What Linux distro are you using and why?

A discussion and "how to" of running Trespasser under the Linux operating system. You do not have to be registered for posting in this forum!

Moderators: scallenger, Dapper Dan, TresCom Support Team

IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

Tried Fedora by the way, it worked just as good as RH9 (=not too good).

It seems to be a really nice os, but I can't get the sound and ethernet card to work (even though it finds them both and installs them). This is the most frustrating thing with linux.. What can I do if I can't get my internet connection to work (Ok I guess the obvious answer to that question would be "get another distro", but what if I really want THAT specific distro?)?? It's not as easy as getting new drivers, like in windows. On the other hand, when everything works it's great. :P
yochenhsieh
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by yochenhsieh »

Dapper Dan wrote:yochenhsieh, did you ever try Red Flag? If so, what were your impressions of it?
Yes and No. I tried installing RF3.2 on my laptop and PC when I was new to Linux. But I cannot boot into Linux after installation. Red Flag is a distro made by China and it isn't popular in Taiwan. From I've heared, Red Flag is based on Red Hat but modified to be *very* similiar to Windows95/98.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

IsToR wrote:Tried Fedora by the way, it worked just as good as RH9 (=not too good).

It seems to be a really nice os, but I can't get the sound and ethernet card to work (even though it finds them both and installs them). This is the most frustrating thing with linux.. What can I do if I can't get my internet connection to work (Ok I guess the obvious answer to that question would be "get another distro", but what if I really want THAT specific distro?)?? It's not as easy as getting new drivers, like in windows. On the other hand, when everything works it's great. :P
IsToR, what sound card and what type network card are you using? I may be able to help. My exlerience was RH 9 ok, Fedora, two thumbs up. :)
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

yochenhsieh wrote:
Dapper Dan wrote:yochenhsieh, did you ever try Red Flag? If so, what were your impressions of it?
Yes and No. I tried installing RF3.2 on my laptop and PC when I was new to Linux. But I cannot boot into Linux after installation. Red Flag is a distro made by China and it isn't popular in Taiwan. From I've heared, Red Flag is based on Red Hat but modified to be *very* similiar to Windows95/98.
So I've heard. That's why I was interested in it. Is there a Taiwanese Linux distro?
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
yochenhsieh
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by yochenhsieh »

Dapper Dan wrote:
yochenhsieh wrote:Before Mandrake 10.0 Official comes out, you can just try Fedora or other distros.
Or he could just go with Mdk Cooker.. :wink:
There is also a stable branch of Mdk10.0 Community, it will be updated untill 10.0 Official released. If you go with this stable branch, your Mdk install will be identical to Mdk10.0 Official.
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ftp.php3
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

yochenhsieh wrote:There is also a stable branch of Mdk10.0 Community...
That must be what I have. I had no troubles at all with the install, & so far everything is working very well. :yes:
yochenhsieh
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by yochenhsieh »

Dapper Dan wrote:So I've heard. That's why I was interested in it. Is there a Taiwanese Linux distro?
Yes, there is Linpus Linux based on Mandrake.
http://www.distrowatch.com/table.php?di ... ion=linpus
http://www.linpus.com.tw/
Since the Traditional Chinese support of RedHat/Mandrake has been better and better during these years, the company is mainly focused on embedded Linux recently. Most Linux users in Taiwan now use RedHat/Fedora, Mandrake, Debian, Knoppix, Slackware, and Gentoo.
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

Dapper Dan, I have a soundblaster 128 pci (Ensoinq "ens1371") sound card, and ethernet card is "natsemi DP83810 (10/100)". Anyhow.. I just installed mdk 10 community (no corrupt files on my cds this time!!), and it works just fine so far! Mandrake seems to be "my" distro. It loves my machine!
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

That's great news! And all your hardware is configured and working?
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

yup :)
yochenhsieh
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by yochenhsieh »

Dapper Dan wrote:
yochenhsieh wrote: From I've heard, Red Flag is based on Red Hat but modified to be *very* similiar to Windows95/98.
So I've heard. That's why I was interested in it.
Hello, Dan,
If you're still interested in Windows-like desktop environment, try this: http://www.xpde.com :)
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Hi yochenhsiea!

Long time no see! ;) What have you been up to? Have you been checkin' in and just not posting?

XPde looks really interesting! I'm hopelessly in love with IceWM, but as a Linux hobbiest, I'm always looking for things to explore and learn. Thanks for that link!

XPde might be a great desktop environment for switching Windows users over for the first time! :)
yochenhsieh
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by yochenhsieh »

Dapper Dan wrote:Hi yochenhsieh!
Long time no see! ;) What have you been up to? Have you been checkin' in and just not posting?
I've been trying to improve my own Live-CD recently... haven't played Trespasser for a while. :)

Speaking of Live-CD, have you tried these?
ADIOS(Fedora-based LiveCD)
PCLinuxOS (Mandrake-based LiveCD)
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Haven't tried those yet. Of those I've tried, I like Morphix and Damn Small the best! I will try those others you mention.
madppiper
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by madppiper »

did I mention Knoppix before???

that one is a real life saver... (seriously... it IS)