What Linux distro are you using and why?

A discussion and "how to" of running Trespasser under the Linux operating system. You do not have to be registered for posting in this forum!

Moderators: scallenger, Dapper Dan, TresCom Support Team

IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

What Linux distro are you using and why?

Post by IsToR »

:?:
madppiper
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by madppiper »

Slackware...

don't know why... but I guess that Suse was too windows-like for me and uhh all others ... well uhh

Slackware rocks ... lol
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

mp when did you start using slack? I didn't know you even used Linux! I started with Mandrake 8.2, then 9.0 which was a great linux release. Mandrake 9.1 and 9.2 were extremely frustrating, and seemed to be a step in the wrong direction. I then switched to Red Hat 9.0, which I liked almost as well as Mandrake 9.0. I've since upgraded to Fedora Core 1, and I'll have to say, it is VERY impressive. It's just like RH 9 except there were several bugs that have been eliminated. It's the best Distro I've yet used. At one time or another I've used,

Mandrake 8.2, 9.1, 9.2
Slackware
Debian
Morphix (live cd)
Knoppix (live cd)
Gnoppix (live cd)
Mepis (live cd)
Suse
Kanotix Bug Catcher (live cd)
Red Hat 7.2, 8.0, 9.0
Fedora Core 1
Gentoo (live cd)
Slax (live cd)
Damn Small (live cd)
Peanut (live cd)
And a few more..

Of the live cds, Morphix rules hands down. Of the main line distros, Fedora Core one is just solid all the way around, and gets the job done. With apt-get rpm, it's a breeze to configure and install packages.
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
Lou-saydus
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by Lou-saydus »

er.. i know i shouldnt even be posting here since im such a newb to linux but well errr..

Morphix... why?

oh cause dan told me 2 .....
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Everyone was a noob at some point. After using and getting familiar with Morphix, you will probably want to try others. That's the great thing about Linux. There are so many distros, one is bound to be exactly what you were looking for..
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

I just downloaded fedora 1.0.. I'm gonna install it first thing in the morning!

I hope it works, because I've had so many problems with mandrake 9.2 and later.. 9.1 worked just fine though, but it's getting old (and I've lost my cds).

Does fedora support viewing of NTFS partitions?
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

IsToR wrote:Does fedora support viewing of NTFS partitions?
Yes, but not out of the box. You will have to do a little command line work to enable reading NTFS. There are a few programs out there now that will even let you write to NTFS, but I've never tried any of them.

Fedora Core 1 is far better than Mdk 9.1 or 9.2, especially if you download and install apt-get rpm.
I downloaded and installed Mdk 10 on my experimental box 2 days ago and so far, I'm very impressed with it, and it runs the 2.6 kernel. Why not try an upgrade to Mdk 10 first, and if it doesn't work out, you can always then install Fedora?
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

I've borrowed the mdk 10 cds from a friend of mine, but somwthing seem to be wrong with them.. I guess a few packages got corrupted during the burning process or something.. and another thing I found kind of odd is that the bootable cd isn't #1, it's #2 or 3 (don't remember which). Strange.........
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

I downloaded mine from the Mandrake mirriors and burned them at x8 using k3b. All work perfectly. One of the biggest problems you can have with cd's burned from ISOs is when they are burned at too high a speed. That could be the problem. Ask your friend at what speed did he burn them.
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

I bet he burned them at pretty high speed...

Well, I've just downloaded the iso files, so I'm going to burn them at very low speed... Hope it works: :)
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

x8 or less is good...
yochenhsieh
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by yochenhsieh »

IsToR wrote:I've borrowed the mdk 10 cds from a friend of mine, but somwthing seem to be wrong with them.. I guess a few packages got corrupted during the burning process or something.. and another thing I found kind of odd is that the bootable cd isn't #1, it's #2 or 3 (don't remember which). Strange.........
Hello, IsToR,
For more information about the problems you had met with the recently-released Mandrake 10.0 Community, you can see here:
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/errata.php3

Mandrake has applied a new Development Process since 10.0. I would suggest waiting for "Mandrake 10.0 Official" (should be released in May) if you want a more stable product & environment. :) Before Mandrake 10.0 Official comes out, you can just try Fedora or other distros.
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/pr-releaseprocess.php3
yochenhsieh
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by yochenhsieh »

Back to the topic...

I'm using Mandrake Linux because of its Traditional Chinese support (my native language), Multimedia packages, and DrakXtools. :)
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

yochenhsieh, did you ever try Red Flag? If so, what were your impressions of it?
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

yochenhsieh wrote:Before Mandrake 10.0 Official comes out, you can just try Fedora or other distros.
Or he could just go with Mdk Cooker.. :wink: