Trespasser in WINE

A discussion and "how to" of running Trespasser under the Linux operating system. You do not have to be registered for posting in this forum!

Moderators: scallenger, Dapper Dan, TresCom Support Team

yochenhsieh
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Trespasser in WINE

Post by yochenhsieh »

Hello all, this is my test report for running Trespasser in WINE:)

My Environment:
Mandriva 2006
WINE 0.9.2
ATI proprietary driver 8.16.20

Installation: successful.

Software mode: excellent! :yes:
http://www.mystipix.com/uploads/b3210d41f8.jpg
http://www.mystipix.com/uploads/0224132096.jpg

Hardware mode: very slooow, lagging, with "some" anormaly...
http://www.mystipix.com/uploads/215ba94526.jpg
http://www.mystipix.com/uploads/d367b47655.jpg
Notice that some parts just not rendered at all, it's weird.

btw, I found something Dan may be interested -- a Slackware-based Live-CD!
http://slax.linux-live.org
(Perhaps you already know about it, though. :lol: )
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Hmmm... I may be interested, even if he isn't...

(Oh, and judging by those screenshots, you like Star Trek, eh?)
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
yochenhsieh
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by yochenhsieh »

machf wrote:Hmmm... I may be interested, even if he isn't...

(Oh, and judging by those screenshots, you like Star Trek, eh?)
yea, actually I like starship-combat games more, ex: Dominion Wars, Starfleet Command series. But the 3 games -- Elite Force 1 & 2, DS9:The Fallen -- run pretty well with WINE, so I just installed them in Linux. My favorite Star Trek series are: TNG, DS9, and TOS movies :) .
yochenhsieh
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by yochenhsieh »

More tests:
TresCom password utility: It works!
TC Isle beta 1.02: Works excellent in software mode, but has same result in hardware mode like the retail version.
TC Isle beta 1.04: Not working -- failed to load atypex.dll, the log failed at "unpack code protection".

Trespasser 1.1 full patch: Works.
The screen size patch: Works.
The TresCom menu patch: Works.
ATX_patcher: Works.
Patched trespass_ATX.exe: Not working, too. Same as TC-Isle beta.

The above tests were all done in WINE-0.9.3. :)
[edit]The ATX_patcher does work in Linux, my mistake.[/edit]
Last edited by yochenhsieh on Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Red
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Big Red »

Quote:
More tests:
TresCom password utility: It works!
TC Isle beta 1.02: Works excellent in software mode, but has same result in hardware mode like the retail version.
TC Isle beta 1.04: Not working -- failed to load atypex.dll, the log failed at "unpack code protection".

Trespasser 1.1 full patch: Works.
The screen size patch: Works.
The TresCom menu patch: Works.
ATX_patcher: Not working.
Patched trespass_ATX.exe: Not working, too. Same as TC-Isle beta.

LOL (and I never say that). ATX was never meant to run under Linux; I could've saved you some time there ;). It relies pretty heavily on the Windows API behaviours (and from that log error, I'm guessing Linux doesn't allow self-modifying code at all...? *). I'm sort of surprised to see the patcher fail, though, because it's a rather simple program. Oh well. Can't do much about it, mainly because I don't have Linux... Sorry.

Besides, you guys are lucky it works just in WinXP... I was sure MS would've cut off self-modifying code in their new OSes... I guess I was wrong.

Edit: * I read somewhere that WINE doesn't support the Windows VirtualProtectEx API call fully; might be that too.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Big Red wrote:Quote:
ATX was never meant to run under Linux...
Trespasser was never meant to run under Linux either but with Wine/Cedega it runs as well in software mode as it does in Windows. :) I've been meaning to experiment with ATX under Cedega. Many games and apps run better under Cedega than under regular Wine so it just might work. I'm really glad to see yochenhsieh has Trespasser working under regular Wine. I'm happier still that someone else in the world is interested in Trespasser under Linux other than just me! :yes:
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
Big Red
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Big Red »

Trespasser was never meant to run under Linux either but with Wine/Cedega it runs as well in software mode as it does in Windows.
After writing the DLL-load code for ATX, I explicitly thought "There's no way this is ever going to run on anything other than Win98". I guess the difference is that the Trespasser team probably didn't even wonder if it would run on other OSes, and it's sort of a fluke that it does run. I did, and I probably would've tried to get it to dance with Linux if I had a copy, as I am interested in that OS even though I have never used it (for what it's worth).

Whether it runs on Cedega or not probably still depends on:
"Edit: * I read somewhere that WINE doesn't support the Windows VirtualProtectEx API call fully; might be that too."
If they didn't fix that, the *.dll has 0.000001% chances of actually loading properly.

I'm still curious as to why the ATX_Patcher won't load; does it simply not load at all, or does it cause an error or crash? Does Linux give you a bug report?
Trespasser ATX modification web site:
http://atx.trescom.org/
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Linux gives bug reports out the wazoo and would let us know what the failure(s) are. Trouble is, I can't try installing ATX until I can get the big patch to install and haven't worked that out yet. Trying to install it under Cedega, it does not want to "find" the proper directory to unzip to. I know there's a way to do it. The problem is, with Cedega you have a front end type installer and manager for all your games. I've been amazed at how Transgaming has improved Cedega over the years. With Winex 2.2 Trespasser would barely run. From 3.0 forward it runs like a champ in software.

If you're interested, here's a brief history of Trespasser running under Winex/Cedega. :)
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
yochenhsieh
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by yochenhsieh »

Big Red wrote: I'm still curious as to why the ATX_Patcher won't load; does it simply not load at all, or does it cause an error or crash? Does Linux give you a bug report?
Sorry, Big Red,
That was my mistake, actually the ATX_Patcher works -- the only thing that didn't work is the patched trespass_ATX.exe. I just misread the console message so that I thought both of them were not working.

The error happens on trespass_ATX.exe is:

err:virtual:NtProtectVirtualMemory Unsupported on other process

Is this the problem of VirtualProtectEx API?
Big Red
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Big Red »

Sorry, Big Red,
That was my mistake, actually the ATX_Patcher works -- the only thing that didn't work is the patched trespass_ATX.exe. I just misread the console message so that I thought both of them were not working.

The error happens on trespass_ATX.exe is:

err:virtual:NtProtectVirtualMemory Unsupported on other process

Is this the problem of VirtualProtectEx API?
Ok, that's fine. I think it's pretty clear that VirtualProtectEx isn't implemented properly just by looking at that error, and that, yes, it is the problem. Because, you see, that error message is contradictory. ATX doesn't actually use VirtualProtectEx on "other process", it uses it on the current process only. In fact, it uses it on the process that the OS itself tells ATX is the current process. That makes me want to think the VirtualProtectEx is hardly implemented at all, though it might just be the error message that wasn't well thought out.

You might want to try the new ATX 1.50. I doubt it'll help, but try opening ATXconfig.ini under the [General] section, and setting UseOldVirtualProtect to 1, and then running trespass_ATX.exe. It tells ATX to use VirtualProtect instead of VirtualProtectEx, which is the same call but assumes explicitly that we're using the current process only, though it might not change anything depending on how the OS was written.
Trouble is, I can't try installing ATX until I can get the big patch to install and haven't worked that out yet
You don't need the large patch for ATX. And if the small patch doesn't work, just download the P5 English 1.1 executable from my site, such as yochenhsieh attempted. That is, assuming Cedega doesn't force you to use the front-end installer...
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Big Red wrote:You don't need the large patch for ATX.
I thought I remember reading somewhere that the big patch had to be installed before you could install ATX... Oh well, I guess I'm confused. If neither patch is necessary I'll get right on it. :)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

You do need the small patch installed, Dan. Or, like B.R. said,
download the exe available from his site.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

OK, I installed the small patch, downloaded atx150.zip and unzipped its contents to my Trespasser folder and told it to patch trespass.exe...

Success?

She fired up as normal...

I'm going to read the ATX docs now, but does it look like it's working?
Big Red
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Big Red »

Indeed! Do the new ATX menu options show up?
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Rats! I was loading trespass.exe instead of trespass_ATX.exe! I get...

"Error Loading ATYPEX.DLL"

:cry: