Screenshot thread

TheIdiot's new mod set on Isla Nublar

Moderators: scallenger, Wajas, TheIdiot

machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: Screenshot thread

Post by machf »

Well, I must say I like the "upper" screenshots better... the "lower" ones look too washed up or something...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Like the screenies. The areas look quite expansive, I can tell a great amount of effort and consideration went into aesthetics.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:Well, I must say I like the "upper" screenshots better... the "lower" ones look too washed up or something...
Thanks for the input. :) Yeah, that's the issue Draco was having too...it seems the grass texture which I'm using as a base has too much of a whitish color; it needs to be more yellow-greenish to match up with the movie. We're working on updating that now.
Like the screenies. The areas look quite expansive, I can tell a great amount of effort and consideration went into aesthetics.
Well, the entire game (besides the tutorial and ending) takes place in one level file, so you can imagine how "big" everything feels. :D I'm a bit of a detail freak as well, though that's something of a disadvantage when it comes to Tres because it can't really handle too much and it's starting to show slightly.
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

Use culling (shadows too) values whenever you can. There's little point in rendering objects that can't be seen, eg. interior decor., or objects that are out of view with relation to player position.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Rebel wrote:Use culling (shadows too) values whenever you can. There's little point in rendering objects that can't be seen, eg. interior decor., or objects that are out of view with relation to player position.
Took your advice and got the FPS up a bit, also boosted stability. Thanks, Rebel. :) If object shadows aren't rendered on other objects, is it safe to set bool Shadows = false on objects that are exclusively indoors?
Rebel
-=TresCom Developer=-
-=TresCom Developer=-

Post by Rebel »

is it safe to set bool Shadows = false on objects that are exclusively indoors?
Sure. I always did. Rendering indoor shadows is pretty much pointless, not to mention inaccurate seeing that directional lighting is fixed and translates rather poorly indoors.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Rebel wrote:
is it safe to set bool Shadows = false on objects that are exclusively indoors?
Sure. I always did. Rendering indoor shadows is pretty much pointless, not to mention inaccurate seeing that directional lighting is fixed and translates rather poorly indoors.
Ooh, so for example I can take the interior models of the Visitor Center - which will never be seen outside - and disable the shadows for an FPS boost with no loss in quality?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer
Antispam: No

Post by Draconisaurus »

machf wrote:Well, I must say I like the "upper" screenshots better... the "lower" ones look too washed up or something...
I can't believe it, machf and I agree on something! :o

Disabling shadows for interior objects is a good idea. I may recall doing the same for JPDS. Also be careful with the culling values; with Tres CE we should be able to get better rendering results, and it may become less necessary to do stuff like that. We'll see how it goes.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Alright, so, I finally went ahead and made a corrected grass texture, based right off of the Brachiosaur scene from the movie. I think it's pretty good, better than the minty one (sorry, Sam). The only texture I changed was the base grass one, so you can compare it with the lighter one I was using before. What do you guys think?
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
The color is based on this image:
Click on Image
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

O_O TI, you may not believe it but I actually approve of this new grass texture.

However.. the lighter-colored grass patches are uglier than ever. :lol:

Also... I truly do not understand your insistence on using TresEd for screenshots! Ingame is so much nicer, especially with CE..
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

O_O TI, you may not believe it but I actually approve of this new grass texture.
And there was much rejoicing... :lol:
However.. the lighter-colored grass patches are uglier than ever. :lol:
Got them fixed already - now they look BETTER than ever! Mixed in a bit of dirt instead of that weird brownish thing I had before.
Also... I truly do not understand your insistence on using TresEd for screenshots! Ingame is so much nicer, especially with CE..
At this point, it's just because the level is broken, to be honest. Not that we'll be seeing much of it anymore, anyway...if you know what I mean. :wink: What I mean to say is that Draco and I are in the process of moving to a new level file of Isla Nublar - and this one is, literally, larger than ever.

EDIT: Finally got some new images uploaded, they're from the new rtjp~testing level, running in CE. Got a new enhanced sky, brand new textures for everything as well as normalmaps and HD textures on a few select objects.
Click on Image
Click on Image
Click on Image
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Oh noz, bumpmaps up the arse! :D Sweet! I like the new foliage textures. 8)
DrShaw
Triceratops
Triceratops

Post by DrShaw »

Oh...this level will be amazing to play when it finish and on the CE. I be holding on to my butt until then!
~Dr.Shaw

We are tressers by heart like Anne. John made his dream come true as well as mine.
We trespass on his dream and to see the forgotten world that once was alive 65 million years ago now touchable. Who...dares to come trespass....?
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Hmmm just a note... I'm not sure bumpmaps are a good idea for foliage. It looks great but I think they are a little taxing on the engine. But TBH I'm not sure how much of an issue this would be with CE. Might want to test out a super thick environ with them and have a look at FPS.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

DrShaw wrote:Oh...this level will be amazing to play when it finish and on the CE. I be holding on to my butt until then!
Well, it's already on CE, so that's one thing ticked off. The game itself is another story...no idea how long this'll take, but maybe I'll get the Test Level out here and there as sort of a filler/teaser. Even then, it's still gonna be a while. :wink:
Hmmm just a note... I'm not sure bumpmaps are a good idea for foliage. It looks great but I think they are a little taxing on the engine. But TBH I'm not sure how much of an issue this would be with CE. Might want to test out a super thick environ with them and have a look at FPS.
Exactly what I plan to do. If bumpmaps become an issue, I'll remove them or make them optional. They didn't seem to be too problematic in Tres, so hopefully they'll be fine on CE. I don't recall normalmaps ever being very taxing on many game engines, though these were modern, unmodified engines. Who knows how tres will handle 5000+ pieces of HD, normalmapped flora? I guess we'll have to find out... :sick: