Alpha Demo Video! - Released

TheIdiot's new mod set on Isla Nublar

Moderators: scallenger, Wajas, TheIdiot

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Alpha Demo Video! - Released

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote:Would it be possible to resurrect a dead dinosaur by setting its health to full via triggers once it's dead?
Sure, just look at the one in the testScene. Every time you hit the button labeled "Raptor" on that wooden fence, it respawns...
At the moment I think the dino count including the ones waiting to be teleported in is like...50? I had just over 100 in the old RTJP level and there weren't any problems.
There shouldn't be any unless they are all active at the same time. BTW, there's an ActionType that lets you enable/disable dinosaur AIs selectively, you know...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

Very nice, John. 8)

Still digging the new player outfit... <3 the glove

Would comment on the Stego's AI, but I'll take your word for it that it normally behaves...
tatu wrote:Second, if you have too many dinosaurs in one level, their emoticons can break. Draco discovered this during the work on JPDS.
Yeah... Broken emoticons were lying everywhere... :(

Eheh, don't remember this actually. JPDS~streams is chalk full of dinos.. more than the previously-all-in-one level ever had. However I DO recall Anna's anniversary forest level, where she told me that she'd originally made it larger but AI quality went down the drain as the level's size increased. This was a high-detail level so it could be to do with that. Notes - don't think Anna's dinos teleported in (for the most part) like with JPDS, and her level was small and compact.
machf wrote:
TheIdiot wrote:Would it be possible to resurrect a dead dinosaur by setting its health to full via triggers once it's dead?
Sure, just look at the one in the testScene. Every time you hit the button labeled "Raptor" on that wooden fence, it respawns...
A note... When you use ATX cheats to play after drying via "SUPERHP" and "FLY + FLYTELE" (haven't tried in CE), Anne will be able to walk around and stuff again but carnivorous AI will treat her as food rather than a living creature yet to be killed (biting raptors will initiate the flesh-tear sound when eating/"attacking" you).
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Very nice, John. 8)
I stumbled onto the forum, already beginning to sweat, and looked around for Draco's post...the fresh commentary...
I actually don't really like it...I really want to give her a new model with a full body, but I doubt my ability to make one.
Haha! :lol: Did you draw that yourself? Top-notch stuff.
Eheh, don't remember this actually. JPDS~streams is chalk full of dinos.. more than the previously-all-in-one level ever had. However I DO recall Anna's anniversary forest level, where she told me that she'd originally made it larger but AI quality went down the drain as the level's size increased. This was a high-detail level so it could be to do with that. Notes - don't think Anna's dinos teleported in (for the most part) like with JPDS, and her level was small and compact.
Hmm. I do have to wonder what causes this and if it can be avoided. I still have a lot of tweaking to do to RTJP's AIs so I don't know for sure if any of this is caused by the number of dinosaurs or level size. So far there are about 18000 objects, but that doesn't seem like too much since there are retail levels that hit this number.
A note... When you use ATX cheats to play after drying via "SUPERHP" and "FLY + FLYTELE" (haven't tried in CE), Anne will be able to walk around and stuff again but carnivorous AI will treat her as food rather than a living creature yet to be killed (biting raptors will initiate the flesh-tear sound when eating/"attacking" you).
Well, there's no SUPERHP cheat in CE, so I think that's pretty much going to be a no. I'd just turn on the INVUL cheat if I was in fear of death while testing.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:
Very nice, John. 8)
I stumbled onto the forum, already beginning to sweat, and looked around for Draco's post...the fresh commentary...
:lol: This was modding experience from sixty-five or a hundred million years before RTJP.
I actually don't really like it...I really want to give her a new model with a full body, but I doubt my ability to make one.
:yum: Keep the outfit basis... :) As for a full-body player - recall that the Max-JR Tatu recovered contained a full-body Anne (IIRC). It has yet to be rigged but it could work nicely. Big thing is it needs substitute meshes to be made, and to have textures applied.
Haha! :lol: Did you draw that yourself? Top-notch stuff.
Hehe nah found it on ye olde Google search engine.
Hmm. I do have to wonder what causes this and if it can be avoided. I still have a lot of tweaking to do to RTJP's AIs so I don't know for sure if any of this is caused by the number of dinosaurs or level size. So far there are about 18000 objects, but that doesn't seem like too much since there are retail levels that hit this number.
Still think it's a good idea to create a test level where you simulate the final product of RTJP with roughly the same number of foliage and other objs, placed randomly, in a space of the same size as your terrain (keeping planned coverage in mind). Can test AI stability and stuff.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote:
TheIdiot wrote: I actually don't really like it...I really want to give her a new model with a full body, but I doubt my ability to make one.
:yum: Keep the outfit basis... :) As for a full-body player - recall that the Max-JR Tatu recovered contained a full-body Anne (IIRC). It has yet to be rigged but it could work nicely. Big thing is it needs substitute meshes to be made, and to have textures applied.
Hmmm, I think what it had was a two-armed Anne, but not a full-body one...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Post by tatu »

Yep, it was two-armed Anne, not full-body.
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

:lol: This was modding experience from sixty-five or a hundred million years before RTJP.
:lol: Draconisaurus...shady developer, multi-modder - heh, jovial mad scientist!
I planned to keep her outfit similar, but I wanted to make her overshirt appear as a vest instead. :wink:
I did actually have a full-body model ready to go for her, but it needed rigging, textures and a couple of little additions (namely a bandana and combat boots).
Still think it's a good idea to create a test level where you simulate the final product of RTJP with roughly the same number of foliage and other objs, placed randomly, in a space of the same size as your terrain (keeping planned coverage in mind). Can test AI stability and stuff.
Well, I already tried that out with a ton of trees and the VC, and it ran fine, even at the max object limit of 65something. My FPS remained stable at around 45. Didn't really think about the AI...guess I'll have to do it again except add 300 Raptors.
Hmmm, I think what it had was a two-armed Anne, but not a full-body one...
Yep, it was two-armed Anne, not full-body.
That's right. While two-arms would be decent to have and could be done (as machf proved), I think sticking to the single arm would be acceptable since with two arms extended she looks kind of like Frankenstein's monster. Unless of course you could have the "idle" substitute mesh use only a single arm and then have the other raise when she picks up something that requires two hands. machf..?
Deagles4life
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Deagles4life »

300 raptors!?!?! I would kill to play tres with a ak47 and WOO and shoot all the raptors
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote: I did actually have a full-body model ready to go for her, but it needed rigging, textures and a couple of little additions (namely a bandana and combat boots).
Well, rigging isn't as difficult as some people think...
That's right. While two-arms would be decent to have and could be done (as machf proved), I think sticking to the single arm would be acceptable since with two arms extended she looks kind of like Frankenstein's monster. Unless of course you could have the "idle" substitute mesh use only a single arm and then have the other raise when she picks up something that requires two hands. machf..?
Oh, it's perfectly possible to use substitute meshes with a left arm in different positions. But the problem with that is that it would be in a fixed position and you couldn't control it while you're moving the right arm... I *have* already wondered about that for a long time.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Well, rigging isn't as difficult as some people think...
Heh, I actually do know how to rig models. It's just tedious and I'm super lazy. :P For me, UV mapping is much more challenging.
Oh, it's perfectly possible to use substitute meshes with a left arm in different positions. But the problem with that is that it would be in a fixed position and you couldn't control it while you're moving the right arm... I *have* already wondered about that for a long time.
Hmm. So if you used a substitute mesh to have the left arm in a neutral position and then had another substitute for it when it's up in position to hold a rifle, the left arm wouldn't move at all in the second position? What if you had the left arm use a transparent texture that gets replaced by a proper arm texture when you pick up a weapon that requires two hands so that it's invisible unless required? That way you could also have a fake left arm that is neutral as well, while the "real" one would only show up when needed.
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

As an alternative, I've thought of rigging the left arm so that it moves together with the right one, but then it would have to be either sort of a "floating" arm (meaning it wouldn't be attached to the left shoulder at all), or a very oddly distorted one (if it were to remain attached to the shoulder), since the whole thing would have to be rigged to the bones of Anne's right arm (mostly, the wrist). And the texture visibility would be somewhat messy to control... you'd need pick-up/drop triggers for each and every possible object in the level.

The optimal solution would be to modify the source code so that the bones of the player's left arm don't remain static (from what I can tell by using the BONES and THIRDP cheats together, they never move from their original position, neither do the ones from the legs) and instead, the left arm "dangles" from the body as the player moves, and whenever you pick an object with a certain THIRD magnet (guns and other objects can have two, the right hand bone gets attached to one and the right shoulder one gets attached to the other), the left hand bone would be attached to it, with the other left arm bones just following.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Ah yeah forgot it was missing the legs, my bad.

Mmmm I like this idea of a hold-magnet for the left arm... I feel like it would be quite difficult to get coded but idk..?

The invis texture thing is impractical, really. Even rocks and sticks would need triggers.

TPDC, btw... Was very difficult for me... JPDS might have had a dimetrodon if I could have figured out how to do it right.

TI, nice that you made that stability test level..! Not sure that's ever actually been done in Tres before. Don't suppose you could share it in the private forum..? (or PM) Perhaps after the AI test. It could be useful to gauge the stability variability for different comps. TL and ED suffered from a lack of this...

Your extant full-body player sounds cool! I might be able to finish her for you if you like. :) Like, within a week once I have the model.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

The optimal solution would be to modify the source code
If only we had Lee's CE source code, that would be a bit easier. Unless someone can remake CE from what we have...

The whole bone idea does sound like it could work. How did it work on that blocky guy you made, machf?
TPDC, btw... Was very difficult for me... JPDS might have had a dimetrodon if I could have figured out how to do it right.
It's not really that difficult from what I've done (had to touch up the metriacanthosaurus in it), but I can see how it would be challenging if you made a model from scratch. :?
TI, nice that you made that stability test level..! Not sure that's ever actually been done in Tres before. Don't suppose you could share it in the private forum..? (or PM) Perhaps after the AI test. It could be useful to gauge the stability variability for different comps. TL and ED suffered from a lack of this...
Well, I could...but I sort of, you know, deleted it. :( I can easily remake it though, just have to delete everything and put trees everywhere.
TL and ED suffered from a lack of this...
I actually never had a problem with East Dock, but Legacy in particular decimated ATX. CE is a lot more stable in high density levels however. My plan was to use that Beach remake as sort of a testing grounds for very detailed levels, so I'll have to finish that off one day. It's about halfway finished at the moment and is still 100% stable for me, though I bet at least a couple of PCs will chug. It actually has more objects than RTJP at the moment in an area smaller than what I've finished on Nublar.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheIdiot wrote:
It's not really that difficult from what I've done (had to touch up the metriacanthosaurus in it), but I can see how it would be challenging if you made a model from scratch. :?
Mmmm. Btw... I can't get TPDC to work on this comp:

Code: Select all

---------------------------
Trespasser Dinosaur Creator
Component 'COMDLG32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid
OK   
Found COMDLG32.OCX online, put it in the folder... still get this message.
Well, I could...but I sort of, you know,
deleted it. :( I can easily remake it though, just have to delete everything and put trees everywhere.
*iz patient*
It actually has more objects than RTJP at the moment in an area smaller than what I've finished on Nublar.
Whoa. Ground foliage detail or something?
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Draconisaurus wrote: Mmmm. Btw... I can't get TPDC to work on this comp:

Code: Select all

Trespasser Dinosaur Creator
Component 'COMDLG32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid
OK   
Found COMDLG32.OCX online, put it in the folder... still get this message.
You know, Remdul had (still has, I believe) a download wit the necessary files on his site...

EDIT: Yep, check this link
http://www.bytehazard.com/trespasser/tpdc/