TheIdiot's new mod set on Isla Nublar

Moderators: scallenger, Wajas, TheIdiot

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Return to Jurassic Park - New Isla Nublar Mod

Post by TheIdiot »

hppav
Thanks for that, I fixed it, both little islands are there now. I'm going to see if I can't make some of the shirts in there too. Anything else I might have missed?

Concerning updates: I haven't done much work on the mod recently, been too caught up in real life events that were bringing me down. Thankfully, everything is sorted out. Now it's just a matter of getting into the Trespasser modding mood - it tends to come and go in little spurts for me. It's warming up here in the frozen wastes of Canada and I've been going outside here and there, and, being an outdoors type of person, progress will unfortunately slow in the summer.

The work I have done is really just minor...getting some new triggers and ideas set up (Main Gate flames, dinosaur sounds), adding more fences, and some minor terraforming. I might start adding in some trees and stuff to the Visitor Area so I can make a little demo level or something showcasing the Visitor Center (or what's made so far of it), Raptor Pit / Containment Area - which will be fenced off for gameplay reasons - and Main Gate. Plus a few dinosaurs, guns, and demo versions of the health system and power generator. But that's a while off. :p

An idea brought me awake one morning last week...I almost didn't write it down. What if there were traces of vandalism spread across the island, made by daredevils or adventurers who have managed to sneak onto the island? Put some graffiti here and there, broken objects, things stolen from the gift shop, and, of course, the bodies of those who didn't make it. I think it would add some detail and fun (not to mention plenty of references and easter eggs) to the game. Maybe I'll give this a shot next, who knows? I have a horrible work order. Anyhow, that's all for tonight. Just letting you guys know what's going on. :)
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
Antispam: No

Post by vagrantart »

Did you consider building it in Unity?.Would have speeded it up a lot and made more options for releasing / sharing.Only issue is of course dinosaurs (but that's always the issue I guess!).
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

vagrantart wrote:Did you consider building it in Unity?.Would have speeded it up a lot and made more options for releasing / sharing.Only issue is of course dinosaurs (but that's always the issue I guess!).
Finally found the quote button! :mrgreen:

But no, I knew from the start if I was going to make a Jurassic Park game, it would have to be in Trespasser. All the framework and resources are there, plus I have a lot of prior experience making levels for it and absolutely no experience in Unity (or many other engines for that matter). And, don't get me wrong, I've seen some pretty interesting Unity games, but they usually have this extremely "stock" feel to them, like you can tell they were made in Unity (eg. take a look at the trees in Slender - you'll see them in almost every other Unity game). So I'd much rather stick to something I think is fun and looks nice - and already has (mostly-)fully working dinosaurs in it. :)

EDIT: By the way, hppav, did you ever get that Nublar stuff uploaded to the Dropbox? I wanted to do a bit more work on the Visitor Center area and would like to see a bit more of how much space the VC would take up. Also, do you have that model of the Maintenance Shed? I'm about to try my hand at it but realized there was no way I would get it anywhere near as accurate as you have.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Well, another double post. Sorry guys... :?

I did a bit of work for the last few nights on the mod, and I've got some new screenshots. I want to do some work on the Visitor Compound and try to get it detailed enough for a little demo or something. Kind of like the Trespasser demo - just a little tiny area which you can explore and try to survive.

Anyway, new images:
Spoiler: show
I detailed the front of the Visitor Center and the pond a bit yesterday and made the mesh for the little garden in front of the pond. There is a CEntityWater there, but since this is in TresEd, it doesn't show up. It looks pretty cool in the game. I have yet to import hanging moss objects and vines to make the building more decayed looking, as well as the wooden scaffolding which is on the left hand side of the building. You can see the two shipping crates on the left which are noticeable in JP: The Game. I'll probably make one of them able to open, but it'll be locked unless you can knock the lock off.
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
Same as above, except the Raptor Pit. Detailed and surrounded in foliage. I have yet to get a crane model into the game, and I want to make a dinosaur transport crate as well to spice up the area.
Click on Image
Here's my crappy placeholder model of the Maintenance Shed and other buildings in the area. This is just southwest of the Raptor Pit in the jungle. It has all the fallen trees and such from the movie, and I've already made a basic setup of Muldoon's death location - which will, of course, have his body and shotgun. As well as another surprise. Clever girl...
Click on Image

Just a shot of the backside of the Visitor Center. That shipping container is just there for decoration. There will be some construction going on back here and maybe a bulldozer or something like that.
Click on Image
Last one, probably the least interesting to all you casual players. This is the little area I've set up for all the triggers which are in place to make the lights (as well as computers, electronic locks and so on in the future) turn on once the power is reactivated. And those are just to work a very limited number of objects, mostly fence lights. There's going to be a lot of these by the end, but the amount of work it took to get them to actually activate properly is well worth it.
Click on Image
hppav
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-
-=TresCom Forum Admin=-

Post by hppav »

TheIdiot wrote:EDIT: By the way, hppav, did you ever get that Nublar stuff uploaded to the Dropbox? I wanted to do a bit more work on the Visitor Center area and would like to see a bit more of how much space the VC would take up. Also, do you have that model of the Maintenance Shed? I'm about to try my hand at it but realized there was no way I would get it anywhere near as accurate as you have.
Ah yeah, here it is: https://app.box.com/s/kehnd2ui4yqpn95jfxrf

There's a texture on the second floor model that has 4 placeholder textures combined into one (CRWall2). Never did finish those, but one of the ones I did somewhat finish is seen on this image:
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/7105/dm0.jpg

That switch box and its door is what I got finished, those and a new wall texture are included in this file: https://app.box.com/s/3mtnryx0yzh100qrlwsi
I was planning on redoing a bunch of the textures for the Control Room, but didn't get that far. I didn't do any work on reducing palettes used by these textures though, so each one has it's own palette unless you go and make a new palette for them. I didn't know anything about palettes when I made my first couple JP levels :lol:

And there's a level in there that you wanted called JPOTestLevel, WH... That level has all the interior goodies I made for the control room JPO, but I believe they still have my old Connection Machines where the LED texture is on wrong so that it goes up and down instead of side to side... And there's a "More Complete" Visitor Center, which by that I mean it has more of the furniture I had made that didn't get ported over to the later level yet.

And looking really good so far! 8)
Album 1 http://m.imgur.com/a/cRA26
Album 2 http://imgur.com/a/6tvKV
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom leaked and (few) official photos
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

hppav
Thanks for all that stuff, it's all amazing work! It took me a little while to go through it all, and wow. First off, that JPO Beach level looks awesome, it's really a shame that it wasn't finished. I'm going to be using it as inspiration for the south end of the island since we know that the north is jungle as well. You can bet that giant wind turbine will be getting a home eventually!
The JPO test level is extremely interesting, especially to see the difference between your Visitor Compound and mine. I like the old design of the Visitor Center more, admittedly, but it isn't really complete enough to use. The new hppavtest also had some useful stuff, especially those little Safari Lodges which you can bet I'll be using - I don't know what those other buildings are though, but they look like excellent storage facilities. I checked out the Control Room too, it's really neat. The only gripe I have is that there's no complete Visitor Center model -which I will have to get someone to model eventually - but either way, I'm very grateful for it all. Thank you very much, hppav! :P

In other news, I spent most of today working on the mod. I was able to import the back of the Visitor Center for scale and it just so happens that I left exactly the amount of room needed for the back part. Sweet. Other than that, I did a ton of detailing and such - check it out:
Nearly finished the Raptor Pit area, all those terrain textures and the ones in the following images are brand new. I need to add the damage to the pit still, but that's about it.
Click on Image
Visitor Center, even more detailed now. Looking much more decayed now. I just added the scaffolding yesterday, and now that I have actual, hppav-made VC scaffolding...well, so much for my idea. :(
Click on Image
Here's a little bridge I added on the Access Road to the Helipad. It was inspired by an actual drive-through I saw of the film location. Just decided to use the broken bridge for more decay. You can also see the Dilophosaur Paddock 1 behind the fence and the dense jungle area within.
Click on Image
...need I say more?
Click on Image
And here's the back part of the Visitor Center. Fits perfectly in where I had it planned to go!
Click on Image
IN GAME SHOTS:

This is the player skin I have for now. I might change it over to use the Beta 96 Anne for some variety (and so her arm isn't all derped).
Click on Image
Here's a benchmark of the Visitor Center, looking up at it. This shot was taken about a day ago so the terrain isn't detailed yet and the back part isn't there, but I still get 15 FPS. You can also see the HUD I was using in the old Alpha. A bit of refinement and I think it's good to go.
Click on Image
The Main Gate, with yesterday's detail.
Click on Image
Same stream from above, just started making it.
Click on Image
SEE? There IS water!
Click on Image
That's all for now. Still working away.

By the way, one last request for hppav - if you have any spare time, PLEASE finish the Visitor Center. There's no deadline or time constraints, just if you get around to it, can you give it a go? I doubt I'll be able to do it myself, I suck at modelling interiors. That's the only request I have left for now. Thank you for all your contributions, either way! :P
TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by TheKritter71 »

Looks great, how will the campaign start out? On a beach like in JPO or crashed helicopter?
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

TheKritter71 wrote:Looks great, how will the campaign start out? On a beach like in JPO or crashed helicopter?
Well, if you insist, I'll explain. :P

SPOILER ALERT!
After completing an optional tutorial/introduction level, Diane will arrive by a one-man government helicopter at the helipad. She'll go along an linear path inland (blocked by gates which can't be opened until later) toward the Visitor Center, where she'll find what she's looking for - that being either dinosaur eggs or embryos. Her mission complete, she returns to the helipad only to find Rexy there and her chopper destroyed.
I want to make something different than the standard "plane/boat/helicopter crashes, now escape!" scenario that's common in these kinds of games. This sort of thing makes for a bit of an interesting plot twist that would normally be lacking. 8)
TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by TheKritter71 »

If you require testing or overlooking, I can help (though quite hard due to low fps on windows 8 but still playable). I've been waiting for a Nublar map like this to appear since JPO. Also would you add points of interests or items (such as the barbasol can or Muldoon's remains in which you can obtain his special shotgun)
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

TheKritter71 wrote:If you require testing or overlooking, I can help (though quite hard due to low fps on windows 8 but still playable). I've been waiting for a Nublar map like this to appear since JPO. Also would you add points of interests or items (such as the barbasol can or Muldoon's remains in which you can obtain his special shotgun)
Well, I'm nowhere near the playtesting stage, but if you're around long enough for that, yeah, you're in. :wink: Though the low FPS could crash your game - I get a crash near Dilophosaurus Paddock 1 when facing the Visitor Compound inside the Perimeter Fence on my Windows 7, so heads up on that, but most of the game should be playable depending on how optimized I have to make it.

Regarding POIs, the Barbasol Can was crushed by Rexy in Jurassic Park: The Game, so it's gone for good. Muldoon's remains already have their location staked out and his SPAS-12 will be there. All of the movie and game locations will be there, no worries. I have Nedry's Jeep in its appropriate location already. :)
TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by TheKritter71 »

I just want to note, you shouldn't take JP The Game as canon. It ruined Jurassic Park and you forgot they didn't show it but the island was bombed once they left. So I'd suggest ignoring all regards to JP the Game and keeping the island as it was after JP (barbasol can by Nedry's abandoned jeep, Visitor Center isn't destroyed, etc.). Most JP fans hate the game because of ending. And about the jeep did you 'leave' it where it was in the game or it's iconic location like in the movie.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

TheKritter71 wrote:I just want to note, you shouldn't take JP The Game as canon. It ruined Jurassic Park and you forgot they didn't show it but the island was bombed once they left. So I'd suggest ignoring all regards to JP the Game and keeping the island as it was after JP (barbasol can by Nedry's abandoned jeep, Visitor Center isn't destroyed, etc.). Most JP fans hate the game because of ending. And about the jeep did you 'leave' it where it was in the game or it's iconic location like in the movie.
First off, I'd just like to say that I loved the game. Sure, the gameplay was awful and boring as hell, but I felt the story was really nice and a far better sequel than either The Lost World or JPIII. I understand why you may not like the way things went down, and I'll take note of that. :) Perhaps I'll release a secondary version which ignores the events of the game and restores everything to how it was after the movie, since I agree, a lot of it kind of ruins iconic locations. So yes, Nedry's Jeep is crashed at the base of the hill and the Visitor Center is destroyed.

My explanation of the survival of the island will be a central part of RTJP's story which I'd rather not give away just yet. But as far as canon goes, I figure the game doesn't really have anything that conflicts with the original too badly, so it will be considered part of the universe. Sorry to all of you who don't like the game, like I said, maybe there will be a version that omits the changes the game made, but for now, that's that. :wink:

I'd also like to make a version of the Park which isn't damaged at all and still in full operation, with a (somehow) functioning Grounds Tour and River Adventure. But that's a looooong ways off, if it even happened at all.
TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by TheKritter71 »

What one can do is just open TresEd and move the jeep up ontop of the hill and add the barbasol can at the base of the hill with GeomAdd. If I obtain the files with your permission, I can do some research and remove any game areas for people who are not interested in game canon in being in the map. There should be default version, movie-canon (after JP) and novel canon (the novel park version could be a 'remake' of the original map your making but more akin to the design of Crichton's map of Jurassic Park, it's unneeded though). I've been messing with hppav's JPO test map and confused about right locations too because of terrain, I can't decide where the helipad area is or the ED though I looked over the movie map and the locations where I look seem to be right.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

TheKritter71 wrote:What one can do is just open TresEd and move the jeep up ontop of the hill and add the barbasol can at the base of the hill with GeomAdd. If I obtain the files with your permission, I can do some research and remove any game areas for people who are not interested in game canon in being in the map. There should be default version, movie-canon (after JP) and novel canon (the novel park version could be a 'remake' of the original map your making but more akin to the design of Crichton's map of Jurassic Park, it's unneeded though). I've been messing with hppav's JPO test map and confused about right locations too because of terrain, I can't decide where the helipad area is or the ED though I looked over the movie map and the locations where I look seem to be right.
Woah, slow down there, man! The mod is still heavily under construction and won't be out for a good while. If there is enough demand I'll make a version without game areas, but that's after the main release. Novel canon is unfortunately not going to happen no matter what - it'd be a completely different design and I would have to remake the entire thing - that's an entirely different project. :P

As for the JPO test, you'd have to ask hppav himself, but I'm pretty sure he was using a different version of the map that he came up with himself, and therefore there are bound to be differences. I think he called it "hppav-canon" or something like that? Especially since JPO was to include a "Visitor Village", underwater facility (different than the Marine Facility since this was BEFORE the game was announced), and several other differences from the JP Legacy Film-Canon map, which I assume is what you're using. I am using JPL's map (with JP: The Game additions and changes) for a basis as well with some of my own additions, like the Worker Village and Mountaintop Station. Remember, some creative license is going to be taken for gameplay value! :)

EDIT: With this post, I'm now a "Parasaurus"?! Isn't it "Parasaurolophus"? Nag nag nag! :D
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

TheIdiot wrote: EDIT: With this post, I'm now a "Parasaurus"?! Isn't it "Parasaurolophus"? Nag nag nag! :D
There are both (here on the forum, I mean).
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files