Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Webteam, TresCom Board Managers

Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Questions for Rob Wyatt

Post by Slugger »

Post your questions here for Rob Wyatt!

In case you missed it, earlier last year I posted a link to InsomniacGames' podcast page. In episode 11, Mr. Wyatt was interview by Rolf Mohr (who we interviewed last year), during the "Rolf's Rant" section. Among other topics, they discuss Trespasser. I'd recommend listening to it if you haven't already done so!
http://www.insomniacgames.com/podcast

Now, onto the questions! :)
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
masterchiefoo7
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by masterchiefoo7 »

well he was the lead programmer, right?

1) what was your first reaction when DWI asked you to program the first physics based game?

2) are you happy with the outcome of the game, despite the response given by the media? (hey we have always loved it)

3) what games are you currently working on?

can someone ask all the AI questions we are dying to know about please?

and I'll have more later.
Hammond: When they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing worked!

Ian: Yeah, but when Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists...

visit my website @ http://www.freewebs.com/masterchiefoo7
Ghosty
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by Ghosty »

Perhaps we can ask him about all the unfinished easter eggs and cut out parts... Like when Anne says that she could be rich by sending all the info via a sattelite. Would they have included that part if they had time?
He should know since he was the Lead Programmer :wink:
Fear the Boo!

"The Hunters Landed on may 13:th
1997 deep in the islands southwest,
most of them had worked at my
African parks for years...
They never stood a chance..."

John P. Hammond
Asjad
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Asjad »

Since he was the lead programmer, I think it's appropriate to ask this:

1) Mr Wyatt, we truly appreciate how well the physics based dinosaur animations work, considering the technology and resources of that time period, Trespasser was way ahead of it's time. We would love to know how these animations were created, how they work and how they were implemented into the various AI activities.

2) Following up on AI, we speculate that some AI activities were cut off whilst some may have never gone beyond an idea or a concept; ( forexample a jumping velociraptor shown in a concept art image ), not making it to the implementation phase. Could you tell us what activities were cut off and those that were planned, but were never actually worked on?
Last edited by Asjad on Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Ask him if he got the Trespasser engine :yes:
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

I almost forgot: Mr. Wyatt also was on the team who designed and built the original XBox. I'm sure he would entertain questions of that nature too!
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
TheGuy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Post by TheGuy »

1) Were there going to be any NPC's in the game? If so, was any code left over?

2) Were there going to be any more engine features if you had more time to finish the code? Are there any that were finished but not used in the final product?

3) Did you have any special tools to help with construction?

4) How do you think Trespasser would have turned out if you had plenty of time and money to finish it of?

5) Your team did an excellent job on the game even though it wasn't quite finished. Did you get lots of praise?

6) Do you think that there is any hope that EA will release the source code under the GPL?

Thank you.
ImageImage
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Slugger wrote:I almost forgot: Mr. Wyatt also was on the team who designed and built the original XBox. I'm sure he would entertain questions of that nature too!
Hmmm... does that mean he may still be in contact with Seamus Blackley, too?
Tell him about the Trespasser Anniversary chat...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Shadow Wolf
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus
Location: living underground in the middle of freaking nowhere

Re: Questions for Rob Wyatt

Post by Shadow Wolf »

Slugger wrote:Post your questions here for Rob Wyatt!

In case you missed it, earlier last year I posted a link to InsomniacGames' podcast page. In episode 11, Mr. Wyatt was interview by Rolf Mohr (who we interviewed last year), during the "Rolf's Rant" section. Among other topics, they discuss Trespasser. I'd recommend listening to it if you haven't already done so!
http://www.insomniacgames.com/podcast

Now, onto the questions! :)
hmmm I'm currently in contact with Mr Mohr via Email, seems like a nice guy and I for one consider it an honour to hear from these guys. can't think of any questions offhand for Mr Wyatt, maybe favorite thing about Tres/favorite level
post something intelligent before I go insane from a combination of exhaustion and boredom
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

I've always wondered if any of them tried out any of the created levels or have seen all the work that's gone on and what their thoughts on it.
Shadow Wolf
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Shadow Wolf »

Second Illiteration wrote:I've always wondered if any of them tried out any of the created levels or have seen all the work that's gone on and what their thoughts on it.
how many people actually worked on Tres Approximately?
post something intelligent before I go insane from a combination of exhaustion and boredom
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Around 25-30, maybe... they were all listed on the Trepasser Team page (mirrored at TresCom).
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

How difficult was it to design and build the advanced physics engine? Since Trespasser was pioneering in this area (as far as games concerned), where did the knowledge come from, from the high-end simulation/engineering field, games industry or just well-educated programmers?

Who worked on the physics engine?

There are rumors Havok was based on the the Trespasser physics engine, what do you know about that?

How hard was it to make the dinosaurs walk, alive, and be 'all physical' without the simulation falling apart?

What about Trespasser are you most satisfied about? And what not?

What is the most important thing you learned during development?
Last edited by Remdul on Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Wolf
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Shadow Wolf »

machf wrote:Around 25-30, maybe... they were all listed on the Trepasser Team page (mirrored at TresCom).
cool, dunno about the others but Mr Mohr seems like a down to earth guy, it's a shame these guys aren't the ones with the source code... may have to look at the Tres Team page sometime.

EDIT: nice ideas Remdul :yes:
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

Well, even if they had the source, they can't just give it away. You have to realize they all signed a Non Disclosure Agreement, perhaps much more legal papers. They would almost certainly break the law by leaking it, risking prosecution.