-=TresCom Elder=-

TresLinux

Post by Dapper Dan »

Just for fun, why don't we create our own distro called TresLinux! :lol:

Our mascot could be a one armed penguin with no head and a nice rack! :shock:
Sky
404 - Title not found

Post by Sky »

Omg - i tried once to make a one (or two) floppy distro... It worked quite well but it's too much work therefore that there are alot of good solutions...

try it with a two floppy linux at first and you'll forget the whole distribution soon ;)
Slackware 10.0- Kernel 2.6.10-AES
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Sky wrote:Omg - i tried once to make a one (or two) floppy distro... It worked quite well but it's too much work therefore that there are alot of good solutions...
Sky I think I forgot you don't play Trespasser, so you might not have got the part about the penguin. In TresEd, Anne has one arm, a set of boobs and no head and walks around on a box! :lol:

Seriously though, you've hit upon what I believe is a fault with a lot of the major distro's. There is entirely too much software crammed in, that you don't need! A new user has no idea what they do and do not need, and the choices are truley bewildering. So, you wind up having to install everything. Through trial and error, you have to spend countless hours experimenting to find out which programs do what, and what works best. I think with Mandrake they give you 6 bash shells, 5 word processors, 4 spreadsheet programs, 4 browsers, 3 desktop managers, 12 gui's etc. etc.

Why not come out with a distro that only gives you one of everything, (what the creators of the distro believe is THE best) and, when the user gets familiar with Linux, he can download and experiment with other programs if he wants.

Slackware is the best about this, but I personally don't think Slack is a suitable newbie disrto. You put me onto Mandrake, and remember what a hard time I had with it in the beginning? :lol: God, if I had started out trying Debian, I would have put a bullet in my brain just over the install!! :wink:

To me , a good starter distro would incorporate the simplicity of Slackware, with Mandrake's ease of configuration and installation, and Redhat's apt-install rpm with the Synaptic front end.
Sky
404 - Title not found

Post by Sky »

To me , a good starter distro would incorporate the simplicity of Slackware, with Mandrake's ease of configuration and installation, and Redhat's apt-install rpm with the Synaptic front end.
Thats more than 100 full time jobs... :shock:
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

So..what else have we got to do..? :lol: :lol:
Sky
404 - Title not found

Post by Sky »

If u create a full dependencies Database for slackware (only the tools on the 9.0 cd) i will support u with the rest... :lol:
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

LOL! :lol: