TresCom Forums

TresCom : The Trespasser Fan Gateway...
It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:41 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:21 pm 
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Greetings.!
Why can not I embed to Trespasser model with more than 2048 triangles? :? It's a tool problem GeomAdd? or the Trespasser engine limitation. :?:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:04 pm 
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Melber wrote:
Greetings.!
Why can not I embed to Trespasser model with more than 2048 triangles? :? It's a tool problem GeomAdd? or the Trespasser engine limitation. :?:

It is the limit of Trespasser. You can with CE use models that is a bit higher (~3000 I believe) but there is still a max amount of overall triangles the game can load.

A lot of games still have a reduced amount of triangles but uses other techniques to make them appear higher than they usually are.

You can also split up the model to avoid the 2048 triangle limit :)

"The main laboratory and administrative buildings. This is where we made our work, where the real magic trick happen. When they are in need of height fixing, they'll come here." - Hammond

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:25 pm 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

It's important to still pay attention to the limits, both original and increased, so as to yield a level which will still run smoothly on computers.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:39 am 
T-Rex
T-Rex

What tatu said is correct - CE increases the triangle limit per-mesh to a tested limit of 3071 (possibly more - up to 4096, perhaps?), but the game engine has a limit to how many faces can be loaded in the level overall per-mesh. I hit this limit with my RTJP~Helipad level, which resulted in the level crashing during load. Luckily Lee Arbuco managed to update CE for me to get around this problem, but the per-mesh limit of 3071 is still enforced, and you should be wary when increasing the maximum overall polygons in the level using the CE .ini tweak as values too high will probably make the engine unstable.

Trespasser ATX or retail with no mods has a poly limit of 2048 hardcoded. Break up your meshes into several smaller ones to get around this limit, but try to nonetheless you should try and keep polys-per-mesh low.

Remember that this is a game from 1998, and an unstable one at that. :wink:

Draconisaurus wrote:
It's important to still pay attention to the limits, both original and increased, so as to yield a level which will still run smoothly on computers.

Yes - you should also keep in mind that no matter how good your hardware might be, Trespasser's engine will always bottleneck your system. You can increase the amount of memory Tres is allowed to use by running the 4GB patcher on the .exe, but again this only goes so far.

My currently active projects:
Return to Jurassic Park: A Trespasser Mod - Forum or ModDB | Trespasser HD: Beach (Released!) / Jungle Road | TheIdiot's release thread

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:50 am 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

TheIdiot wrote:
What tatu said is correct - CE increases the triangle limit per-mesh to a tested limit of 3071 (possibly more - up to 4096, perhaps?)

3072. I wonder why he didn't double it from 2048 to 4096, though... that's only a 50% increase and it's NOT a power of 2, which is odd.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:15 am 
T-Rex
T-Rex

machf wrote:
TheIdiot wrote:
What tatu said is correct - CE increases the triangle limit per-mesh to a tested limit of 3071 (possibly more - up to 4096, perhaps?)

3072. I wonder why he didn't double it from 2048 to 4096, though... that's only a 50% increase and it's NOT a power of 2, which is odd.

I think it's actually 3071, not 3072. I seem to recall a mesh with 3072 crashing the game which worked when I removed 1 face, but I could be wrong there.

My currently active projects:
Return to Jurassic Park: A Trespasser Mod - Forum or ModDB | Trespasser HD: Beach (Released!) / Jungle Road | TheIdiot's release thread

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:23 am 
Parasaurus
Parasaurus

Is a possibility in the trespasser to create light passing around the object.? Example torches ?

And

Happy and merry Christmas..! :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:45 am 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

No, not really.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:34 am 
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

machf wrote:
No, not really.

Can't a wall have an animated texture, like how some of the anim effects were used in TC-Isle? Or is that feature restricted to ATX?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:24 pm 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

The feature is NOT restricted to ATX and is entirely possible via scripted texture animation. :nerd: Just takes a bit of work. ATM I can't remember if CE supports multiple texture anims per model, which was added in ATX.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:38 pm 
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

I said "not really" because you can't really do it, but you can fake the effect... which is a relly long topic, as there are different possibilities (which you can suggest).
The first one I can remember is the "light beam" in the TestScene level... then there's the various lamps in East Dock, for example, which use the same principle...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:22 am 
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Yeah, faking it is what I was thinking. Sounds helpful.