Switching sides.

Discuss Programming / Linux questions.

Moderators: scallenger, Sky, TresCom Support Team

Lou-saydus
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Switching sides.

Post by Lou-saydus »

I'm ready Dan. I have gave it a lot of thought and i want to switch to linux. Can you advise a version of linux i should download?
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Lou, I tell everyone who wants to have a serious look at Linux to look at one of the "live cd" versions first. This is a complete Linux operating system on a cd that you burn from a downloaded ISO, that will boot into Linux when you set your bios to boot from cdrom. Running this cd will have no effect whatsoever on your Windows so all of that will be safe. There are many versions of live cd Linux. I've looked at many of them, and the one I think that is the coolest is Morphix. It should find and configure all of your hardware right from the cd including configuring your Internet connection, that is if you aren't using 56k. Why don't you download the Morphix-Gnome ISO here, burn the image to cd, boot it, have a look at it, and get familiar with it. If after working with Morphix, you like what you see, we can then discuss installing Linux to your hard drive with a dual boot set-up. That is, keeping your Windows and Linux on the same drive and booting between the two.. :)
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
Lou-saydus
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by Lou-saydus »

ok cool thanks. Now i will have to partition my drive to install linux with windows right? I have two drives. Im gunna chech out morphix. thanks a lot!
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Lou-saydus wrote:Now i will *** have to partition my drive to install linux with windows right?
Did you mean to have a "not" in there? If not, no you will not have to partition or do anything to your HD to use Morphix.
"I have discovered an ancient tribe of those who still hold a candle for this dead, and forgotten Videonic Gamen... the Forgotten people."
Lou-saydus
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by Lou-saydus »

No i meant if i download a HD version of linux. Man im so exicited i cant wait to get this dl done!
Lou-saydus
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by Lou-saydus »

um i forgot how to boot from a cd.. by the time u see this i might have figured it out. so if you see this please tell me.. lol
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Have you already created the Morphix cd? If you already know how to create an image from an ISO, please forgive me, but remember to burn an image of the ISO you downloaded not the ISO itself. I made that mistake several times myself! :wink: To boot from a cdrom, you must first access your bios and set the boot sequence up to boot from cdrom before booting the hard drive. When you first boot up, there may be something that says "for setup press F2" or something like that. If your computer does not show this, and you don't know which key to press to access your bios, you may have to research your motherboard to find out. Caution: Make sure you don't change any other settings in your bios other than changing the boot sequence! :)
Lou-saydus
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by Lou-saydus »

So I have to burn and image of the ISO? And then boot from that cd not from a cd with the ISO itself on it? So uhhh.. how do I make a image of the ISO?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

An ISO file is an image of a CD... so you have to load that image (the ISO file) into your CD-burning software and use it to burn a CD.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Are you presently able to create cds? what software program do you use when creating them?
Lou-saydus
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by Lou-saydus »

nero 5.0.4.6. and yes i can make cds.... but how do i boot from it?
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

As well as I remember, don't use the wizard. Use the drop down menu from the upper left and choose "burn image." Then, tell it where the Morphix iso is and burn it.
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

Progress report?
Lou-saydus
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by Lou-saydus »

um well when i do that it wants a .nrg file... and needless to say i dont have one.. any other ways?
Dapper Dan
-=TresCom Elder=-
-=TresCom Elder=-

Post by Dapper Dan »

What the heck is a .nrg file??!!