glibc 2.3

Discuss Programming / Linux questions.

Moderators: scallenger, Sky, TresCom Support Team

Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

glibc 2.3

Post by Dapper Dan »

Guys, what is the problem with glibc 2.3?? I can't find it in Mandrake, ( as several packages I've tried to install have been begging for it!), and have read there are problems with it. Codeweavers wine just sent out a red alert that since Red Hat has upgraded to glibc 2.3 in their 8.0, Codeweaver's version of wine will not work at all! Is this normal or unusual? I havn't been around Linux long enough to know.
Sky
404 - Title not found

Post by Sky »

IIRC all programs are linked agains glibc. Thus, if you upgrade to the latest version, this might result in problems, though i've never tried it :)
But if you get the source of a program and compile it yourself you should not have these problems...
Slackware 10.0- Kernel 2.6.10-AES
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Sky, I've tried compiling from source and there are some things that go together easily. With others however, it seems the more I try to figure out what it needs, the more it wants, or the less cooperative it becomes! Of course, the problem lies with me not knowing what I'm doing.

For me, Linux is hard enough and time consuming as it is. I'd rather double-click an RPM and let Kpackage do the rest. When installing RPM's I'll go bone hunting for dependancies up to a point, but when I install 2 dependancies that want 6 more that want 10 more and so on, I'll just quit. :D
Troodon

Post by Troodon »

I would not attempt upgrading glibc. Most software "intimately" depends on a particular glibc version. Changing that may wreack havoc on your Linux system, which may become unusable.
Sky
404 - Title not found

Post by Sky »

Dapper Dan, i guess, you would like Debian
Ok, i t does not have these nice config tools that mandrake has, but once you got it running, you won't have to look for these dependencies. You just type

apt-get install someprog

And it will resolve the deps, download everything and install it :)
Ok, personally i don't like Debian, but perhaps you could save time when using debian.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

It's ashamed more of the tools each distro offers can't be mixed and matched. Question: Can you use IceWM in Debian and If I installed it and saved my home directory, would I have all my files still there except under Debian? Or would I have to do something to save files before installing?
Sky
404 - Title not found

Post by Sky »

You can use icewm with every distro i guess ;)
--> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/x11/icewm.html
--> http://packages.debian.org/testing/x11/icewm.html
--> http://packages.debian.org/stable/x11/icewm.html

(Concerning testing, stable, unstable, have a look at http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-ftparchives#s-stable )

And if you have an extra partition for your home directory, i would install debian to another partition and, if finished, add yout /home partition to /etc/fstab and mount /home, done :)
All the files would still be there...

But you should try Debian on another PC before installing it instead of Mandrake, b/c perhaps you won't like Debian, dunno ;)
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Thanks Sky, I found those IceWM-Debian pages right after I posted the question, but am only getting back here now. Is it possible to have two different distros on the same hard drive, and, when using either, accessing the same home partition?

I would like to look at Debian and also Red Hat 8.0. for my work machines. For my home machine, I'll have to stick with Mandrake 9.0 so I can continue to play Half-Life games under Winex. :D
I do have a spare box I can try them on.
Troodon

Post by Troodon »

Dan, I would recommend RedHat 7.3 rather than 8.0.

*.0 releases are inherently buggy;
*.1 releases contain bugfixes they knew of when releaseing *.0;
*.2 and higher releases contain bugfixes based on reports from end-users.

I wouldn't go with a less-than *.2 release, especially since upgrading from a *.1 to a *.2 is like installing a totally new release.
Sky
404 - Title not found

Post by Sky »

You can install serveral distros on a pc and always use the same home partition. But u need at least a new partition for each distro.
Sky
404 - Title not found

Post by Sky »

Ah, btw: Knoppix is based upon debian. So you coult try the apt tools with Knoppix :) And since a short period of time you can even install Knoppix to your HDD. http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

[quote="Troodon"]Dan, I would recommend RedHat 7.3 rather than 8.0.

I found a sight where I can get 7.3. Troodon, give me a little more time on the ssh stuff. The computer I was going to set up for you to connect to is having problems. I was doing something else, and lost X and can't get it back, so I'm just going to do fresh install. My home directory is safe, so I figure now's a good time to install 7.3! :wink: