Kate follows you EVERYWHERE and solves things for you without you having time to think. The graphics were, like Trespasser, spectacular back when it was made. But now they are sort of aged, but not too badly.

And yet still, I find something fun about the game. The voice acting is slightly better than average in games, and the whole thing feels cinematic. In fact, I think of the game more as an "interactive movie" than an actual game. A movie much more close to the book than the actual film by Paramount was. I actually enjoy the game more than the film.

Also, the game has a very unique feature. There is a "tour" mode where you can tour Castelgard (and see a couple locations you wouldn't in the regular game) with very insightful and interesting narratation by... author Michael Crichton himself. Apparently he wrote the whole thing out too and designed a 'scavenger hunt' in the tour. He talks about what it was like to live back then, customs, facts that most people don't know about the middle ages, and even how the makers of the game made most of their models accurate (except for times when they had to widen halls so players can fit through them). A very nice feature.

And I may be the only person to have ever have found the game's easter egg (and for all I know, there could be more): A delorian parked behind one of the buildings. ;)

If you are interested in getting this game, you can still buy it here on amazon used and new:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 38-3670239

Or you can try on ebay, using such a search listing as this one:

http://search.ebay.com/timeline-game_W0 ... ageZsearch

On XP and newer computers, if you try to install from startup, it will say you have an NT system and will abort installation. To fix this problem, use windows program compatability program on the CDROM drive and open it up under Windows 95/98. Then it will work. Make sure you do the same for the actual game's exe after you install it and wish to play.