Fractal landscapes with OpenGL

Discuss Programming / Linux questions.

Moderators: scallenger, Sky, TresCom Support Team

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Fractal landscapes with OpenGL

Post by machf »

This was the first program I tried to make use OpenGL, I had previously written a version which rendered the whole thing in "software mode". Going further back, I had written it earlier in QuickBASIC, back then in 1991. And going even further back, I first wrote it in TurboBASIC XL on my Atari 800XL computer, in 1987 or so...

Here's an updated version of the program, using OpenGL display lists for speed. My earlier (aborted) try was way too slow... that's why my other program was the 'first successful' one.

http://rapidshare.com/files/113553614/FracLand8.zip

Use the mouse to rotate (left buton) or zoom (right button) the view, SPACEBAR to generate a new fractal landscape, ESC to quit the program.

Be patient when first loading the program, it takes a while to generate the heightmap as a 512x512 matrix before anything is displayed...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Fractal landscapes with OpenGL

Post by machf »

Improved version (calculations for rendering performed faster):

http://rapidshare.com/files/120525236/FracLand10.zip

Use the left mouse button or arrow keys to rotate, right mouse button or SHIFT+arrow keys to pan, middle mouse button to zoom in/out, PageUp to zoom in, PageDown to zoom out, SPACEBAR to generate a new fractal landscape, ESC to quit the program.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files