Discuss Programming / Linux questions.

Moderators: scallenger, Sky, TresCom Support Team

guilherme
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Internet on LINUX

Post by guilherme »

Hi, people.
My modem is a octal a360 for ADSL, how can I get Internet on linux??
I tryed but i didn't anything.
and, just one more thing.
how is it there?
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Tell me how you are connected. Are you using a router? Are you duel booting with Windows? What distro are you using? Are the lights on your nic card lighted?
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
guilherme
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by guilherme »

Yes, I'm usig LINUX with windows.
My distro is Mandrake 9.2.
No I haven't a router.
it is a normal ADSL link.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

When you are dual booting with Windows, sometimes, (depending on make and your ISP), a high speed modem can get confused. Cable is the worst, but DSL can sometimes do the same thing. Your modem may be looking for a certain signature that it is getting from Windows, and when you switch to Linux, it thinks you are trying to use it with another computer. This may not be the case with you but it is best to rule it out now. The next time you try re-booting into Linux, reset you modem before booting. There *may* be a tiny reset hole on it somewhere where you can stick a pin in to reset. If there isn't, try powering it and your computer off completely for a couple of minutes, then power up the modem, then the computer and then try booting to Linux.
When your Linux is booting up, do you get a [OK] or a [FAILED] when it gets to eth0?
If you get an [OK], the above may be the case. If not, let me know and we'll try something else..
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
guilherme
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by guilherme »

:? I get eth0 as [ FAILED ] I always saw this. :?
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

What make of NIC are you using? Have you run the network configuration wizard from the Mandrake Control Center? Does this modem connect to your computer via a USB port?
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

This post may help...