What tools and knowledge I need to create modification?

FAQ and tutorials on how to mod Trespasser. For viewing only.

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Webteam, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Melber
Triceratops
Triceratops

Re: What tools and knowledge I need to create modification?

Post by Melber »

Greetings.!
Why can not I embed to Trespasser model with more than 2048 triangles? :? It's a tool problem GeomAdd? or the Trespasser engine limitation. :?:
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Melber wrote:Greetings.!
Why can not I embed to Trespasser model with more than 2048 triangles? :? It's a tool problem GeomAdd? or the Trespasser engine limitation. :?:
It is the limit of Trespasser. You can with CE use models that is a bit higher (~3000 I believe) but there is still a max amount of overall triangles the game can load.

A lot of games still have a reduced amount of triangles but uses other techniques to make them appear higher than they usually are.

You can also split up the model to avoid the 2048 triangle limit :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

It's important to still pay attention to the limits, both original and increased, so as to yield a level which will still run smoothly on computers.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

What tatu said is correct - CE increases the triangle limit per-mesh to a tested limit of 3071 (possibly more - up to 4096, perhaps?), but the game engine has a limit to how many faces can be loaded in the level overall per-mesh. I hit this limit with my RTJP~Helipad level, which resulted in the level crashing during load. Luckily Lee Arbuco managed to update CE for me to get around this problem, but the per-mesh limit of 3071 is still enforced, and you should be wary when increasing the maximum overall polygons in the level using the CE .ini tweak as values too high will probably make the engine unstable.

Trespasser ATX or retail with no mods has a poly limit of 2048 hardcoded. Break up your meshes into several smaller ones to get around this limit, but try to nonetheless you should try and keep polys-per-mesh low.

Remember that this is a game from 1998, and an unstable one at that. :wink:
Draconisaurus wrote:It's important to still pay attention to the limits, both original and increased, so as to yield a level which will still run smoothly on computers.
Yes - you should also keep in mind that no matter how good your hardware might be, Trespasser's engine will always bottleneck your system. You can increase the amount of memory Tres is allowed to use by running the 4GB patcher on the .exe, but again this only goes so far.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote:What tatu said is correct - CE increases the triangle limit per-mesh to a tested limit of 3071 (possibly more - up to 4096, perhaps?)
3072. I wonder why he didn't double it from 2048 to 4096, though... that's only a 50% increase and it's NOT a power of 2, which is odd.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:
TheIdiot wrote:What tatu said is correct - CE increases the triangle limit per-mesh to a tested limit of 3071 (possibly more - up to 4096, perhaps?)
3072. I wonder why he didn't double it from 2048 to 4096, though... that's only a 50% increase and it's NOT a power of 2, which is odd.
I think it's actually 3071, not 3072. I seem to recall a mesh with 3072 crashing the game which worked when I removed 1 face, but I could be wrong there.
Melber
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by Melber »

Is a possibility in the trespasser to create light passing around the object.? Example torches ?

And

Happy and merry Christmas..! :D
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

No, not really.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

machf wrote:No, not really.
Can't a wall have an animated texture, like how some of the anim effects were used in TC-Isle? Or is that feature restricted to ATX?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

The feature is NOT restricted to ATX and is entirely possible via scripted texture animation. :nerd: Just takes a bit of work. ATM I can't remember if CE supports multiple texture anims per model, which was added in ATX.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

I said "not really" because you can't really do it, but you can fake the effect... which is a relly long topic, as there are different possibilities (which you can suggest).
The first one I can remember is the "light beam" in the TestScene level... then there's the various lamps in East Dock, for example, which use the same principle...
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Yeah, faking it is what I was thinking. Sounds helpful.
Melber
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by Melber »

I found these commands in Lab level.

Code: Select all

ValueTable for instance 1878 "DLight_IngenLab" :

group DLight_IngenLab = {
    string Class = "CLightDirectional"
    bool Visible = false
}
Does anyone know what he's doing? :?:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Directional Lights are what Trespasser uses for the sun, and is responsible for shadow direction. Unfortunately only one will work at a time.
Melber
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by Melber »

Is any possibility of raising shadows or darkening buildings?
I would do something like a dark rooms.