It's here!!! (some spoilers inside)

Management front office desk. Ask away.

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Webteam, TresCom Board Managers

Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Don't have much time right now, so a short reply:

There are already more than one ways to solve at least one puzzle in the beta version of the level. (Edit: Rebel posted 1 minute before I did, I now know 2 puzzles which can be solved in more than 1 ways)

As for those that want to take the shortest way, why not use the win cheat straight away? No offense, but if you're not into exploring, I don't think Trespasser is the game for you. You know as well as I do that your goal is not to shoot everything you see.

Yes, I want to get off the island, but not before I've seen it all. But maybe that's just me.

Edit:
Now that I think of it, you can out-run 'n jump any dino. I've done that with the 5 or 6 raptors down at the dam. Now where is the fun in that?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

hilwo wrote: As for those that want to take the shortest way, why not use the win cheat straight away? No offense, but if you're not into exploring, I don't think Trespasser is the game for you. You know as well as I do that your goal is not to shoot everything you see.

Yes, I want to get off the island, but not before I've seen it all. But maybe that's just me.
That's not just you, it's most of us (if not all), but the problem with that is that we aren't too many. Wouldn't you like to get more people interested in Trespasser? (No, I'm not suggesting that you replace a couple of raptors with nude women or anything like that!)

Moving on to other things... (random thoughts, mostly)

The graffiti was a nice touch. I wonder if it's possible to allow the player to use the spray can, though (never mind if you can only spray a predefined "ANNE WUZ HERE" graffiti). Or have Anne say "Empty" when picking it up.

I wonder what the former lighthouse keeper might have kept there. Maybe a gun to shoot at the seagulls (at the top)? A toolbox which you can open and find some tools (pliers, screwdriver) inside it (near the generator)? A spyglass (on the table, or maybe fixed to the railing at the top), with which you can take a closer look at things (especially from the top of the lighthouse, have it pointed towards the ship, but it would be a valuable item if you carry it anywhere with you) - is it doable, like the scope on the sniper rifle? A radio (on the table), to contact any approaching ships (never mind if it's broken by now)?

Aboard the ship, hmmm... a tranquilizer gun or two locked in a cabinet (which you need to open first)? As I've seen breakable glass (inside the main complex), the cabinet's door may be made of glass and see if the player is smart enough to break it...

Inside the bomber... I still think it would be a good place for a handgun. Placing the pilot's and copilot's corpses may be too gory for some people, but it would add to the background story (they attempted to land on the surface of the water, I guess, as there isn't a good landing place on the island). Of course, if that were the case, well, with InGen on the island, one would wonder why nobody took the corpses out to have them properly buried, and that would require that you add a lot more vegetation around it to attempt to explain why they didn't notice it, so it may not be a good idea... you could find a toolbox there, though (and put the tools inside it).

The lumber camp... well, aside from replaying DooM, you could find more tools there (and I think it would be a good place for another porta-potty). I'm also wondering, why woud InGen be interested in chopping trees? To use them for the pillars in the tunnels? The wooden bridge? The small pier near the ship? Most constructions on the island aren't made of wood... maybe add a couple wooden sheds.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Some good suggestions, machf. Most relate to the finer points, those little details that haven't been added to the beta, mainly since just assembling the main elements of the island were difficult enough to ready.

L.House ideas are cool (a few, similar to our own ideas), and of course we've always considered the venture, b29 and the complex itself as in unfinished states. The b29 does have a story to tell, an event potential, but again, it's something that we didn't have time for with the beta.

Logging camp: Porta potty ain't bad, but being a former hunter and having spent years on isolated construction sites, you sorta grow accustomed to lack of facilities, if you know what I mean. Most of the lighthouse (except the tower is of wood construction), the docks, timber and planking needed for the caverns... I've always thought it seemed a fair balance compared to what was cut and what might have been used.

Spraycan: Can set it up to spray out its mist, but not to paint out squiggily lines or graffiti at random locations. That's not doable. The message allowed is an easteregg, of course.

Thanks for the input. All those little details offered is helpful feedback.

;)

Edit: Not so sure just how may more 'new' trespasser players we can get, machf. From a retail sale standpoint, the game is nearly as extinct as the dinosaurs themselves. :?
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Post by Slugger »

Rebel wrote: Edit: Not so sure just how may more 'new' trespasser players we can get, machf. From a retail sale standpoint, the game is nearly as extinct as the dinosaurs themselves. :?
I've referenced it to several people Rebel, who've miracously found a viable (= official, still in original box) copy somewhere.
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

quick reply:

machf:
The reason why I haven't given good ideas like yours, is that this is a beta version. I can point out lots of ideas too, but this is just the beta version :wink:

This may be silly to some, but to me, addition of a storyline seems more important rather than adding more stuff. I still believe that the lighthouse will have a function. And I too am interested in the lighthousekeeper, his background etc. But that's the story, and I hope a great one will be added to the final version.

Edit:
I also think that a lot of stuff you mentioned is already being added to the final version, and that the guys who are behind the level didn't want to show us everything right away.

I also would have done something with the balloon. Have it hang in a tree, and have Anne solve a puzzle to get down. Or have Anne in the water, in the balloon, having to reach the island. I'd like to see the suitcase again, too. One way or another...

Edit 2:
I also thought about the B-52. InGen must have seen it. I'm not sure what island it is, don't think the guys behind the level choose one of the Five Deaths. Maybe they just didn't care...
Markosaur
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Markosaur »

thats not a B-52, its a WW2, B-29 superfortress long range high altitude bomber :P
and also it might not be that old, i mean there are restored privatly owned aircraft around, maybe one of them was out for a short flight but got lost in a storm and crashed :D
Oooh ahhh thats how it starts, and then later there's running and screaming
- Ian Malcom: The Lost World
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Nothing wrong with you gents throwing ideas around -- might help us to change our own ideas, develop others or adopt some of your suggestions. 8)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Well, the original purpose of beta versions in the first place was to "test the waters" (get feedback from the testers to see what could be changed for the final release), and right for that it's a "work in progress".

Of course, it's likely that the people who'll play this level in the end will be the same who have downloaded and tested the beta version in the first place...

After posting I realized that, in order to play the new levels for Trespasser, people would need to own an original copy of the game in the first place... that complicates things a little more. But then I remembered another game from 1998: GPL (Grand Prix Legends). That's another game that's still great today, thanks in great part to the various add-ons released by users in the years following its release, and the game does look much better than the original with all that (a lot like what you're doing with Trespasser). Then this year, someone decided to apply modified versions of all the upgrades for the full game to the original demo version and make it available as a "GPL 2004 demo", so that after seeing it, people would be encouraged to get the game (it didn't sell too well back then when it was released, so there are possibly stockpiles of it still lying around and/or being sold really cheap) and apply all the upgrades. I'm thinking someone could do something like that with the Trespasser demo (updated dinosaurs, better textures, improved LOD, that sort of thing) to get people hooked on Trespasser. Of course, this has nothing to do with the current subject of this thread, but it's an idea worth mentioning...
mega raptor
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by mega raptor »

Does anyone know how to get into the lab compound? I tried looking for the card on the Venture, in the lighthouse, by the jeep, lumber yard, around the gate, the docks, thats it. Does anyone even know if or why the venture is important, or were the card is? I even looked for it in tresed, no show. Then, again I didn't find the para there either...
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

One word: Screwdriver
Markosaur
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Markosaur »

u talking about the elevator or the area? u cant get past the gate or what?
Oooh ahhh thats how it starts, and then later there's running and screaming
- Ian Malcom: The Lost World
Slugger
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-
Antispam: No

Post by Slugger »

Rebel wrote:One word: Screwdriver
MacGyverisms, eh? :D
0066521C: 'Cannot create local swap file - Is Trespasser installed??',0Ah,0
"Cold lino was the driving force behind world power!"
mega raptor
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by mega raptor »

I was wondering if the screwdriver was important.

Anyways, what story does the S.S. venture have to tell? Was it on the way to Sorna, then get lost and land on TC Isle? If so, I think it would be cool to be in the lab at the camera room, looking at a moniter that was positioned over the gate, then you watch as a T-rex steps through the gates and into the compound.

Maybe you could even find the rex and it's baby I sleeping in the cargo hold (which would be like it's nest) and you'd be able to see a hole in the cargo hold that you wouldn't be able to climb through. Thus would give you something else to worry about, and maybe an explantion for the guy who locks you in the ship: he's from InGen, trying to relocate the rexes, or being sent to scope out the island. (Unlike Site B, it isn't that damaged, and possibly re-enterable.)
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Regarding the ship, the interior needs some more detail: crew quarters, a galley, a compass on the bridge... the ship did have a crew at some time, after all, and I don't think it's ususal to remove every single bit of evidence of human presence from a ship, even if it's wrecked...
RaptorX9
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by RaptorX9 »

The best thing so far for me is when I got the Chain Saw Weapon (its a workible weapon, it turns on and off its awsome!)