Management front office desk. Ask away.

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Webteam, TresCom Board Managers

Shadow Wolf
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus
Location: living underground in the middle of freaking nowhere

Re: TC_Isle Beta 2?

Post by Shadow Wolf »

Microceratops wrote:Whoah!! That was awesome!! Without a doubt, that Ceratosaurus was the most scary dinosaur that Trespasser has ever had!
will you guys stop ruining it for those of us who havn't found time to play it yet? Drac's already planning to set the raptors on me for having plans for the bomber bofore I've played it :P and in case anyone's wondering that's have plans for, not "have imported it to where it's going to be..."
post something intelligent before I go insane from a combination of exhaustion and boredom
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Bah... none of you has seen Godzilla coming out of the sea yet. Or the crashed UFO.
Nick3069 wrote: TC~River doesn't seem to have been updated. :(
I think TC~River is only filler, never inteded to be the actual follow-up to this level. Seriously, you dive into an underwater cavern and next you're falling from the top of a waterfall... don't you see an inconsistency there?
Unless it's Land of the Lost...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

Is it the cera from Operation Genesis? Or the other one which I skinned? Haven't had a chance to download yet, because my connection often cuts out before I can fully download something
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Yours... but as I said, I think the ReadMe wasn't updated.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Ah...I love that ceratosaurus
Christopher
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Post by Christopher »

Acck, I've tried to download this twice now but both times my internet has cut out. It's the universe's way of telling me that I should be studying for my upcoming exam rather than playing video games ...

Also, out of curiosity, which members of the TC-Ops are still working on TC_Isle? I'd assume not all of them?
Ah, there's nothing more exciting than science. You get all the fun of sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers, paying attention... Science has it all." - Principal Skinner.
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Post by Slugger »

Christopher wrote:Also, out of curiosity, which members of the TC-Ops are still working on TC_Isle? I'd assume not all of them?
Presently, machf and I. We might be able to coax a thing or two out of Remdul, but he's tied up with the "Forgotten Hope" mod.
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

It may be worth mentioning that this second beta contains Rebel's last additions to it...
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmm, Forgotten Hope is a BF2 mod, I actually have that game.. I wonder how you could add "more teamwork" to it, though.

And to clear some stuff up, what I have heard is that the additions to this version of TC_Isle were mostly already in existence at the point of the previous release but were just not implemented in the level itself for various reasons, including sometimes that they were just forgotten. :P The "new" models themselves were I think all done by Remdul, as usual.

K so.. I haven't gotten all through the new version yet, and have not seen the Cerato :yum: but anyone who dug through the original TC_Isle beta knew that at least one Cerato was intended to be in the level, using Tres-Alberta vocals. I will have to see what this one is like.. a past version of JPDS~testing had a ceratosaurus, but it was removed at the point when I made the last release. Its legs were an aweful mess and its body was unwelded so hopefully this one fixed those problems..

*spoilers*
I really like what was changed in the lighthouse. Many of those new models were in the JPDS1 to-make list, that's going to save some nice time.. they can even be implemented very soon. That bridge, though, I hafta say it looks great but I was able to get across it by just holding the run key, despite the gaps..
I do like the rock and twig objects at various spots around the beach, it adds some nice realism. The tide is of course awesome as well, even simpler than I thought it would be.. I'll probably be modding that and putting it on the clifflines in JPDS1. :) Great work on that.
For those in the know.. I was surprised not to see a certain update on the bomber.. did you guys just forget to implement it? I thought it was working even without machf's 'upgrade'.
The compies. I will upload the video later, but one of the compies had this really weird spinning leg problem.. Oh, actually, the savefile shows it a bit, though it was dead at this point. I'll put up the vid later, but I've attached the savegame to this post..

K and, some other notes. As I already told Slug about, the max texture dim was still set at 128, so I manually increased it to see the full beauty of the new textures, others might wish to see how this look as well.. (in the tpass.ini file, just find the 128 dim value and change it to 256). Also, I noticed that the quality setting was defaulted at two notches below max. I turned it up to max using the ] key.. but found that the level began to lag rather a lot. I don't remember TC_Isle ever lagging in the old release.. So, it would seem that I just never realized in the past what graphics limitations were required for TC_Isle to run so smoothly. :? While playing this version of Isle, I find myself often adjusting the quality setting to increase FPS when I wanna get around faster (or fight a dino) and to get better graphics when viewing a great-looking location. The lighthouse was fairly laggy inside, and I imagine a future release should install some nice occlusion objects in the walls to help that out.. Maybe the stuff in there was removed previously for FPS concerns?

There's also the little problem where on my card now, fog doesn't render properly over the sky, so I can see the distant outlines of palms everywhere. In my memories of TC_Isle beta, I loved how I could barely see my surroundings and could certainly not see the foliage behind the distant thickness of the fog. Trees would phase in and out of visibility as I moved around the level, never hinting at what might be in the next area.. and now it's kinda meh.. seeing so many fogged palm outlines also increases the perception that FPS is being slow, I never perceived Isle as being this thickly foliaged. Anyway.. not sure what can be done to help any of that.. so at this time, the improvements to TC_Isle are for me mostly a resource boon. I'll still be doing a bit more exploring in a bit.. have also not found the harpoon gun yet.. OR Godzilla rising out of the sea.
Shadow Wolf
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Shadow Wolf »

Danmit Drac you've ruined the whole point of playing the game now :lol: now I'm gonna know what fearsome beasties are out to get me... where's my elephant rifle and box of armour piercing elephants? or my shotgun and bottle of tequila?
post something intelligent before I go insane from a combination of exhaustion and boredom
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

That is why I said *spoilers*...
And I don't see any good excuse for not having played the original beta yet. :yum:
Shadow Wolf
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Shadow Wolf »

Draconisaurus wrote:That is why I said *spoilers*...
And I don't see any good excuse for not having played the original beta yet. :yum:
I only realised that I needed Tresword to install it a while back when Matt told me... at which point I dug it out from under a pile of Skin packs, since then I've been lagooning
Christopher
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Post by Christopher »

I just finished playing it though, excellent! Unfortunately, its been a while since I played the earlier version so I'm not really sure what is new (except the Cerato which everyone else has already mentioned).

*Spoilers*

Still some good mysteries in there. Like the person who locks you in the Venture. Was that going to get expanded on later in the level (or the River level)? Also, what's with that area near the start of the level where all the trees have been smashed over? Was that supposed to be where the balloon hit (I assume not as the Balloon is out in the water)?

I did run into a few bugs though. I couldn't pickup/use the sniper rifle without the game crashing, dinosaur sound effects always sounded like the creature was right next to me rather than at a distance (a bit freaky when you've just done a 360 degree turn to check your surroundings then year a dinosaur sound like it's right behind you :P ) and I encountered a zombie Raptor - I killed it, it fell over, then it's head/neck 'came back to life' and kept snarling at me. I have it as a saved game file if anyone wants to take a look. It's rather amusing.

All in all, it was excellent fun! Looking forward to future updates. :wink:
Ah, there's nothing more exciting than science. You get all the fun of sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers, paying attention... Science has it all." - Principal Skinner.
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Just a question for people who have played it...does the cerato use alberta vocals or does it have new ones. Because I know I made some but I don't know if I passed them along
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Chris wrote:dinosaur sound effects always sounded like the creature was right next to me rather than at a distance
That's why I recommend modders use existing dinosaur sounds primarily whenever possible.. we can't get the new sounds to use proper distance volume calculation and no one knows why for sure. And yeah, it is freaky :lol: but also a bit annoying when you hear the sound and you know the dino is many meters off.. :? EastDock's dilo suffers the same, of course.
I encountered a zombie Raptor - I killed it, it fell over, then it's head/neck 'came back to life' and kept snarling at me.
Same here, and it has been reported numerous times over the years for "Beta1". Here's a shot..
ImageImage

Still have not seen the Alberta yet, maybe I'll get to that later today..

*Okay it looks like I forgot to upload the save file in my previous post.. >_> Here it is. At least, this should be the one..
*EDIT: Haha, it says the extension .002 is not allowed. How odd..
*EDIT: Haha, okay apparently it has to be smaller than 256 kb. No attachment, then, here is the file link:
http://www.box.net/shared/0ost55x2sd