windows emulators on linux?

Discuss Programming / Linux questions.

Moderators: scallenger, Sky, TresCom Support Team

Troodon

windows emulators on linux?

Post by Troodon »

Dan, which of the Windoze emulators for Linux/Unix is available free of charge? I'm about to install RH 9 on a spare computer and I think it's time I had a look at that. Thanks.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Troodon, the only ways I know of that you can run Windows from a Linux desktop is with either VMware or Win4lin, and neither are free. I've never used VMware, but I know someone who has used it. He says it acts as a "virtual machine" which allows you to install and operate any OS you want. I understand it'is very slow, and costs somewhere in the $300.00 or more range.

We've been using Win4lin at the radio station for about 6 months now to run Quickbooks 2000 Pro, which it does flawlessly, and we absolutely love it! For everything else though, we're Linux all the way! You can run any Windows OS this side of 2000, and it's MUCH more stable! Running Windows 98 2E we've only gotten two "illegal operations" in 6 months and we use it daily. Not bad eh? :wink:

Win4lin costs $89.99 and is worth every penny. In fact, knowing how well it runs, I would have bought it at twice the price. The only programs it will not run are games as it doesn't support DirectX. Other than that, I have yet to install a Windows program that it will not run as well as natively.

Have you already downloaded RH 9.1? I tried to find it a few weeks ago with no luck. I did download 9.0 and made the cd's but didn't install as I understand it will not run Synaptic. I tell you Troodon, I love RedHat 8 every bit as much as Mandrake 9 but for different reasons! :D
Troodon

Post by Troodon »

Thanks, Dan. Well, I don't want to run windows but windows-specific software. So I think wine is what I would call a "windows emulator" but I got lost in terminology. :)

As for RH 9.1, I don't think it exists. RH appear to have switched to a release model that only includes major releases and updates.

I tried again with MDK 9.1 and I strongly advise anyone against making the same mistake. :)
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Sorry, I was in a hurry to post cause I had to run to the grocery store and I didn't read your post carefully enough. I wrongly assumed you were wanting to give a shot at running Windows itself from your Linux desktop. So you just want to run specific programs with Wine? Codeweavers Wine does a real nice job on some programs. It seems they are charging for it now, but I got the free copy several months back. If you want, I'll send it to you if I can find it. Which programs in particular are you wanting to run?

What is it with mdk 9.1??? I've read about so many people who hate it, and I'm one of them! When I gave it a go, it couldn't even find a screen, then it was all down hill from there. 9.0 is really so much better than 8.3, and from my experience, beats the crap out of 9.1!

Lately I've been playing around with Peanut Linux. I built a second hand box for $51.00. It had a 2 gig HD but it crashed. A friend had an old 1/2 gig HD he gave me, so I'm going to load it with Peanut or possibly Vector and make a workstation out of it.