That plane...

Management front office desk. Ask away.

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Webteam, TresCom Board Managers

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

That plane...

Post by machf »

You know, there's something I've been considering for quite some time... something not quite right with that crashed plane... but I kept forgetting to comment about it. So, before I forget once again, I'm going to mention it:

The B-29 had two pressurized compartments (the cockpit and the aft section), connected by a narrow tunnel which ran over the bomb bays, through which the crew had to crawl if they wanted to go from one compartment to the other. The plane wreckage Anne finds on that island, although externally very similar to a B-29, does look different on the inside. So, I've reached a conclusion: it's not an actual B-29 that crashed there during WW2, but instead, a movie prop built by some Hollywood studio for filming on that island and left there after they finished (similar things have been known to have happened).

PS for Remdul: though it would be interesting to have Anne crawling through the tunnel to reach the cockpit... do you want me to scan a cutaway drawing of the B-29 for you? (Now that I think of it, maybe I remember you requesting such a thing some time ago...)
mega raptor
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by mega raptor »

But if that was a hollywood prop, then how come they didn't encounter dinos? The raptor territory surrounded them on both sides, at least some of them would of at least encountered the dinos. Plus, they probly would of scouted the island by air and notice the lab, venture and other junk. Unless hollywood did it before then, and we don't really know the age of the island, but it looks like it's been abandoned for a few years at the least. But on the other hand, it could explain the person who was on the venture, who had been abandoned for somereason... Mystery upon mystery.
MikeTheRaptor
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

Mega raptor - it's possible they did encounter dinosaurs, and left for that reason.

Interesting ideas, nonetheless...
masterchiefoo7
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by masterchiefoo7 »

the movie could have been shot before the dinosaurs came, but then why would they leave it?

and whats up with the pacific islanders heads?why are those there?
mega raptor
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by mega raptor »

There are two possiblilties. One: The hollywood guys left them there. Two: the mayans or whatever culture left them there.
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

That plane seems more like one suited for parachuters.
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Even though the plane may not appear one hundred percent structurally correct, I don't see that as a reason to surmise it is just a movie prop rather than a real B-29 bomber used in the Pacific theatre during the second world war. If you look at other vehicles in Trespasser, namely the buses, trucks and jeeps, you will notice they too do not appear structurally correct either.

With any PC game, (as is the case with good theatre or film), there has to be a certain suspension of belief, for players to immerse themselves into the fantasy of the story.

In my mind, the airplane in TC-Isle is as accurate of an image of a B-29 bomber as the trucks, buses and jeeps are in their own right in Trespasser proper.

Consequently, in the context of that suspension of belief, it is my conclusion that the B-29 in TC-Isle was an actual U.S. bomber that flew in the Pacific theatre that somehow crash landed on the island during the second world war.
Last edited by Dapper Dan on Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
Remdul
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Remdul »

A movie prop! lol :lol:

No, its supposed to be a real WWII B-29. I didn't have much time to check out references for the interior. Even though I think I did a good job on the gun turret, and the cockpit.
I wanted to add those bomb racks as well, and that tunnel leading towards the aft turret, but the polycount was quite high already, so I decided to make something that looked reasonably realistic and was easy to explore (making it spacy enough for Anne to get thru).

At first we wanted to make those turrets functional, so you could blast away a few raptors which where teleported to the location after you entered the plane.

The reason why its there? We got a nice story for that, but I'm not going to explain that yet, you'll have to figure it out in the final release. 8)
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

I think y'all did an excellent job on the B-29, Remdul.
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Slugger »

Dapper Dan wrote:I think y'all did an excellent job on the B-29, Remdul.
Agreed. A very excellent job! :mrgreen:

I'd really like it if the turrents were workable. 8)
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
mega raptor
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by mega raptor »

That would be cool.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Dapper Dan wrote:Even though the plane may not appear one hundred percent structurally correct, I don't see that as a reason to surmise it is just a movie prop rather than a real B-29

<snip>

With any PC game, (as is the case with good theatre or film), there has to be a certain suspension of belief

<snip>

Consequently, in the context of that suspension of belief, it is my conclusion that the B-29 in TC-Isle was an actual U.S. bomber

<snip>
I know. My comment is what's known as "attempt at rationalization". And it shouldn't be taken too seriously.
(Ever tried to explain odd stuff in sci-fi movies or such?)
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

I'm with you, I do the same thing. You had me giving serious thought to the idea that the B-29 may have been an abandoned movie prop. So much so, I had to think it through which was good. I was sharing my thoughts and rationalizations on what ultimately convinced me it was an actual bomber within the game.

Now, if we could just determine the age of the church... ;)
Second Illiteration
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Second Illiteration »

I think everything in the game is a movie prop....from this movie I saw a few years back, called THE LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK...it had all of these things in it....dinosaurs, jeeps, trees....

so I'm thinking that movie prop idea may be right.... :wink: :lol:
MikeTheRaptor

Post by MikeTheRaptor »

Second Illiteration wrote:I think everything in the game is a movie prop....from this movie I saw a few years back, called THE LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK
:lol: SI's right about that!

Anyhow, yeah - the plane is supposed to be a real WWII plane but you guys still had some interesting ideas! The whole movie set thing reminds me of the rich family landing on Sorna in TLW. They didn't know the dinos were there - and when they did, they high tailed out and (according to Tres's story) apparently left some stuff behind.