TheIdiot's new mod set on Isla Nublar

Moderators: scallenger, Wajas, TheIdiot

vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
Antispam: No

Re: Screenshot thread

Post by vagrantart »

really nice work,how is the engine handling it when you add dense vegetation? is that something you plan to do when you have everything else in place.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

vagrantart wrote:really nice work,how is the engine handling it when you add dense vegetation? is that something you plan to do when you have everything else in place.
It's running as good as ever at the moment, the only place my FPS really drops is the Visitor Center, which, with optimization through object T-scripts, has actually been staying around 15 FPS. In the jungle, everything is fine, though the detail isn't anywhere near finished. I'm usually at about a minimum of 45 FPS, which it only drops to around the perimeter fence gates. Once I really get on the density and add in dinosaurs, I might have to do a bit more work to keep it around the target of 20 FPS minimum.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Here's a new shot of the Visitor Center lobby, updated quite substantially but still incomplete (hppav y u no make Alamo skeleton?!).
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
To highlight a few of the changes since I last showed the lobby, I've added a lot of overgrowth and decay to it, not quite to the level of what we see in Jurassic World since the mod takes place in 1998 instead of 2015, but it's still a fair amount. I also took one of the cafeteria doors off its hinges and created a new, HD version of the central mural with the Raptor and the Parasaurs. As well, I moved the T. rex skull to the bottom of the stairs again because I feel that it looks more interesting - you see it looking right at you when you walk in the doors.
The biggest change you might notice, though, is the new sunbeam effect I've added coming through the windows. This is something I've wanted to do for a while since I feel that it makes everything look so much more spectacular and cinematic - and I think it's something we've never seen done in Trespasser before. The beams have an animated dust texture as well, and, while it is barely noticeable, I think it adds a pretty nifty little something to the whole picture. The other turrets, as well as the cafeteria windows and any other applicable windows, will receive a similar effect.
And for those of you concerned about framerate, I'm still getting around 55 FPS in the lobby for the most part - I've got culling values and shadows optimized as much as possible.
I've added a lot of decay to the exterior as well, though I'm going to do a bit more work on it before I post more screens.
Anyway, that's it for now...I'll post a little bit more under the "Weekly Update" thread (which I will likely rename to simply the "Update" thread due to the lack of weekly information. :P
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Finally, an exterior environment that's actually near wholly presentable! I snapped these shots pretty hastily, as I was exhausted when I took them last night.

Image Image

Been holding off showing my work until I completed this! I didn't take any closeup shots of the Windmill Power Station so as to avoid spoiling its contents, but you can get a nice view of the little facility from the mountain road shot. There are only a few necessary buildings to the station, but the puzzle to get it back online will remain fairly difficult. You can see one of the island's lush cliffside beach environments, as well as the beginning of the predominantly hot and rocky southern end as described in the novel, since we don't know much about it in the film. This end of the island will have recently been devastated by this geothermal and volcanic activity, and as such there will be visible damage to plants, structures and roads. It isn't anywhere near polished enough to show more of yet, but in the first screenshot you can see a hot spring that Diane should likely avoid, as well as a small geyser. I'm probably going to change the textures of the ground here to something a bit more sulfur field-ish, but I'll see how it looks as it is worked on.
TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by TheKritter71 »

Very nice layout, can't wait for more screenshots
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Still pounding away, as always. Just the other day I started working on a model for the Safari Lodge, specifically the reception hall. It's 90% based on Road Warrior's original design, so most credit goes to him. :) I've added and changed very little from what he had been working on, however it is of course optimized for Trespasser's older engine. No in-game pictures yet since the model isn't finalized. Also, please ignore the blue textures as well as the windows - Max doesn't do Trespasser transparency. They will be fixed in-game.

Image Image Image

The main design is essentially the same - a long building with a larger rear area which will be used for the main reception area. On either side of the lobby, hallways link to round rooms that will house displays, benches, and act as rest areas, in addition to providing roof access. The spiral staircases lead to the roof of the building, where visitors would get an awe-inspiring view of the island, as well as serve as an area for events or parties. The building will be raised up on a high patio - the front will be mostly decorative, similar to the Visitor Center, while the back area will be for dining and potentially a swimming pool (I haven't planned that out). :P
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote:Also, please ignore the blue textures as well as the windows - Max doesn't do Trespasser transparency. They will be fixed in-game.
Actually, it does if you know how to configure it properly...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:
TheIdiot wrote:Also, please ignore the blue textures as well as the windows - Max doesn't do Trespasser transparency. They will be fixed in-game.
Actually, it does if you know how to configure it properly...
I actually tried to, but if there's one thing I've never been able to work out about Max, it's the materials section. Unless I'm probably looking in the wrong place. Care to explain?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Spent a good while today working on this:

Yep, I remade the tour map! My goal was to make it more accurate with what will be seen in RTJP while staying true to the original. Some of you may have come across an old version I made for old 2011 RTJP, which had the same idea in mind, though is largely inaccurate to the shape of the island. This version is designed to act as a basic guide when navigating the island and will be found on the tour brochures scattered around - however, due to it being exclusively designed for tourists, it does not list anything aside from guest facilities and roads. :P
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

"Let's get something straight...this is not a weekend excursion."

"What's so great about discovery? It's a violent, penetrative act that scars what it explores."

"...the most advanced amusement park in the entire world! Incorporating all the latest technologies...we've made living biological attractions so astounding, that they'll capture the imagination of the entire planet."

"...with this place, I wanted to show them something that wasn't an illusion. Something that was real, something that they could see and touch. An aim not devoid of merit..."

"They should all be destroyed!"

"If there is one thing the history of evolution has taught us it's that life will not be contained. Life breaks free, it expands to new territories and crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously..."
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Is it okay if I whine a little bit about the workload of placing the amount of tour road that will be present on Isla Nublar?
Click on Image
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time...

Well, not really a LONELY time, but still! Been away for a long while, so I figured I'd better just give everyone a bit of an update. :P

Yes, I have been working on RTJP - not too frequently, but progress is progress! I've been trying to apply for a January class back at school in video game design, which has been eating up a ton of my time since it seems that's the only class in the local college that isn't available until next year (ugh). Hopefully I'll find a way to worm myself in since at the moment life is being rough in other matters as well. :? Not to mention being sidetracked making other little mods - namely a tomb overhaul mod for Morrowind and an HD skin mod for Project Zomboid (the latter of which reached most popular Zomboid mod on Steam! :P )
Now that I've come up with sad excuses and I've whined a bit, LOOK! THINGS!
Click on Image
I admittedly created this just before I went on hiatus, but I figured I'd still share it. Here's one of my favorite herbivores, triceratops, the three-horned face. The model is the old rigged JPOG mesh, using a brand new skin I created based on many, many reference photos of the original ILM model, and I'm very happy with how it turned out. There will, of course, be a couple variants of this - definitely a male and juvenile version, as well as a partially devoured corpse and sleeping variant for some specific scenes.
Click on Image
Here's something else I've been working on, this being the third incarnation after several failed attempts. I don't want to detail too much as to what this building's purpose in the game is as it will definitely ruin the fun, but I can say that this is where much of the water flow of central Isla Nublar is controlled, located underground and connected to the maintenance tunnels. Drain pipes push water out of an underground spring to fill two of the more recognizable pools you'll come across on the island.

More soon - I just finished setting up a brand-new rendition of the seven-foot electric fences that surround the dilophosaur enclosure, and I've been adding detail at breakneck speed...I daresay the amount of content currently present would be enough to fill a regular, medium-sized Tres level at this point (maybe roughly JR)...which also amounts to about 6-8% of all this mod's Isla Nublar. :mrgreen:
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

The Spitter Pen:

"If you look to your right, you will see a herd of the first dinosaurs on our tour, called 'dilophosaurus'. One of the earliest carnivores, we now know that dilophosaurus is actually poisonous - spitting its venom at its prey, causing blindness and eventually paralysis, allowing the carnivore to eat at its leisure. This makes dilophosaurus a beautiful but deadly addition to Jurassic Park."

s13n1
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by s13n1 »

If you wanna get the alpha textures working in max, put the black and white texture in the opacity slot in the material editor in Max.

To see what I mean, just import a tres model, like a tree, and you'll see what I mean.

If the models material isn't already there, use the eye dropper in the material editor to sample the model, it will pop up.