How can I put a raptor drinking?

Post by Mickey »

How can I put a raptor drinking?
How can I program it two drink? :wink:
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Mick, just use the raptor t-script from TC Level. From that point, go up to the steg pond and turn on 'Invisible Objects'. Towards the front corner (where steg drinks from), take notice to the partially submerged water target (AI Type = 15?). That's what you need to place just beneath any water surface. The Raptors, Rex and Stegs in TC are set to drink.
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

I wonder what a Brach would do. I don't think that works, does it?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Good question, Remdul .. .. I do not know!

I'd probably have to say no, though. I doubt that they have the joints needed to arch their necks as required. If you ever noticed, even their chewing is nothing more than a slight twitch of their mouths. Although, stegs drink and they have the same relative movement involved.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

They don't? Hmmm... The ones in Carnivores 2 are constantly lowering their necks to drink and/or eat (as they are usually found near water bodies). What would be needed to alter the model so that they can do that?

BTW, I once commented about having almost finished documenting the file format used for the models in Carnivores, in case anyone wanted to try importing them or anything... I've been thinking for a while of posting a list of dinosaurs not present in Trespasser, so here it is:

- From Carnivores: Pachycephalosaurus, Allosaurus, Gallimimus, Moshops, Dimorphodon (though the last two ones aren't dinosaurs, strictly speaking)

- From Carnivores 2 (aside from ones already present in Carnivores): Ankylosaurus, Chasmosaurus, Spinosaurus, Ceratosaurus, Dimetrodon, Pteranodon (again, the last two aren't dinosaurs)

[Carnivores: Ice Age, as the name implies, has mammals and birds from the Ice Age rather than dinosaurs, so I don't include the list here because I don't think it would be of interest...)
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Doesn't Carnivores use scripted animation though, Machf? I never really attempted to hack those games much, just changed the gui once, swapped dinosaurs and AIs from one incarnation of the game to another. You get some funky results throwing a BigFoot into the 1st Carnivores --

I played Cityscape last year, that one was pretty good to play thru (at least there were goals), though I haven't played the other in quite some time.

(Btw, your site looks good)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Well, I'd say the engine is a generation behind the one from Trespasser, it doesn't use a skeleton for the models and the possible animations for each of them are stored within the model file itself on a frame-by-frame basis. (BTW, the Brachiosaurus lacks a "death" animation -though the rest of the animations are similar to the ones for the Stegosaurus, too-, probably for very similar reasons...)

You say you swapped AIs between the games, not just the models? Hmmm... how? I believe the AIs are contained within the V_*.ren files, but I don't know exactly where (yet). So, when I import a model from a different incarnation of the game, I must look for an AI that more or less matches it (for example, the Archaeopteryx from C:IA seems to have pretty much the same AI as the Pteranodon from C2) and assign it to the creature. But have you found a way to modify/add AIs to the original files?

Thanks for the praise, I'm in the process of updating the rest of my site during these days ('long weekend' because monday and tuesday are our independence day*, and as such, a holiday).

*Actually, the 28th is independence day, the 29th is 'parade day'...
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Well, happy independance day to you!

(been so long ago (hacking around carnivores, don't recall much, sorry)