Level 1: RTJP~Helipad Development

TheIdiot's new mod set on Isla Nublar

Moderators: scallenger, Wajas, TheIdiot

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Level 1: RTJP~Helipad Development

Post by TheIdiot »

A lone concrete watch tower overlooks Holding Pen #3. This, along with other extensive modifications to the containment systems and fencing, were the fortifications put in place in order to contain Jurassic Park's velociraptor population. Yet a fatal error in the plan to restore order to the island proved to be the flaw that ultimately rendered all of these defences and security systems useless, allowing the deadly Raptors to break out into the main facilities. Although the three InGen-cloned Raptors were wiped out during the second night of the Isla Nublar incident, only a few of the survivors were at all aware of their pre-quarantine nesting sites hidden away in the jungle...

I finished up the ridge behind the Raptor Pit today and decided to take a quick shot of the current model and textures. hppav has been working on an updated model for the Raptor pen, which this will be replaced with, although what you see here will remain mostly the same.

In RTJP, the Raptor Pit's official InGen designation is "Holding Pen #3", the third in a series of four. Telltale's Jurassic Park game revealed that the herrerasaurs were also contained in a holding pen during the Isla Nublar incident, as were a herd of parasaurs being experimented on by Laura Sorkin. The Raptor pit seems to have been only temporary containment due to the Raptors being too dangerous for their main exhibit in the center of the Park - Hammond mentions adding a proper viewing area to the pen in a line of dialogue, so it can be assumed that they were considering converting this holding pen into a proper exhibit at some point. Therefore, I've decided to include several other similar pens around the island, most of which won't be seen until later levels. The Raptor pen is the most secure, fortified one as the Raptors were the dinosaurs Muldoon and the rest of security were the most worried about, so the other pens will have less in the form of fortifications, more along the lines of Sorkin's pen instead.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Digging the textures. The brick outline is diffuse or bump/normal?
TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by TheKritter71 »

That mountain detail, as well as the concrete designs is just wonderful. It reminds me of the good old days where hppav's Oblivion was a big project and his focus on the movie terrain detail was important.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

I would guess the brick work might be HD textures?
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Digging the textures. The brick outline is diffuse or bump/normal?
tatu wrote:I would guess the brick work might be HD textures?
Yes, the brick texture is an HD texture with a normal map and specular map. Almost every texture in RTJP is now HD and normal mapped! The dinosaurs also have appropriate lighting values in their T-scripts, which helps them look much more organic. :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

So the brick detail... I'm trying to gauge whether what I'm seeing represents the possibilities of normalmapping in Tres, or if its "ooo, ahh"-ness comes from other factors...
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:So the brick detail... I'm trying to gauge whether what I'm seeing represents the possibilities of normalmapping in Tres, or if its "ooo, ahh"-ness comes from other factors...
Nope, it's literally just a normalmap over a brick texture! The model you're looking at has only a couple of T-script values, but those are just for cull distance.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sweet.
TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by TheKritter71 »

Impressive.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Somewhere in the endless tropical jungles of central Isla Nublar, many roads meet around a high-security gate in the tall perimeter fence. Once designed to keep the denizens of Jurassic Park contained to their own enclosures, the still-standing network of electrified fences now serve as loose barriers between territories and hunting grounds.

This area is actually very near the same place I took a similar image back a couple of years ago in the old RTJP level, on the other side of the fence (in fact, the gate seen in both images is the same gate, relatively speaking). Hand-placing foliage does, eventually, pay off when you start getting scenes that look like this. 8)

One other detail to note is that the fence models are completely new - I built them based on hppav's old meshes from ED, fixing some little errors and adding in extra details to make them even more film-accurate. Of course, the fence set contains a TON of different pieces (corners, elevation changes, half-sections, gate covers, etc) to make building electrified fences in Trespasser easier than ever!
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Nice. Tho, I always felt that the high-security fence, when remade, should use 2D planes to represent all that mess of extra security. Sam may have mentioned this to me first.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Nice. Tho, I always felt that the high-security fence, when remade, should use 2D planes to represent all that mess of extra security. Sam may have mentioned this to me first.
Which parts do you think should have been 2D? The wires in-between the thicker cables are still a 2D plane, and those are the only things that look good in 2D.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Sorry I said fence when I meant gate. The giant bars going across and up all along it.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Sorry I said fence when I meant gate. The giant bars going across and up all along it.
Ah. That I have not overhauled as of yet! I've considered making those 2D in the past, but really it wouldn't change a whole lot considering the gate isn't even that detailed in comparison to some of the other stuff in the level. In fact, when I remake the gate, it will probably be even higher-poly.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Don't forget the rust indentations...