Management front office desk. Ask away.

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Webteam, TresCom Board Managers

Lord Rapteru
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg
Antispam: No

Possible Albertosaurs in the Ascent Part 2

Post by Lord Rapteru »

When I first played Trespasser the Ascent Part 2 there were two Albertosaurs. The first one I believe is somewhere after the first jumping puzzle. The other one is right by those pillars before the mountain climb in the valley. I saw them once again when I played with cheats. But after I load a level with level select. They were gone. After many years this is the one thing that I would never forget. I believe this should be something for TresCOM Team to look into.
THEL1NK1N2
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Re: Possible Albertosaurs in the Ascent Part 2

Post by THEL1NK1N2 »

Welcome to the forums, Lord Rapteru. Hehe, nice name.

How old were you when you played the game, the first time? I sure can't remember a Albertosaur, in Ascent 2. Gotta admit, that was the level I played the least.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Welcome, Lord Rapteru, to Jurassic Park. 8)

This topic would be more appropriate in the Questions section, if someone could move it...

Rapteru, I'm not quite sure what to make of your observation; there are two Albertosaurs in Ascent1 but none in Ascent2. The spots you note in Ascent2 are familiar; in the first spot, there are 2 raptors and they are always there when I play the level. In the second spot, I think there are also some raptors, but no albertas.
I've just loaded up the level and searched sufficiently in TresEd: there are no Albertosaurs present anywhere in the level, it's impossible to have seen one. The only way you could still prove their existance there is if they were somehow added with the large patch, which makes no sense to me... Anyone here with the large patch care to look into that?

One interesting note about As2 I discovered while looking. All the drinking vocal cubes (and only them) are missing values and thus present as gray meshes, meaning that no dinosaur can make a drinking vocal (if they had ActDrink to begin with). It's the same sort of thing tc~river has by removing certain player vocals by removing the values of select vocal cubes.. odd.
enigma
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by enigma »

Perhaps just a mistake between the two. Or maybe accidentally put a 2 instead of a 1? :)
In the large patch no dinosaurs added or differently positioned.

Both levels to me always seemed the same, same thing only twice, except the climb up the mountain is fun, as you can throw stuff off the edge and see how far it goes. Have got mixed up between the two myself, loaded up as2 for the part where you ascend up the mayan ruins, then realised it is as1
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Welcome to TresCom, Lord Rapteru. :mrgreen:
Draconisaurus wrote:Anyone here with the large patch care to look into that?
OK...
Nope, no Albertosaurus in AS2, only tribe C raptors.
Lord Rapteru
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Lord Rapteru »

It was the after Christmas the year it was released. Also one time an albertosaur came charging down that mountain by ruins before the first jumping puzzle and killed me because I was only expected Raptor Tribe C. Other than those times I mentioned I only encountered Raptor Tribe C. I have very good memory about oddities when I play a game.
Lord Rapteru
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Lord Rapteru »

I just remembered something when I first installed trespasser the register and agreement stuff wasn't in English it was in some kind of foreign language with crazy characters that was when I encountered the Albertosaurs in the Ascent Part 2 and all times I encountered those albertosaurs was before I reinstalled or patched so the was in English and from that point on I only encountered Raptor Tribe C expect for the one time when it came rushing down that mountain.
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

Please, don't double post, use the Edit button.

I guess it is a possibility that the your version of the game had differences, but it is unlikely...
Could you reinstall it (without patching) to check the level again and try to figure out what language it was?
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Btw, there is no jumping puzzle in ac2 right? Only in the first one?
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

tatu wrote:Btw, there is no jumping puzzle in ac2 right? Only in the first one?
Nah, there is that frustrating one after you pass the first Mayan columns of As2, with the ugly white rocks. :yum: I always have to save the level just before that and make several attempts, if I don't use the fly cheat.. I recall when I first played the game, it took at least 10 minutes. I think now I can do it in 2 or less. :?

And Nick's suggestion is the only option left, it would be fascinating (and highly unlikely) to discover actual level file differences among language releases. As far as we know, only TPA files were modded (and perhaps menus? I'm not sure). Also I bet the hints in the EXE had to be modded..
THEL1NK1N2
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by THEL1NK1N2 »

Draconisaurus wrote:Nah, there is that frustrating one after you pass the first Mayan columns of As2, with the ugly white rocks. :yum: I always have to save the level just before that and make several attempts, if I don't use the fly cheat.. I recall when I first played the game, it took at least 10 minutes. I think now I can do it in 2 or less. :?
Yeah, definitely in agreement about the difficulty that "puzzle". Probably the most frustrating puzzle in the game... That puzzle really spoilt a big part of the level for me, now that I think of it..
They should have left that out, or tried something more creative.
Draconisaurus wrote:And Nick's suggestion is the only option left, it would be fascinating (and highly unlikely) to discover actual level file differences among language releases. As far as we know, only TPA files were modded (and perhaps menus? I'm not sure). Also I bet the hints in the EXE had to be modded..
Highly unlikely, but just think how much of a shocker it would be! :D
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

THEL1NK1N2 wrote:
Draconisaurus wrote:Nah, there is that frustrating one after you pass the first Mayan columns of As2, with the ugly white rocks. :yum: I always have to save the level just before that and make several attempts, if I don't use the fly cheat.. I recall when I first played the game, it took at least 10 minutes. I think now I can do it in 2 or less. :?
Yeah, definitely in agreement about the difficulty that "puzzle". Probably the most frustrating puzzle in the game... That puzzle really spoilt a big part of the level for me, now that I think of it..
They should have left that out, or tried something more creative.
Huh? What's difficult about that one? It's really easy, it takes at most two tries to pass...
Draconisaurus wrote:And Nick's suggestion is the only option left, it would be fascinating (and highly unlikely) to discover actual level file differences among language releases. As far as we know, only TPA files were modded (and perhaps menus? I'm not sure). Also I bet the hints in the EXE had to be modded..
Highly unlikely, but just think how much of a shocker it would be! :D
Why a shocker? In fact, I managed to examine the Spanish language version some time ago, not only the TPAs, menus and EXE but also the Beach level files were changed. Here are my findings:

- First, the disc is labeled "Trespasser_S" (instead of "Trespasser_116d").
- Then the executables are version 1.0.117.0 (all three of them).
- There's no "ereg" folder in the disc.
- The Readme files have been translated into Spanish.
- The EAhelp.exe file is in English, but it's from the UK version.
- The level files are the same from the English version, except for the be.wtd and be.grf files (be.wtd appears to be the same as the one from the full patch).
- Menu.tpa and ambient.tpa are the same from the English version, while Effects.tpa and Stream.tpa have been edited to contain Spanish language voiceovers for both Anne and Hammond.
- However, the voiceovers don't have any subtitles, even though the various hints and standalone subtitles (from the executables) have been translated into Spanish.
- Similarly, all menus have been translated into Spanish, but the "Display subtitles" option has been removed from the Audio menu.
- All .smk files except credits.smk have been translated into Spanish.

So that's it, practically a translated version with the small patch pre-applied.
I wish someone with the German version would tell us if it has any similar differences... was there a Russian version too?
According to Remdul, the differences betweeen the UK and US versions are minimal: the UK disc is labeled "Trespass_UK_116", and the "ereg" folder is missing too.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Lord Rapteru
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Lord Rapteru »

How many language versions are there because the language I encountered was not North American I believe could have been in Russian I am not very sure it has been a long time. If you would show me the agreement and register screen in each different language that trespasser came out with the name of the language. Then I would be able to pick it out, which version I encountred.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

That's something we're missing... I'm trying to get people to report on that. Hey, Drac, does your Hong Kong version have any differences from the US one?

According to various sources (including Amazon.de), the German version is translated into German; I'm trying to find out about the Russian one (if there is one, in the first place).
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
THEL1NK1N2
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by THEL1NK1N2 »

machf wrote: Why a shocker? In fact, I managed to examine the Spanish language version some time ago, not only the TPAs, menus and EXE but also the Beach level files were changed. Here are my findings:
I meant the fact that they would change design aspects of levels, specifically the dinosaurs, just for a different language version, would be a shocker...