Opera vs. Galeon

Discuss Programming / Linux questions.

Moderators: scallenger, Sky, TresCom Support Team

Troodon

Post by Troodon »

Well, that applies to any binary Linux software. Remember what I said before about not being able to move parts of one car to another of the same make? I had similar problems with one of my Linux machines running on a GLIBC_2.1-based distro; I can't install any software compiled with GLIBC_2.2 on it.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Of course it probably won't happen, but I think the best thing Corel could do at this point is to make all of their Linux based software open- source.
Troodon

Post by Troodon »

I agree. Like you said, it won't happen because, to my knowledge, another company commercializes the Corel Linux OS and my guess is they must be also interested in the Corel Office suite.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Yes, that would be Xandros which is the continuation of Corel Linux. They've gotten really good reviews as a distro, but they weren't completely honest about their intentions. When Corel announced Xandros was going to continue on with Corel Linux, they led everyone to believe that Xandros would have it's on version of WordPerfect et al. When it came out, it was learned that Open Office would be the Office software in the distro instead!

I have nothing against Open Office or any GNU office software, but as you observed, they don't seem to understand that, like it or not, Microsoft Office is the standard for compatibility.

I like StarOffice/OpenOffice almost as much as WordPerfect, but god, they take forever to get up and running and are a real resource hog!

If it weren't for WP, I'd more than likely be using Word 97, which runs pretty darn good with Codeweavers wine.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Guys, I've found a very minimal and absolutely SMOKIN' browser..

http://dillo.org

It doesn't have many of the features that you'll get with Opera, Galeon, Netscape..etc., but the swap off is that it is blindingly fast!!

Sounds like your kind of browser Sky! :wink:

There is a Slack tarball at the sight.
Sky
404 - Title not found

Post by Sky »

yeah i already know dillo... it's a nice project but imo not usable yet. The problem is missing css and frames support (though i dont like frames anyway ;))
Slackware 10.0- Kernel 2.6.10-AES
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

There's always lynx... :wink:
Sky
404 - Title not found

Post by Sky »

no b/c lynx can't display frames either :P
links and w3c are excellent browsers for the console
Slackware 10.0- Kernel 2.6.10-AES