Ximian Desktop 2

Discuss Programming / Linux questions.

Moderators: scallenger, Sky, TresCom Support Team

Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Troodon, I'm confused. My Redhat 9 is not using XF86-4. Is yours? :?
Troodon

Post by Troodon »

Yes, it does, but the config file is still XF86Config, without the `-4' "extension". Just run `rpm -q XFree86' to see if you have XFree86-4.x.x or XFree86-3.x.x. I remember on Mandrake 8.2 the installer would choose 4.x or 3.x depending on the VC; 3.x comes with VC-specific drivers while 4.x has a common graphics driver for all cards.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Troodon wrote:Dan, I have been struggling with RedHat 9 + XD2 for the last few days. Don't know which of them causes the other one to segfault but I now consider downgrading to 7.3.
Troodon, I've switched to RH 9, (Mandrake 9.2 sucks almost as bad as 9.1!) and downloaded and installed XD2. So far, no problems. It looks pretty neat and I really like the log in screen. I'll still be using IceWM though. :)
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

OK Troodon, I now see what you mean! XD2 broke the hell out of Synaptic/apt-get!! When you were googling, did you see this...
http://www.luni.org/pipermail/luni/2003 ... 12062.html
:lol:
So I'll just save myself some time and reinstall RH9. Are you still using red carpet? Is it giving any problems? I'm fairly sure it's just XD2, but if rc gives any problems please let me know..
:)
Troodon

Post by Troodon »

Are you still using red carpet?
Nope, RH 9+ vanilla ;)
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

All re-installed now and doing some final configuring. While I was at it, I took out the Turtle Beach card Linux always had problems with, and put in a Soundblaster. You can't believe how good the Beatles sound through XMMS, and with mp3's too! :D