Linux or not...

Discuss Programming / Linux questions.

Moderators: scallenger, Sky, TresCom Support Team

the ARK
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by the ARK »

:) I have no clue what you mean. I just would like to be able to choose on startup between Linux and Windows.

Nvida does make Ti4800. The soundcard is whatever comes wiht the motherboard, and no highspeed internet for me yet.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Sorry ARK, we weren't trying to overwhelm you with information, just trying to work out the easiest and safest way for you to do what you want, and at the same time, avoid the trouble that you could run into on your first time out. The first time I tried setting up my computer to dual boot, I screwed up A LOT, and had to try over several times! I don't want to see you running into the same problems. I presume this new box is going to be from a vendor or one you are going to build? In both cases, since it will not yet have any of your valuable files on it, the worst that could happen is you would just have to reinstall Windows.
I would go ahead and invest in a soundblaster card, if it does not come with one. They are reasonably priced and give good performance.
You will be good to go with the Nvidia card. :)
If you intend to dual boot, and will be using 56k phone line, do not use a Winmodem since few of them work with Linux. It would be best to use an external phone modem. Most of them work with Linux, and will give you better overall performance on both operating systems. :)
the ARK
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by the ARK »

I'm sure I'll understand what you mean soon. :)

I'll be putting the computer together myself. I remember that the sound card is a nice one, but I don't remember the brand. I will be using an external 56k.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

the ARK wrote:I'll be putting the computer together myself.
Then there will be no chance of screwing up existing files. What Windows will you be using?
the ARK wrote:I remember that the sound card is a nice one, but I don't remember the brand.
Please let me know if it is a Turtle Beach. Some of them work well with Linux and others can cause problems. I had to switch from a TB to a SB because the TB wasn't performing exactly right.
the ARK wrote:I will be using an external 56k.
Just to be safe, check to make sure it works with Linux. A few Googles should answer that question. :)
Troodon

Post by Troodon »

If he intends to dual-boot then I would think he doesn't need all functionality on both systems. :)

Just make sure you install Windows first, the Linux installer will detect it and ask whether you want to dual boot, etc.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Troodon wrote:Just make sure you install Windows first, the Linux installer will detect it and ask whether you want to dual boot, etc.
Yes! ALWAYS install Windows first! :yes: Doing otherwise causes problems..
the ARK
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by the ARK »

I'll be using XP Home. It's not a TB, I'm sue of that. I'll check on the modem.