Anne's Model Design changes

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Anne's Model Design changes

Post by glitchhunter09 »

We all know about the Build 96 model for Anne. This model was also featured in the retail version's manual actually. There's a few screenshots that depict this model in the game's manual showing the manual was made sometime around the time of Build 96 or a bit before or after it. \

However, there's a third model. I've confirmed this by watching an ancient Trespasser Trailer. This Anne is only seen briefly in it, but she has a black shirt. This actually matches up with the three versions of Anne in the concept art. Or at least two of them. One has a black shirt, another one has a white shit similar to her build 96 model.

At 4:42 you can see the black shirt model breifly in this video while Anne's jumping into the Pine Valley Control room: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvQNT-Kc ... re=related

This actually also matches up with early screenshots that have Anne's arm and the Dinosaurs in Preset poses.

The difference between this arm and Anne's Build 96 arm are that she holds things differently. The arm also seems like it might be higher poly. Probably one of the best examples here: http://www.trescom.org/index.php?page=image&id=216

Now, in my upcoming site article, you're gonna see me comparing this screenshot with one I took in Build 96.

Anyway, discuss. =)
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Re: Anne's Model Design changes

Post by tatu »

Never seen some of those videos. I find the Water Physics more beautiful in the video than in the retail!

Here is a pic on the black shirt:
anneblackshirt.jpg

I believe Hilwo and I discovered that there is another skin version of Anne in the Strategy Guide too, one between the beta and retail.
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

Another model!! Quite interesting.
tatu wrote:I believe Hilwo and I discovered that there is another skin version of Anne in the Strategy Guide too, one between the beta and retail.
Wonder why they decided to ditch this black one an use the one we have now. We may never know...
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Are there any scans of that version of Anne in the Strategy Guide you mentioned Tatu? I'd like to check it out Tatu if that's alright.
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

awesome24712 wrote:Another model!! Quite interesting.
tatu wrote:I believe Hilwo and I discovered that there is another skin version of Anne in the Strategy Guide too, one between the beta and retail.
Wonder why they decided to ditch this black one an use the one we have now. We may never know...
My guess would be that the black shirt is not too interesting as it's very uniform and easy to overlook. The final version with the breasts and torn shirt across is more interesting to look at and also represents better that you are a stranded person with nothing else than your naked fists to defend yourself. Fits the survival theme better than a black suite.

EDIT: Besides, my "Anne-player" has a black shirt... but she's not actually Anne anymore :D
Leader, Head Programmer: Epsylon | Drag[en]gine ( Wiki )
tatu

Post by tatu »

I think it would be wierd if Anne had a complete black shirt, cause she would look like a ninja :P
Could just have been a temp of her before doing a final version. Remember that Anne was change a lot of times, including having the boobs moving.

It's not that you can really see it that clear in the guide, but if you take a close look are compare, I see it as they are different cause even tho the guide is black and white and has no color, Annes skin looks darker than the beta. Will PM you about images.
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

tatu wrote:Could just have been a temp of her before doing a final version.
Exactly what I was thinking, it's probably just a placeholder. Or maybe a simple error
or missing texture, though I guess they wouldn't put it in a trailer, then.

Edit: Or is the texture missing and are we looking at a shadow? Though I think shadows
only show on terrain and not structures?
Dragonlord
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by Dragonlord »

Shadows are not that dark neither are they of high enough quality. So that's for sure a texture. And I don't think that game engine knows missing textures. If something would be broken it would not load the map I guess.
Leader, Head Programmer: Epsylon | Drag[en]gine ( Wiki )
masterchiefoo7
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

Post by masterchiefoo7 »

Perhaps the black shirt was only used for this trailer, no cleavage would mean the game would be more marketable to younger audiences?

Perhaps when the trailer was made, the devs had not yet decided that the protagonist would be a woman?

Most likely it's just a placeholder, but it is fun to speculate. Good eye, Glitchhunter09!
Hammond: When they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing worked!

Ian: Yeah, but when Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists...

visit my website @ http://www.freewebs.com/masterchiefoo7
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Actually, one of the concept art images has Anne in a sleeveless black shirt. Another one has her in a white shirt that resembles her build 96 version's shirt. Not sure if the other concept image could be her final version's concept or not. May just have been a few different designs they were trying out or something.

However, black shirt Anne's arm definitely behaves differently from the final and build 96 versions of it. Take a look at a few screenshots from the final, Build 96, and old trespasser images from even earlier builds. I think you'll notice a startling difference in positioning when you hold certain objects and compare them between the three versions. ;) The horse shoe in Jungle Road is a good example.
awesome24712
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by awesome24712 »

glitchhunter09 wrote:Actually, one of the concept art images has Anne in a sleeveless black shirt. Another one has her in a white shirt that resembles her build 96 version's shirt. Not sure if the other concept image could be her final version's concept or not. May just have been a few different designs they were trying out or something.
I was thinking that the shirt in the Final was just an updated version of the one in the Beta (they're both white, and the final's just has a bit more wear and tear), and the Black Shirt model could have just been something from before Beta 96. Just an idea.
Check out the HL2 mod I'm helping with: Image
Visit my Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/awesome24712/
Visit my YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/user/awesome24712

Post benchamrks:
1 [x] 2 [x] 4 [x] 8 [x] 16 [x] 32 [x] 64 [x] 128 [x] 256 [x] 512 [x] 1024 [ ] 2048 [ ] 4096 [ ] 9192 [ ]
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

I want to note the possibility that Anne's shirt could in fact have been black from a missing texture. Depending on various things, Trespasser renders missing or non-extant textures as either gray or black. The powerlines and monolith are examples of this used intentionally in Tres. So far, IIRC, I have not been able to replicate this intentionally (comes out gray), but it has happened accidentally.