Discuss Programming / Linux questions.

Moderators: scallenger, Sky, TresCom Support Team

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Darkbasic, or The Continuing Adventures of Draconisaurus

Post by Draconisaurus »

So lately I am being called by the gods of the digital sphere to reenter the world of programming and game design. My computer simply doesn't work well for Trespasser anymore but I am very interested in doing such things again. I took Visual Basic and Visual C# in high school (one year each) which actually helped lead me into Trespasser to begin with. Since those years in school, the only programming experience I've had is with Trespasser's internal scripting engine, but when you include the use of variable triggers and complex set-ups it is a lot like programming. Anyway, to get back into things I am planning to use a platform my teacher informed me about called "Darkbasic", which is free with ads. Basically I want to learn how to make games of various kinds from the ground up (minus machine code and all that, of course ;)). I plan on posting my exploits and creations here, and will probably be asking some basic questions now and then. I'm also open to suggestions for where to go in terms of game programming, but I don't want to work in engine-specific coding environments just yet.

Wish me luck!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Darkbasic, or The Continuing Adventures of Draconisaurus

Post by machf »

Good luck.
No, really...

Hmmm, maybe it's time to give it another look.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Thanks machf. And I certainly wouldn't mind assistance in some of my creations... I remember how time-consuming and slow-paced it was to work on game design more or less by myself and it would be nice to have any sort of team effort along the way.

One of my long-term goals is to focus on really advanced AI that operates in ways unseen in modern gaming. I'd like to just make an island covered with dinosaurs and let it run itself. Maybe even create a scenario where they can evolve over time...
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

GGo for it, Drac. Rex is a kick-ass programmer, i'd consider asking him for advice as well. :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Thanks Rebel! I am sorta awaiting his input, yes.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Btw, here are a few examples of what Darkbasic can do. Only just now thought to look on YouTube..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKdb7pp08vA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bylp9Hy0YKU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh1BApxIUxo

Not extremely thrilling but I'm not going for that. Anything that's at least as good as Trespasser, and hopefully less buggy and with the potential to adapt and develop, is good for me.

(Btw, I can't get the youtube tags to work? Can someone give me a clue as to how to make them behave? Maybe with one of the above videos as an example...)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Small problem - I installed DarkBasic Pro but when I attempt to launch the program, nothing happens. I've posted a thread at their forums which is awaiting admin approval, hopefully this can be worked out... :?

In the meantime I'm curious to know if anyone has any alternate suggestions for a platform to use for game programming?