Hey Troodon, Winex3 runs Trespasser in hardware mode!!

Discuss Programming / Linux questions.

Moderators: scallenger, Sky, TresCom Support Team

Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Hey Troodon, Winex3 runs Trespasser in hardware mode!!

Post by Dapper Dan »

As you know, I've been fooling around with wine and Trespasser for some time now with very limited sucess. Today I downloaded Winex3, the latest edition, and you cannot believe how well it runs Trespasser and in HARDWARE MODE! All the options, sounds, controls, and screen resolutions work as well as under Windows! I'm not kidding! There is a lag issue in a few locations, and the sound crackles slightly when clicking options, but other than that it is definately playable! :D

I've been running in hardware at 600x800 at full brightness, quality and screensize and it's as stable as in windows. Maybe even more stable! I took a few screens, but have no place to upload them to show. I wonder if MP would mind if I uploaded them to Trescom..
Troodon

Post by Troodon »

That's great news, DD! Looking forward to replacing Windows with Linux on all of my desktops. :)

But can one install Windows software on Winex or do you need a dual boot system?
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

It will depend on which windows apps you need to use. Codeweavers/ Crossover office does a good job of running excel, word, quicken and others..

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/office/

Win4Lin can install Windows 98 on your Linux desktop and run almost everything except games, but I understand their recent edition will run active X..

http://netraverse.com/

We use Win4Lin at the office to run Quickbooks Pro 2000, and it does so with almost no trouble. Winex of course, you have to get from Transgaming technologies.

http://www.transgaming.com/

Maybe one day, all wines can be combined together into a "superwine." I've been trying to crash Trespasser using Winex3, but it's having no part of it.. :twisted:
madppiper
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by madppiper »

hey. could you please send me some nice screenshots? I'd like to put it on the news...
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Thanks MP! We're going out to dinner right now, but I'll send them as .jpg's in a few hours. Do you want me to send them directly to you or upload them at Trescom? :D
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Troodon wrote: But can one install Windows software on Winex or do you need a dual boot system?
Oops, I don't think I answered your question.. :oops:

No. If you use any of the above, you can run straight from Linux without the need to dual boot. :)

Use Crossover office and/or Win4Lin for all non-gaming apps. Winex is specifically designed for gaming.