I played the demo in winex 3.1 WITHOUT ANY SLOWDOWN!!

A discussion and "how to" of running Trespasser under the Linux operating system. You do not have to be registered for posting in this forum!

Moderators: scallenger, Dapper Dan, TresCom Support Team

IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

I played the demo in winex 3.1 WITHOUT ANY SLOWDOWN!!

Post by IsToR »

Yes, you heard me.. ;)

It took about 10 minutes to prepare the level!

The first thing I did was to look for any bumpmapped object. Then I exported them all with tresed, and simply reimported them with geomadd. Voila! No slowdown!!
Last edited by IsToR on Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

GREAT WORK ISTOR!! :D I'm so "hacker" illiterate, you'll have to tell me exactly how you did it. Please, talk to me as if I were a 3 year old.. :)

This is really great news!! :lol:
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Does this have any implications for play in Windows?
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

hmm.. ok... btw do you have icq or msn messenger?

All of the bumpmapped objects in trespasser are software rendered.. you know.. crates, dinos, golden bars, girders... Any other model, that is not software rendered, is not bumpmapped either...

You have probably read that tresed does not import bumpmaps.. ?
Well, I figured, if I export a bumpmapped object and reimport, the bumpmaps would disappear.. thus making the object un-bumpmapped :).
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

I don't know if the bumpmaps themselves have anything to do with the slowdown.. I think it's more because the bumpmapped objects are software rendered.... But I wonder why they are software rendered.... :?
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

Anyway... enough rambling... now to the point:

I assume you know how to open a level in tresed ;)...

1. Open the level you wish to edit.

2.. Look for any object that is bumpmapped... It's kind of hard to see in tresed, because they're not software rendered.. but if you play the level and look at the objects, it's easier to see. In the demo level, all the bumpmapped objects are following: Oil barrels, Dinos, Guns.

3. Export all the bumpmapped objects. Just select the object you wish to export, and go to 'file' -> 'export selection to 3ds'. With dinos, you have to export as .tpm, otherwise it won't work. Remember that you have to find the "first" object (the -00 object, or the one without a number) eg. "Barrel-00" or "Barrel". They are usually located in the basement, far away from the playing area...

Here's a list of all the objects in the demo level, that you need to export and reimport:
NOTE! Before exporting an object, a dialog box appears. Remember to untick the "center object around 0,0,0 .. blah blah.. " option, because otherwise the guns won't work..
In this case, make sure that you only select the visible model and not any sub-objects. ('visibility' -> Normal objects, should be the only option ticked before you select an object that you want to export). Also, when exporting to .3ds, only export one object at a time!!!

*to find an object, goto 'edit' -> 'find and replace'

Dinos: (Remember to export dinos as .tpm, NOT .3ds)
*RaptorB
*RaptorC
*There are 4 other raptors close to RaptorB and RaptorC.
Select all 4 of them and export them as a single .tpm file.
*TRex_Alpha_A

Guns: Export them to .3ds (select a gun, then 'file'->'export selection as .3ds')
VERY IMPORTANT! Untick the option that I mentioned above, if already not unticked (center objects around 0,0,0......).
*PHuntingRifle-00
*PM14Rifle-00
*PMac10-00
*PSpasFrame03-00
*PS&W686-00

Other objects: (export to .3ds)
*PblFuelBarrel00-00
*PblFuelBarrel01-00

I guess all the objects could be exported as one single .tpm file. I'm gonna try that later...
Well that's all to the exporting... It's easier to import them back, if you export them all to the same directory.. Also, if tresed/geomadd asks if you want to replace any textures during export/import, it doesn't really matter if you choose yes or no, because it's the same texutre anyway.. I usually choose yes though.

4. Close the level ('file' -> 'close'), and open GeomAdd. "Import directory". Select the .scn file that you wish to import the models to (demo.scn). Press 'open'. Then browse to the directory where your models are, and choose any one of them. Press OK (or whatever.. the one that does not say cancel! ;)). Then a dialog box should appear.. Make sure that all the "replace existing. blah blah" and "when replacing objects, use the stored.. .blah.." are ticked. Press OK.

That should do it.

....What are you waiting for?? Go shoot some dinos!! ;) :D
Last edited by IsToR on Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

Dapper Dan wrote:Does this have any implications for play in Windows?
don't know... maybe
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

IsToR , I've been really sick, (flu maybe..) but as soon as I'm better I intend to try this out. I presume you did all this with TresEd and GeomAdd in Linux? I have no Windows partitions anymore..
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

Dapper Dan wrote:I presume you did all this with TresEd and GeomAdd in Linux?
No, but they do work in linux.. I've tried them both.. Well at least I couldn't find any bugs....
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

hey I know.. you don't have icq or msn!! you have Licq and gaim! :mrgreen:

BTW, have you tried amsn? It's exactly like msn messenger (before it became this ugly monstrosity that it is today), but it's better.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Actually I'm completely in the dark about all this. This is instant messaging? I've never tried it in Windows or Linux. How does it work?
IsToR
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by IsToR »

Well it's kind of like an internet chat, you know, but you talk to one person at a time. You can add ppl to your contact list, and then you can see if they are online or offline.. heh.. :)

very brief explanation.. :)

[EDIT] I accedentally put IMG tags instead of URL... hehe.. [/EDIT]
btw.. which dude is you?
http://www.roughdogs.com/dogs/wzla.htm
Last edited by IsToR on Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Huh?