TheIdiot's new mod set on Isla Nublar

Moderators: scallenger, Wajas, TheIdiot

TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Return to Jurassic Park - New Isla Nublar Mod

Post by TheIdiot »

machf wrote:
TheIdiot wrote: EDIT: With this post, I'm now a "Parasaurus"?! Isn't it "Parasaurolophus"? Nag nag nag! :D
There are both (here on the forum, I mean).
Oh, I see. The Tres Parasaur always looked kind of iffy.
TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
Antispam: No

Post by TheKritter71 »

Wasn't meaning now but a while later to overlook the files, about the time when you need glitch overlooking and bugs before release.. But anyway will you add that scientist woman's warehouse since the thing is corresponding to the game?
Road Warrior
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by Road Warrior »

Outstanding. More please.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

TheKritter71 wrote:Wasn't meaning now but a while later to overlook the files, about the time when you need glitch overlooking and bugs before release.. But anyway will you add that scientist woman's warehouse since the thing is corresponding to the game?
Okay, gotcha. :) And yes, Laura Sorkin's Field Lab will be in the game, with a full interior as well. It's on the very northern coast, along with the Parasaur holding pen and the "Quarantine Pens".
Road Warrior wrote:Outstanding. More please.
I'm working on it. :D Going to head out for a bit today so there won't be TOO much new stuff for the weekend.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Hello again, everyone. Got another update and some new interesting features to discuss!

I've been modding here and there for the last few days and have only now really got some things done. First off, I imported the helicopter model from Christmas Crisis and gave it a new skin and an animation which took way longer than it should have :P . Now, right as the game starts, Diane can watch her means of transport slowly fly up and away from the helipad, disappearing over some mountains to scout out the rest of the island. You'll be able to see it flying around overhead as the game progresses, perhaps even helping you here or there. It looks really neat so far!

What I'm working on right now is a few new items that Diane can pick up to give her bonuses and other advantages. So far, I only have two of them implemented at basic level and they will both be items she will come to the island with. The first is her Walkie-Talkie, which will be used to communicate with your superior on the mainland, as well as your pilot and several other characters. Once you have it, you'll never lose it as it attaches (via CEntiyAttached) to your shirt. The second item is a pair of gold-tinted sunglasses, which, when equipped, will protect you from Dilophosaurus venom's effects, but only once. It also colors your vision sort of yellowish. However, the glasses will easily be dropped or even broken when Diane is hit by a dinosaur, and will be blackened with dilophosaur venom if she is hit by it. In this case, the glasses drop to the ground and change their textures to show that they're now useless and Diane's view returns to normal (unless they don't break, in which case they can be picked up and used again). It's an awfully elaborate feature but one that will add something new and interesting to good ol' Tres 8) .

I'm going to head back to it - stay tuned for perhaps some new images!
RantosaurusRex
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by RantosaurusRex »

Sounds incredible, I'm looking forward to more. :yes:
Trespasser's secrets must be revealed!

Lurk! Lurk! All day long! Lurk! Lurk!
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

RantosaurusRex wrote:Sounds incredible, I'm looking forward to more. :yes:
And there's more coming very soon. Been doing a lot of work on another movie location!

I have a request for an experienced Tres modeller: does anyone think they can rig the Trescom Isle Parasaurolophus and make it walk on four legs instead of two? I think it would look a lot better and would give them a more realistic feel to them - that is, until the T-rex attacks, at which point they would stand up and run for it. You'll be put in the credits, of course, and your work will make an appearance in some soon-to-be screenshots! :)

EDIT / UPDATE: You guys wanted more? You shall have MOAR!
Spoiler: show
"Doctor Grant, my dear Doctor Sattler...welcome to Jurassic Park!"
The scenic view from the movie. Please keep in mind that all the images you are about to see are VEEEERY WIP! I couldn't add more Parasaurs because the game can't handle more than seven dinosaurs and I already have six in this paddock.
Click on Image
(Click on thumbnail for full size)
A closeup of the new Parasaur skin I threw together. It turned out pretty friggen' nice for a recolor, though I did do quite a bit of additional editing. It's based on JP: The Game.
Click on Image
The place where the visitors first see the Brachiosaurus. The smaller trees were taken from that Greenhouse level; to make the larger ones, I simply made their trunks larger and longer.
Click on Image
Finally found a place for that new fence from forever ago. This is the gate that leads into the South Barachiosaur Paddock. Around here the dramatic "Theme From Jurassic Park" cues up. It sends shivers down my spine every time. :P
Click on Image
This is what you can see from the Safari Lodge bridge - a spectacular view across the Park. I have yet to detail the jungle terrain you see on the right.
Click on Image
An overview of the area. At the start of the game, this is one of the first places you will have to navigate to move on. There will be a locked gate blocking your way (with the "Manual Override" switch broken - InGen tolerates no trespassers!), which will force you into the Sector's Maintainence Building between the Proceratosaur Paddock and Aviary where you'll get a sudden mood change upon finding a corpse or two. :wink:
Click on Image
Moving away from the brachiosaur paddock, here's a bit more work on the Helipad. The TC rocks really look nice in this environment. Also, you can see Diane's helicopter in the position it takes off from. It flies up the waterfall and over the hills.
Click on Image
This box contains your starting gear. All tools which will be extremely useful in the future.
Click on Image
Here's the gate leading to and from the helipad. There will be a little pond to the left to enhance the serene atmosphere...if you can call a torn apart fence serene.
Click on Image
Hmm...what could this MEAN?! :lol:
Click on Image
Lastly, here's an overview at the highest detail setting of most of the work so far, facing geographical north. It takes me about 11 minutes without jumping to walk from the helipad to the Visitor Center now, and that's without several planned dinosaur encounters, puzzles, and "ooh, aah" factor. I can garment that there will be a ton of gameplay time, with lots of backtracking, free roaming, and running for your life from hungry dinosaurs. :mrgreen: If there's to be a demo, it'll most likely be the walk from the helipad to the Visitor Center in full detail with everything else obscured by billboard trees, perhaps ending with Diane reaching the Main Utility Shed and calling for help.
Click on Image
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by vagrantart »

It's funny seeing someone working on same areas as I am at the moment,I looked into adding the helipad and the fence and leading to the lake where they see the first dino,problem was distance for me..it was a long walk from the helipad to the visitor centre and would need so much vegetation.Also the terrain at the lake (where they drive up and stop)is so flat compared to the rest of my map.With the aviary I know it supposed to have a big river leading through it too(was there rivers in trespasser? i forget) its all sort of awkward fit in my map trying to fit the movie something you can explore.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

vagrantart wrote:It's funny seeing someone working on same areas as I am at the moment
I know, right? :P Though your version - particularly your Visitor Center - is much more astonishing and pleasing to see.
vagrantart wrote:I looked into adding the helipad and the fence and leading to the lake where they see the first dino,problem was distance for me..it was a long walk from the helipad to the visitor centre and would need so much vegetation.
What scale is your map at? I take it yours is far larger than mine, since I'm limited to a 1024x1024 heightmap. I would imagine CryEngine could handle such a thing, provided you only detailed areas you needed?
vagrantart wrote:Also the terrain at the lake (where they drive up and stop)is so flat compared to the rest of my map.
That area took me forever too. :? It was a pain to get everything to look good and the ground to look natural. In the end, it's all a lot more sloped than in reality. I find using actual images and videos of film locations and the areas surrounding them to be a big help, if you haven't tried that yet.
vagrantart wrote:With the aviary I know it supposed to have a big river leading through it too(was there rivers in trespasser? i forget) its all sort of awkward fit in my map trying to fit the movie something you can explore.
The Aviary has the main Jungle River flowing through...think JP3, though in my version it's much less mountainous. Trespasser didn't have any rivers in the original, but Dark Secrets gave us the secret to simple rivers that don't crash the game and still look decent - check out JPDS: Streams to see what I mean. :) Fitting the movie into a gameplay area isn't easy, especially when it's so downscaled. That's why you kind of have to be creative in certain areas to when filling in the space between main locations, which I admit, can be one of the hardest parts of map design. I find Google Images to be a great source of ideas for filler locations.
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Re: Return to Jurassic Park - Looking for experienced modell

Post by vagrantart »

I cant remember the scale of my map,most of it is going unused really. Cryengine gets weird when you scale things up,tried adding the waterfall but scaling up particles is a nightmare.I still haven't went beyond the main room of the visitor centre,it's something I want to do but time wise it's a huge job.Can you tunnel through terrain in tres editor? I originally wanted to add some tunnels in my map (like the big ones that alan grant washes his face in after the trex attack).
TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by TheKritter71 »

I think you can, they had a tunnel in East Dock
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

vagrantart wrote:I cant remember the scale of my map,most of it is going unused really. Cryengine gets weird when you scale things up,tried adding the waterfall but scaling up particles is a nightmare.I still haven't went beyond the main room of the visitor centre,it's something I want to do but time wise it's a huge job.Can you tunnel through terrain in tres editor? I originally wanted to add some tunnels in my map (like the big ones that alan grant washes his face in after the trex attack).
Ah, that sucks. :( I'd like to help as much as I can but I have zero experience in CryEngine. Your project looks pretty awesome anyhow, I'm sure the areas you do show us are going to be well worth the wait! And TresEd can't do tunnels normally, you have to carve a hole into the terrain and create an actual object to be the top of the tunnel.
TheKritter71 wrote:I think you can, they had a tunnel in East Dock
They did that by making instances for each "section" of tunnel and putting a big object over the top of the mountain. Check it out in TresEd, it's hard to explain. :) It's going to make creating tunnels a huge pain in the butt!
TheKritter71
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by TheKritter71 »

I feel the raptor pen is a bit too close to the Visitor Center, the architect or Muldoon would think it may be a little to close as a hazard. You don't need to move it but personally I think it should be little aways from the Visitor Center. Several JP maps also depict the pen like a mile or 2 miles away in Visitor Center entrance direction.
vagrantart
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

Post by vagrantart »

I placed mine in almost that exact position,based on Ellie leaving the 1st bunker passing the pen and getting to 2nd bunker,also when she leaves she comes out near the visitor centre quickly.You could have a second fence though I guess between the areas or something.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

TheKritter71 wrote:I feel the raptor pen is a bit too close to the Visitor Center, the architect or Muldoon would think it may be a little to close as a hazard. You don't need to move it but personally I think it should be little aways from the Visitor Center. Several JP maps also depict the pen like a mile or 2 miles away in Visitor Center entrance direction.
Hmm, I do see your point. The JPO map's Raptor Pit is in a more logical position compared to the map I'm using, especially since the tour maps show the Raptors to be located to the north of the Visitor Center, along with the herrerasaurs. Based on the fact that they were in two of the three holding pens, I think it would make sense that they would be located near each other. However, the one issue I see here is that it has to be located between the Main Utility Shed and Emergency Bunker. This would mean that the Visitor Compound actually stretches much farther north (since Arnold says the shed is at the other end of the compound), and that the Emergency Bunker is probably placed closer to where I have the Raptor Pit right now. So, based on all this, that means I would pretty much have to switch around the locations of these three buildings, with the Bunker to the west of the VC, the Raptor Pit just north of the Main Gate, and the Utility Shed a bit beyond that. Hmm...it does seem more logical. Maybe I'll look into that in the future. :)
vagrantart wrote:I placed mine in almost that exact position,based on Ellie leaving the 1st bunker passing the pen and getting to 2nd bunker,also when she leaves she comes out near the visitor centre quickly.You could have a second fence though I guess between the areas or something.
The plan was that the Raptor Pit and Main Utility Shed would be surrounded by a smaller fence in the "Raptor Containment Area", which would be off-limits to visitors. Because of the above, however, I'm contemplating moving this area to the north, along with the herrerasaur holding pen.

In other news, I've been outside a lot and haven't really been home too much to work on this. I did a bit of work on the South Triceratops Paddock, Helipad and added a few woodland trees and TrnObjs for the south end of the island. Maybe I'll do some more work tonight. :wink: