Replacing dino models

FAQ and tutorials on how to mod Trespasser. For viewing only.

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Webteam, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Labocania
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Replacing dino models

Post by Labocania »

Hey :) so i'm new and i'm wondering if it is possible to take a dinosaur's file from a mod and give it's file the same name as an original trespasser file so I can replace the original dinos with better models. E.g, could I take a velociraptor model from trescom level and replace the default raptors in my trespasser with it? I'm not sure if dinos appear as a certain files and what directory it would be in or if you have to insert them using one of the trespasser twilight softwares or something. Theoretically If I gave the file the same name I would only have to replace the originals without changing any (config or tpm???) right? Sorry if that makes no sense aha :lol: Thanks!!! :!:

Edit - basically how do i swap skins
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Replacing dino models

Post by TheIdiot »

Labocania wrote:Hey :) so i'm new and i'm wondering if it is possible to take a dinosaur's file from a mod and give it's file the same name as an original trespasser file so I can replace the original dinos with better models. E.g, could I take a velociraptor model from trescom level and replace the default raptors in my trespasser with it? I'm not sure if dinos appear as a certain files and what directory it would be in or if you have to insert them using one of the trespasser twilight softwares or something. Theoretically If I gave the file the same name I would only have to replace the originals without changing any (config or tpm???) right? Sorry if that makes no sense aha :lol: Thanks!!! :!:

Edit - basically how do i swap skins
First off, welcome to the forum! :)

Yeah, you can totally do this, but there are a few steps involved. You have to export the mesh you want using TresEd, re-name it, and then re-import it with the same name as the dino you want to replace using GeomAdd. There are a few ways to go about the re-naming, but what I usually do is open the exported .TPM file in Notepad and replace all of the instances of the current dino's name with the new name. Ex, if you were replacing RaptorA00-00 with a new mesh - say it's named "TCRaptor00-00" - you'd replace "TCRaptor" with "RaptorA". Once that's done, save the file, then do the same with the exported "values.txt" file.
Additionally I should note that you need to have the .SWP file of the level you're planning on editing. The retail levels come with .SPZ files instead, which are converted to .SWP when the level is loaded. Also quite a few other TresCom members say that the retail levels are hard to edit and more likely to break, but I've never had a problem with it.

It's not an especially simple process (especially when you're just starting out), so make sure you're backing up your levels before re-importing. :wink:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Re: Replacing dino models

Post by Draconisaurus »

Welcome to JurassicCom :nerd:

As a note, if you're not experienced with Notepad editing, you might want to know that CTRL+H brings up the Find-and-Replace screen for use in replacing text.