Darkness. Stillness. Closeness.
"Where am I?"
Moisture. Heat. Solitude.
"Let me out..."
Trapped. Blind. Drowning.
"Let me out!"
Starvation. Thirst. Suffocation.
"LET ME OUT!"

"Huh?" The technician turned in his chair at the sound of a crack. "Well, I'll be damned." He grabbed for his radio. "Hello? Yes, Mr. Hammond. You'd better get up here."

Light. Air. Voices.
"Freedom..."
Thrill. Curiosity. Desire.
"...others..."
Space. Life. Hunger.
"...at last."

"Come out, little one!"
The newborn raptor paused the demolition of its prison to gaze at the source of the voice. A thought appeared in its mind: parent.
"Rahhh!"
"Good girl, good!"
A rush of emotions --- joy, expectation, new beginning. But the raptor halted them; something wasn't right.
"Come on, now! Don't be shy..."
The raptor gazed at the figure: white covering; bright skin; tan hat; white beard.
The figure pointed at himself: "Me! Mr. Hammond."
Suddenly the raptor's mind was flooded --- images of jungle, desert, mountains, and...
The man began to pry off pieces of the plastic shell. "Out you come, now."
Claws. Scales. Teeth.
"It's all right!" The man chuckled jovially.
This figure... was not one of his own.
"Excuse me, Mr. Hammond?"
The supposed parent turned and moved away from the incubator. "Yes?"
"Here are the readings you requested."
"Ah-ha, thank you, Simmons." He tucked his cane under his arm and adjusted his glasses to scan the contents of a piece of paper. "2 pounds, 3 ounces... fascinating." After a moment he gazed back at the incubator.
The raptor was now out of its fractured vessel, preening itself, sitting atop imported hay and embryonic spillage.
"Well now, you've come out!" He leaned forward, his nose a half-foot from the saurian's snout. "Welcome, to Isla Sorna."
The raptor paused its activity to face the bearded would-be parent. A sense: he was supposed to respect this four-eyed individual. Insinct: this creature... was below her. She gazed around, sniffing. Hunger. She let out a high-pitched cry of authoritative, down-looking expectation, then continued removing the remnants of the egg and its contents from her hide with her jaws.
Hammond paused. For a moment, he felt a sense of displeasure. It was as if this creature had some deluion, some notion... that it was the sovereign ruler of this Earth. He quickly dismissed this.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Re: Sovereign Ruler of this Earth

Post by TheIdiot »

Poetic, to say the least, especially that beginning. :D You've got me hooked - would love to hear a story from the POV of a Raptor. And to me, it sounds like your Hammond might be a bit harsher than the film's interpretation based on that final sentence. Keep it up!
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

I agree will TheIditor. I like it. Can't wait for more :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

She raised her head, looked around. No sound had occured, no scent smelled, no new sight seen. Yet she knew: food.
The door to the room opened. A man in white, loose clothing entered pushing a cart.
Boring.
He opened a gray canister. The smell of processed meat and nutrients...
Loathsome.
With a spoon he scooped it into the incubator which was her home.
'Plop.' Revolting.
Again the memory... Killing. Warm flesh. Screams of pain. She would contemplate this longingly but the drive had run out. This delivery of nourishment had happened over and over, each time more numbing than the last.
'SMACK!'
The raptor landed on its back in the hay.
"Oh, I'm sorry!"
The man delivering the food had accidentally hit her in the snout with the serving spoon.
"Here," he said, reaching his hand out, "let me..."
'SNAP!'
Anger. Exstacy. Delicious.
"Ow!" The man pulled his hand back, bringing up his other hand to care for the injured one. "You little..."
"Rahhhhhh!" The raptor narrowed her eyes.
Without finishing his delivery, the man closed up the container contemptuously, made for the door. The raptor looked on with anger, then felt a new impulse. Energy coursed through her hips.
As he opened the door, he suddenly felt a sharp pain in his back. "Ouch!!"
The raptor clung onto the white covering of the man's back, its surface now punctured by her claws. But she was not looking at his shirt. The bare skin before her face filled her with lust for flesh. Her jaws began to drip. As a pathetic hand groped around for the assailant, she dug her teeth into the fresh meal - her first.
"Ahhhhh!"

She opened her eyes slowly. She was back in the nest of tan straws. A feeling was with her, which she knew had lasted since she lost consciousness; pleasure, satisfaction. She adjusted her head, closed her eyes again, let the feeling take her over. There had been pain, too, she remembered, from falling on the floor once the man who fed had grabbed her off his back. That was good; anything of intensity satisfied her.
She recalled the taste. Salty, living, warm. These sensations filled her jaw as she recalled them. It was good... Good, but not the same. She decided then: she needed more.
TheIdiot
T-Rex
T-Rex

Post by TheIdiot »

Great stuff once again. :) I like how the style in which you've chosen to present the dinosaur's thoughts is very primal, making it contrast quite sharply from the human's thoughts. We see it as an inferior incapable of our superior thinking, when in reality the Raptor is rather clever in its own way.
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

The raptor awoke, her eyes then stinging from the bright light of the sunrise. She could not actually see the sun; its orange face was concealed by the grey and blue walls of the enclosure she had been kept in. It had been some time since she was kept indoors. She was used to it by now; the cool wind, the sound made by the trees as they swayed.

After a moment of gazing and wondering, she heard voices in the distance. She felt instinct speaking to her: it was time. The humans who cared for her had given signs that they wanted to set her free. Not because they cared for her, but because she had become too dangerous to keep in the cramped space she was kept in.

The flick of a switch; the men stopped talking as the gate motor sounded. When they came into view, she saw that they both held the sort of stick she had encountered more than once, used to keep her from harming them. The shock would hurt; she stayed where she was. Suddendly she felt a sharp stab in her side and let out a momentary yelp of pain.

She awoke. Around her, the smells of pines, the brush of air, the faint purple of the sky. All familiar, except.. the walls were gone. She got up slowly, then padded along her way, endless new terrain to see and make a home of. She found a waterhole, drank nervously. The day had belonged to the humans; the night would be hers. Hers alone.