RTJP Updates! (Pre-2017)

TheIdiot's new mod set on Isla Nublar

Moderators: scallenger, Wajas, TheIdiot

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: RTJP Updates!

Post by TheIdiot »

Wow, that looks gorgeous. The detail in this image makes Trespasser look like a game from the mid 2000's rather than the late 90's.
Thanks! :D That's exactly what I was going for - I drew heavily from Crysis and especially Far Cry 1 and 3, as well as lots of images of real jungle and pictures of actual plants. All of the plants are based on actual flora, unlike vanilla Trespasser, where it seems many of the plants have been made up, which tends to give stock Trespasser jungles a somewhat fantasy-ish look in my opinion.

Wonder what this will look like with SweetFX enabled... 8)
Personally, I think you should just stick with the foliage you have. It's up to you, but that's my opinion, TI.
Thanks for the input - I'll wait for a couple of other responses before I decide. :)
Yeah, that's probably the best call judging by the workload, although it's actually really easy to replace instances using Notepad and doesn't take that long. The biggest problem would be going in and manually fixing everything that has been replaced - the instance count for RTJP~Nublar is currently just under 20000, and I figure about 6000 of that is just foliage objects, so that's a lot of checking.
Shep
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

Post by Shep »

I go with TG on this TI
Oh, a Raptor got 'em!

Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

The new foliage looks nice! (And good to see you around 8-) ) I do, however, not think you should redo the foliage work you've already done, if only to not draw out RTJP's production length longer than needed. That water stuff is cool, tho. :nerd: And Tres could definitely use more underwater foliage assets... All sorts of modding opportunities with that one..!
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Wow, look at what I missed for going to bed early...

I'd say, work on other areas first, then if you still have the time, redo the beach.

Anyway, different areas don't need to have the same foliage...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Shep wrote:I go with TG on this TI
Draconisaurus wrote: do, however, not think you should redo the foliage work you've already done, if only to not draw out RTJP's production length longer than needed.
machf wrote:I'd say, work on other areas first, then if you still have the time, redo the beach.
Well that about settles it then. :P I'll just stick with what I have already and perhaps throw in the occasional new plant here or there, or in certain environments.
That water stuff is cool, tho. :nerd: And Tres could definitely use more underwater foliage assets... All sorts of modding opportunities with that one..!
Definitely agreed. Even just the simple stuff so far really adds a lot of realism. Can't wait to do the assets for a *certain* sequence that will come later in the game... :wink:
if you still have the time, redo the beach.
Hmm. I'm thinking at this point it's going to happen no matter what, simply because it achieves exactly the look I was looking for. I will definitely release the Beach as it is with the current foliage however just in case anyone wants to check that out (and to give people something to fiddle around with).
Anyway, different areas don't need to have the same foliage...
True, but the foliage has to have a consistent look to it overall. My new stuff doesn't really fit in stylistically with the old objects because of the different design strategies I employed - the tree branches in particular are way different to the old Trespasser ones. I think for the most part RTJP will use previously created Trespasser plants, though I might need to make some new ones for a couple of specific environments to achieve my vision.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Just wanted to add, folks - my little break thing is pretty much over! Got all the important stuff out of the way so now it's back to wasting my life away in Trespasser. :P Have already done quite a bit more work on RTJP, and I should have images of some new dinosaurs coming very soon! Gonna complete InGen's 15 species for the first time in a video game...and then some. :wink:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

*still wishes TI would make a PH entry* >.> 'Nyways glad to have you back. :nerd:
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:*still wishes TI would make a PH entry* >.> 'Nyways glad to have you back. :nerd:
Well I technically DO have an entry right now...but it's just a rough terrain with no objects or anything. Problem is I don't know where I want to start or how I want it to look. Sort of strapped for creativity on that front, I guess you could say. :cry:
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmmm why not decide on a location for the PH and start placing foliage?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Hmmmm why not decide on a location for the PH and start placing foliage?
I do actually have most of the important places established, but my problem is thinking of what to fill this area with. I'm a bit tired of placing foliage (especially after the insanity of Beach HD :P ) so I find it difficult to bring myself to start covering another level-sized terrain in foliage. :? Maybe I can upload my layout and let someone else cover it in objects?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Mmmm not sure if you know or use this method but when covering a large level in foliage I often create a small-ish "palette" of trees, underbrush, rocks, etc. in the basement and then clone/rotate copies of it around on the ingame terrain, and modify it for details afterwards. Saves a lot of time and headache.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Draconisaurus wrote:Mmmm not sure if you know or use this method but when covering a large level in foliage I often create a small-ish "palette" of trees, underbrush, rocks, etc. in the basement and then clone/rotate copies of it around on the ingame terrain, and modify it for details afterwards. Saves a lot of time and headache.
While I do think that's a good idea, I'm so damn picky and precise that I prefer to avoid cloning altogether and instead just drop them in manually. I feel it gives more control over how you want things to look overall. In all of RTJP, I haven't done this once. Even all of that Beach HD stuff was hand-placed. :sick:
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Name: Diane H Forman
Place of birth: Honolulu, Hawaii
Occupation: Private, First Class, HELIX Intervention and Security Services

(Note that the textures are very WIP placeholders and the model itself is not cleaned up or rigged yet - currently it has too many triangles for Tres. More to come!)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Looking good, keep it up! This would be our first full-body female player model (funny that all the males are full-body and females torso-only.. unless you count the chest-compression I believe someone did).
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Created a bunch of new props for the gift shop today - books, toys, shirts, gift bags, bottles and even the stamp set - all of which are authentic and accurate to their depiction in the movie. Currently, I've filled the gift shop to the same level as it was in the movie, but this will be reduced as urban explorers to Isla Nublar have likely looted it over the past 5 years.

Additionally, you might notice that the cafe fans are completed, and, though you can't see it, the wooden lectern in the corner to the left of the triceratops mural is also there - meaning the cafe area is nearly completed! Just need to model all of the old, rotten food and dinnerware seen on the back table and it's done.