Red Hat 9.0

Discuss Programming / Linux questions.

Moderators: scallenger, Sky, TresCom Support Team

Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Red Hat 9.0

Post by Dapper Dan »

Troodon, I got apt-get rpm, with the synaptic front end, up and going in a matter of minutes under 9.0. I had read a few Googles where some were having a hard time getting it going on 9.0. Whatever the problems may have been, it's fixed now!
Also, in a sort of, kind of related note, I found out that Trespasser installs much more easily on RH 9.0 than it does on Mandrake.
Troodon

Post by Troodon »

Thanks DD, for the tip. :)

I really like RH 9; it's stable, fast -- and all Perl scripts actually COMPILE!!!!. The only major hurdle RedHat face now to trigger a mass migration to their platform is, IMO, getting the attention of major software developers such as Adobe, Corel, Symantec, etc. Microsoft are already miserable the desktop solution market is saturated (for their products) and nobody wants their crappy .NET stuff, they're even forging a strategic alliance with IBM to co-market/co-advertise web services.
Troodon

Post by Troodon »

Dan, I can't seem to get Wine from winehq.org to run on RH 9. I tried several RPMs (different versions from sourceforge and elsewhere) and I can't even run notepad; instead, I get a lot of segmentation fault errors. Any ideas? Thanks.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Hmm, can't remember if I ever tried Wine from hq before. The one I began with was Codeweavers. It installs real easily and I was able to run a few Windows apps with it...

I just visited there site and now remember that Codeweavers Wine is no longer free..bummer!

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/office/

I did purchase Crossover Office wine which I found to be well worth it. I may have an old tarball of free Codeweavers lying around here some place. If I can find it, do you want it?
Troodon

Post by Troodon »

Thanks, Dan. I googled the web on wine and it seems RH 9 is quite picky as to what version of wine it is compatible with and I assume that might apply to older codeweavers tarballs, too. As for running commercial software on Linux, I will try to avoid that option for as long as I can... ;)
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Troodon, believe it or not, I'm using KDE, and am begrudgingly starting to like it. For some reason, I'm getting a pile of errors when I try to run Gnome or Nautilus and nothing seems to fix it.

Trying to get IceWM configurators running on RedHat 8 and 9 is like trying to ride a bicycle with the front wheel missing! I've got IceWM running, but all the menu and preference programs just refuse to work. They worked without a hitch in MDK 9.0. I've gone on line asking for help and googling everywhere, but I'm starting to get the feeling I'm one of a very few who are running it. I even went to their website and tried to get the folks there to help and haven't heard a word. There just doesn't seem to be any support for it. What a shame! It is a great GUI, with low memory usage and is much faster than KDE or Gnome.

Anyway, KDE has come a long way since I used it on MDK 8.3. What a difference!

I found the free Codeweavers RPM and will be glad to send it to you if you want. What have you got to loose?
Troodon

Post by Troodon »

I found the free Codeweavers RPM and will be glad to send it to you if you want.
Well, if it's a free RPM compatible with RH 9 then I definitely can't refuse it! :) How large is it? My email account has a limit in terms of attchment size. If file is too large maybe there is a webserver that I could download it from? Thanks.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

It's 6.1 mb.
Troodon

Post by Troodon »

That would produce a ~8MB attachment. I have no email account that can accomodate an attachment that large. We have two options here:

(1) either you can temporarily upload it to, say, your company website and I grab it from there;

or

(2) I give you the password for my geocities/yahoo account and you upload it there.

Which one would be more convenient for you?

Thanks.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

I'll send a PM.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Troo, if you're still checking in, I've been making uo a dual boot box for an associate with RH9 and I can't believe how unstable Gnome is as compared to how it ran on Mdk 9! KDE is much more stable! It's also faster on RH9 than on Mdk 9 which is wierd since with Mdk it's tuned to 586..