Opera vs. Galeon

Discuss Programming / Linux questions.

Moderators: scallenger, Sky, TresCom Support Team

Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Opera vs. Galeon

Post by Dapper Dan »

Hey guys. Recently I've been conducting a side-by-side comparison of Opera and Mozilla and I'll have to say Mozilla, at least in my mind is the better browser. Opera boasts of being the "fastest browser on earth" but if that is true, then so is Mozilla. My comparison showed little if any difference in the speed by which the two "browse" from location to location. Also, Mozilla just renders pages in a more eye pleasing fashion.

I decided to do the test because, it has proved to be difficult to enable java in Opera, and I just gave up trying to tell Gnome I wanted Opera as my default browser.

Since deciding to use Mozilla, I setteled on the Galeon version as it is so easy to set it up as Gnome's default browser for links in e-mails and Evolution is automatically called to send e-mails from address links.

Troodon, you Canadians make great accounting and office software! I'm very pleased with Corel WordPerfect Office 2000 for Linux and now I've found what, (so far) seems to be really good accounting software from Canada!

We've been checking out MyBooks by Appgen:

http://www.appgen.com/products/mybooks.html

..and it's looking to be the perfect replacement for QuickBooks!
( I also gave up trying to get QB working under Wine. Too many difficulties..) If MyBooks is as user friendly and intuitive as it appears, they deseve my support since they have ported their software for Mac and Linux and not just exclusively for Window$.
Troodon

Post by Troodon »

Dan, you wrote kind words about Corel; unfortunately, the market forces and a certain CEO left this company on the brink of collapse but hopefully now they are back on the right track.

I "certainly" must have a look at the accounting software you mentioned. :)

About Galeon, the problem is I couldn't find a number of plugins for it (Flash, VRML, SVG -- most companies that make plugins for Linux specifically target Netscape, not even Mozilla) while Opera caches pages so stubbornly (maybe that's why it's the "fastest browser on earth") that I gave up on it some time ago. Konqueror and Nautilus are good file browsers but Javascript-wise they suck. Bottom line, I guess Netscape remains the best browser on Linux at this time.
Last edited by Troodon on Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sky
404 - Title not found

Post by Sky »

Opera is *much* faster than Mozilla. I have a slow PC (Celeron 466) and with Mozilla the load of the CPU reached 100% for some seconds to load a single page. With opera i did not run into this Problem.

s.
Slackware 10.0- Kernel 2.6.10-AES
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Troodon wrote: . Bottom line, I guess Netscape remains the best browser on Linux at this time.
I'll give Netscape a look again. They lost me when I was running Window$. I can't remember which edition it was, I think it was 6.0 or 6.2 that was so difficult to get along with. That's when I changed to Opera . I did use Netscape for years under Windows though. Sort of my first volly over the heads of M$ in my future independance from them! :wink:

It would be interesting to know how many present Linux users started off revolting against Internet Explorer..
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Sky wrote:Opera is *much* faster than Mozilla.
s.
I'm not sure about the statistical comparison, but on my computer I noticed little if any difference in the speeds of the two. I do like Opera's download manager better than Galeon's though.. :)

Are you using Opera's download manager or something different?
Troodon

Post by Troodon »

Netscape 6.x series sucks. Netscape 7.01 is much better, only a little slower than IE 6, otherwise i would say it's a very serious competitor for M$ on Windows and possibly also on MacOS-X. Opera 6.05 on Windows is not too bad either, only it's somewhat harder to configure than the others, in particular when it comes to styles and fonts. On Linux I use Netscape 4.8 for speed and Netscape 7 for plugins that are only available for Mozilla 5 and compats.

About the download manager -- I am not even sure I know what that is. All I know is, in Opera an annoying popup window that I can't close is brought to the front whenever I download something; moreover, Opera seems to start the download even before I click on Save in the open link dialog. In Netscape, IE you have file-specific download dialogs/progress bars and they work just fine.
Troodon

Post by Troodon »

Netscape 6.x series sucks. Netscape 7.01 is much better, only a little slower than IE 6, otherwise i would say it's a very serious competitor for M$ on Windows and possibly also on MacOS-X. Opera 6.05 on Windows is not too bad either, only it's somewhat harder to configure than the others, in particular when it comes to styles and fonts. On Linux I use Netscape 4.8 for speed and Netscape 7 for plugins that are only available for Mozilla 5 and compats.

About the download manager -- I am not even sure I know what that is. All I know is, in Opera an annoying popup window that I can't close is brought to the front whenever I download something; moreover, Opera seems to start the download even before I click on Save in the open link dialog. In Netscape, IE you have file-specific download dialogs/progress bars and they work just fine.
Sky
404 - Title not found

Post by Sky »

Dapper Dan wrote: Are you using Opera's download manager or something different?
`which wget` :)

s.
Slackware 10.0- Kernel 2.6.10-AES
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Troodon wrote: About Galeon, the problem is I couldn't find a number of plugins for it (Flash, VRML, SVG -- most companies that make plugins for Linux specifically target Netscape...
Don't know about the others yet, but I downloaded flash from macromedia, installed it into my mozilla-1.1 directory and Galeon is smokin' with it! :D
Troodon

Post by Troodon »

Dan, you have Corel Office 2000 on Linux -- can I ask you a favor? Could you please tell me whether Corel Presentations can open/import the following file types: Enhanced Windows Metafile (EMF), Adobe Illustrator (AI), and Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG)?

I can't seem to find this information at the Corel website. Thanks!
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

I couldn't locate an (EMF) to try to open with WordPerfect, though it opens (WMF)'s very nicely. It will not open an (SVG) file but will open (AI)

Post an EMF somewhere or send me one and I'll see if WP will import it.

Possibly an option: Microsoft Office and Word 2000 are supposed to work with Crossover wine very well.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/off ... ations.php

I've got several Window$ applications working pretty good with Crossover. Internet Explorer works well as does the Windows media player and the PowerPoint viewer.
Troodon

Post by Troodon »

Thank you. Did you try to open the SVG file in Corel Presentations?
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

All that was on the cd was WordPerfect and Quattro. I havn't seen Corel Presentations though I'm pretty sure you can access SVG's in Corel Photo-Paint which is a free download..

ftp://ftp2.corel.com/pub/linux/PhotoPaint9/.
Troodon

Post by Troodon »

Hmm, that's strange.. if you go to

http://linux.corel.com/products/wpo2000 ... inside.htm

for a breakdown of the components included in WordPerfect Office 2000 for Linux then you can see Corel Presntations is on that list.

PhotoPaint is a raster graphics application while CorelDraw, and most likely Corel Presentations, are vector graphics applications. The EMF, AI, and SVG are vector graphics formats; the advantage of vector data is scalability without quality loss. Modern raster graphics programs can import vector graphics but the vector data is lost during the conversion process.

I'm still looking for that free older version of Corel Office for Linux, if anyone knows where I can download it please let me know. :)
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

I downloaded photo-paint last night and the install went swimmingly. As with MANY installs with Linux, I found my immediate delight was short lived. :?

Not only did I get errors trying to open the program, it messed up WordPerfect and QuattroPro because of an update in Photo-Paint with the fonts. Now I have to uninstall P-P and WP & start over without P-P.

The error has to do with an upgrade which will only work with glibc-2.1 or earlier. I thought of uninstalling 2.2 and switching to 2.1., but it said it would uninstall the kernal as well so I can't go that route as it is what Mandrake 9.0 is based on.

I guess paint-photo will only work with Mandrake 8.2 or earlier..
..maybe that's why it's free.. :wink: