Read all the other stories from the world

Moderators: scallenger, Rebel, Sky, madppiper

Draycos
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg
Antispam: No

JP Laptop

Post by Draycos »

In a computer cooling systems maintenance room on Site B, this laptop was found connected to a coolant tank for diagnostics, having been left by an employee during the evacuation.

Boot sequence can be seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8SQ-EOzGbw

I programmed in a custom startup screen displaying InGEN's logo and painted a decal on the top (and believe me it was a pain to paint lines that clean). I did have to edit in the screenshot from another picture i took of it since the camera didn't want to pick up the text at that angle.

It occurred to me that Jurassic Park was the most technologically advanced park in its day; therefore its employees would have access to superior equipment. It makes sense that they would have some laptops for park personnel even though they weren't mentioned in the book or the movies. So when i saw this at a local flea market i decided to make it into an InGEN laptop. This computer is a Toshiba T1200 which was in production from 1987 therefore it would be appropriate for use in either the book or movie time lines. It was considered a very advanced laptop for its time and has 1 MB RAM, 20 MB hard drive, and a 3.5" floppy drive. It was the first laptop to offer an optional back lit LCD screen and swappable rechargeable batteries.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-

Re: JP Laptop

Post by tatu »

That's quite neat! haha :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

Now that I like. :D
Bringing TPA CRCs up the well, amongst other file format adventures.
Blender 3.0 TPM Plugin [Project GitHub]
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

Very original...
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Post by Nick3069 »

You made that? Sweet! Looks very authentic. I bet you could sell that on Ebay for a fortune.
Draycos
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Draycos »

Nick3069 wrote:You made that? Sweet! Looks very authentic. I bet you could sell that on Ebay for a fortune.
Thanks! I like it too much to sell it though.
LtSten wrote:Now that I like. :D
Thanks!
tatu wrote:That's quite neat! haha :)
Thank you!
machf wrote:Very original...
Thanks!
Mickey
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Mickey »

Great work :)
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Sweeet... How much?
Draycos
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Draycos »

Mickey wrote:Great work :)
Thank you!
Hilwo wrote:Sweeet... How much?
Well it cost me $8 and some effort but it was $6499 when it was new!
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Nah I mean how much do you want for it ;)

Seriously though, you should leave it un the sun a couple of years, it'll look even more authentic :)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Ah lol dude Hilwo has a point. To make this ultra-awesome (it's already fantastic), try making it look like it's been in a locked room in a dirty, derelict building for the past couple decades. Dirt, sun, burn marks, maybe some dino bite marks too (guess they figured out how to open doors), as long as it remains functional!
Draycos
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Draycos »

Draconisaurus wrote:Ah lol dude Hilwo has a point. To make this ultra-awesome (it's already fantastic), try making it look like it's been in a locked room in a dirty, derelict building for the past couple decades. Dirt, sun, burn marks, maybe some dino bite marks too (guess they figured out how to open doors), as long as it remains functional!
Well I was considering doing that but I don't think my painting skills are good enough yet to make it look realistic. I'm going to look for an old computer tower that's the same color to practice on first. And I also need to look for some reference pictures so i can get the proper paint colors to get that moldy/dirty/left in the jungle effect. (i'll be breaking out the old lost world ld tonight for that)
Hilwo wrote:Nah I mean how much do you want for it ;)

Seriously though, you should leave it un the sun a couple of years, it'll look even more authentic :)
haha, well this one i don't think will be for sale. Perhaps i will do another (provided i can make this one look "neglected" properly) and put it on ebay.

Just a question to anybody out there, if i was to put something like this on ebay what would you be willing to pay for it? (if you would at all)
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

Well I've been doing a lot of ebaying lately lol. I'd say an item like this will either have to be buy-it-now and wait a while for some serious collector, or do repeated auctions at fairly high prices (which would cost you some money). I couldn't begin to guess on the price but I'd say, look and see what this kind of computer is currently selling for on eBay with no modifications. I might be able to make a guess using that amount.
Shadow Wolf
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus
Location: living underground in the middle of freaking nowhere

Post by Shadow Wolf »

I've been considering something more jurassic park than armour with doino claw marks down side coming from my "workshop" out back
post something intelligent before I go insane from a combination of exhaustion and boredom
Draycos
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by Draycos »

Hey everyone. Sorry that the screen on the first video was really hard to see anything so i've made another video using a CRT monitor from that era that is much more photogenic. The video can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtpQ_xDXUss