Tres With wine.

Discuss Programming / Linux questions.

Moderators: scallenger, Sky, TresCom Support Team

Lou-saydus
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Tres With wine.

Post by Lou-saydus »

ok so i have the tres cd copyed to my hd.
I start the install. it dose its stuff and when i get to the part
where i am supposta chose my directory and click install.
but when i click install... it just hangs and the tres splash screen
stays on the screen no matter what. Can ya help me?

btw why is sky the mod of this section... i think you should be one
too.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Sky is stll the moderator of the Linux section. If anyone asks, I would be glad to help out.

Are you installing Tres with regular wine or with Winex? Winex3 is the only way you are going to get it to run decently in software.
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
Lou-saydus
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by Lou-saydus »

oh that sucks i only have plain ol wine. :cry:
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Wine ain't gonna get it done with Tres. You need Winex3. I know where there is a free version but it's rpm and Debian needs Debian packages. See if there is a tool to make Debian packages out of RPM.s. Here's the link..

http://www003.portalis.it/115/winexx.html
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
Lou-saydus
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by Lou-saydus »

Now how hard is mandrake to install?
yochenhsieh
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by yochenhsieh »

I know there is a tool called "alien" which can convert .rpm to .deb, but I'm not familiar with it...

Installing Mandrake is as easy as installing Windows. However, please read LG errata before installing mdk9.2 if you happen to have a LG CD-ROM.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

The only thing though is with Mdk, you will no longer have the apt-get package management system. If you think Linux is hard now, wait till you find yourself in "dependency hell" trying to install rpm's and tarballs! In my opinion Morphix-Gnome, which is what you have now, and is essentially Debian, is far "cooler" than Mdk, and apt-get is a life saver. If there is any one thing that makes new users get frustrated with Linux and quit it's dependencies.
Also Mdk 9.1 and 9.2 have given new users a lot of problems. I would say at least over 50% of the problems Noobs have over at Linuxcompatible are directly related to Mdk 9.1 and 9.2. I have used both, and Morphix is much more stable and dependable than either.
Lou-saydus
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by Lou-saydus »

well from what i have read it seems that alien comes with debian.

ill test that out.

yochenhsieh your a life saver.
Lou-saydus
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by Lou-saydus »

well i got it. now im going to try to convert a rmp to deb.
wish me luck
yochenhsieh
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by yochenhsieh »

Dapper Dan wrote:The only thing though is with Mdk, you will no longer have the apt-get package management system. If you think Linux is hard now, wait till you find yourself in "dependency hell" trying to install rpm's and tarballs! In my opinion Morphix-Gnome, which is what you have now, and is essentially Debian, is far "cooler" than Mdk, and apt-get is a life saver. If there is any one thing that makes new users get frustrated with Linux and quit it's dependencies.
While Debian-based Linux has apt-get, Mandrake Linux have a similiar command-line tool called "urpmi". If you are in X Window, there is also "rpmdrake" in Mandrake Control Center. Both urpmi and rpmdrake will help you solve dependency problems when installing rpms. :yes:

Personally I don't have much problems when using mdk9.1 & 9.2, maybe I'm just lucky. :P (for me, mdk9.0 is more buggy than 9.1/2)
Lou-saydus
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by Lou-saydus »

well im gunna call it a night i didnt get it to work.
but im burnt out.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

I used urpmi a number of times when running Mdk 9, and when it works, it works great. Unfortunately, there were many times when it would claim a package was already installed when it wasn't, so it wouldn't let you install it! Also, the only packages you can install are the ones that are available with that version. With apt-get Debian or apt-get RPM (RH 9) there are many, many packages you can install that aren't included with the cd's. :)
yochenhsieh
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by yochenhsieh »

Dapper Dan wrote:Also, the only packages you can install are the ones that are available with that version. With apt-get Debian or apt-get RPM (RH 9) there are many, many packages you can install that aren't included with the cd's. :)
like this? :)
9.2 contrib ftp://mdk.linux.org.tw/pub/mandrake/9.2/contrib/i586/
cooker ftp://mdk.linux.org.tw/pub/mandrake-dev ... rake/RPMS/
cooker contrib ftp://mdk.linux.org.tw/pub/mandrake-devel/contrib/i586/
I know, there're more packages in apt-get, but those contrib rpms are enough for me. I can use urpmi.addmedia(command-line) or software source manager(X Window) to add them into my package source. Maybe Mandrake is still not as good as Debian or Red Hat right now, but I believe it will be better in the future. :)
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

If you're installing packages from cooker, you're far braver than I am! Cooker was always a little to far out on the end of the envelope for me! :wink: