What tools and knowledge I need to create modification?

FAQ and tutorials on how to mod Trespasser. For viewing only.

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Webteam, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: What I need for the tools to create modifications?

Post by TheIdiot »

[TresEd] When turned on and off, it's ok. But when I load any level my or trespasser and I click on Quit it will crash every time. but I dont think it will have some bad effect.
You have to be very careful, then, especially if you save around the time that you exit. If TresEd crashes while you're saving, your level will be broken. You should also be careful that you don't "Save and Exit" in that case.
[Help] Please how can I insert my the terrain to the level for which we used our own material and we created in 3dsMax7.
You don't need materials on your terrain in Max when importing to Trespasser, as they won't display. As I said before, Trespasser uses TrnObjs in the level itself to determine where the textures go.

The "Negative data value found" error indicates that, again, there is a vertex of the terrain which is below a height of 0. You CANNOT have any part of the mesh below 0 height.
Melber
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by Melber »

Ok :) I have already understood how texture is placed on the ground by TrnObjs, it looks very handy. But how to insert TrnObj into the level? create in3ds and using GeomAdd? and how to texture the individual TrnObj? Do I have to texture in 3ds max?

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

So my video tutorials explain the basics here... But beyond that, some basic points.
-A typical small trnobj for placing around a map is a simple square with a single texture on it, fit to the edges of the square
-Easiest way to make a new small trnobj is to export one from a retail level's basement (the area off-map which contains organized base models - press "P" in TresEd to show obj locations as red/green dots), then give it a new texture by naming the new texture to the name of the original or opening the TPM file in Notepad and editing the material text
-When making a new (typically 256x256) terrain texture, just make sure it has the same palette as the other trnobjs; this can be accomplished using "Wally Palette Editor" in "Trespasser Twilight" (see sig link)
-Larger trnobjs, such as the light brown dirt/leaf-looking rounded "cover" trnobj in retail JR, use repeated tiling textures and cover more area with fewer objects
-The largest trnobjs are used for the bottom-level ('base') and might be giant squares, hexagons, specially-designed shapes, etc.
-Pay attention to "SoundMaterial" - a trnobj has a soundmaterial-area equivalent to its maximum rectangular dimensions based on the location of the pivot relative to the mesh; if you're not careful a large, unusual-shaped trnobj may cover an area with its sound where its texture is not present, causing one to scratch one's head for a bit

Hope that helps -
Melber
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by Melber »

It is known that in Trespasser raptors had could jump. Can this feature be activated? Without using ATX mode. :?:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

machf and TI insist that the reactivated AI action "ActJump" etc. works in Tres CE. My experience is of a jump roughly 1/10th as high as standard ATX jumping. Judge for yourself - fiddle with the CE settings and actions in t-script.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

1/10th? What, you think with ATX Raptors are like Superman, able to leap over tallest buildings in a single bound?
You really can't properly configure CE yet, I guess...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Melber
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by Melber »

ahh.. thank you.! :mrgreen: And collision shapes on any model must be made in the trespasser as only a cube?
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Melber wrote:ahh.. thank you.! :mrgreen: And collision shapes on any model must be made in the trespasser as only a cube?
Yes and no. It can be any shape you want, but the game will only care about it's bounds area, which is cube :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

More accurately "box", as they don't need all-same dimensions. Triggers are allowed to be boxes or spheres.
tatu

Post by tatu »

Draconisaurus wrote:More accurately "box", as they don't need all-same dimensions. Triggers are allowed to be boxes or spheres.
Even triggers can have any shape they want as the game only care about triggers bounds area. When working on the Island project I made the terrain a trigger, with over 30,000 polys and the game loads that cause it only loads the bounds area of the trigger.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Mmmm triggers have exactly 2 types of bounding volumes via scripting, 1 (sphere) and 2 (box).
Melber
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by Melber »

Can be create in Trespasser cutscene or a movie? someone invented a way? :?:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

There is a program called "Smacker" which creates SMK files that can be used as Trespasser cutscenes. There's a new actiontype for playing them with a trigger, and they can also be used to replace the ones which come with Trespasser (intro, new game, etc.). I think it's linked here in the FAQ section but just wait for the 20th anniversary - Trespasser Millennium will come with it along with all the other stuff you need.
Melber
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by Melber »

Hello. I just got ready to insert the finished models into the first level created in Shell_Generator. But I'm not sure what's all it needed? I put Anne.tpm, Sky.tpm, some raptors.tpm and Trex. Is that all?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Do have a look at this thread, my videos explain lots of that stuff, especially starting a new level: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11093