May have found the Mayan face / crashed jeep location...

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

May have found the Mayan face / crashed jeep location...

Post by Hilwo »

Maybe people have known for the longest time, but I only found out what is possibly
the 'Mayan face / crashed jeep' location for myself yesterday. It is at the hunter's
jeep near the construction shack.

While looking through the beta version of the level, I came accross a trigger for this Anne
voiceover:

VA34 - You saw what happened, didn't you?

Take a look at this TresEd screenshot from the beta Jungle Road level:

http://www.sonataarctica.nl/temp/yousawwhat.jpg

It is the trigger most left of the screen.

According to the Anne voiceovers script, Anne was to say this line at a Mayan face
overlooking a crashed jeep. Take a look at the info from the script:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

At Mayan face/wrecked jeep scene
Oh, my… 

Closer to Mayan face
You saw what happened, didn't you? 

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

The trigger for the voiceover is located at a very small but steep slope. Makes sense, as Anne
would have to walk up real close to the Mayan face before she would make the comment. If it
was played near the Mayan face instead of real close, players would look around and be like,
what was that about?

Also, the trigger for the voiceover is even in the retail version - but the voiceover itself was cut
from the retail stream.tpa, so it does not work in retail.

A link to the Mayan face texture (thanks Tatu):
viewtopic.php?f=120&t=8070

Link to pre-release image of Mayan face:
http://trescom.org/index.php?page=image&id=266
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Re: May have found the Mayan face / crashed jeep location...

Post by machf »

Hmmm... *that* is the Mayan face?
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Hilwo
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

Post by Hilwo »

Not really sure, I guess I just assumed it was the Mayan face as it was found in a JR beta file...
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

It may be, I always thought it was something like the one on top of the pyramid...
In fact, I thought it was a voiceover meant for the jeep that crushes the raptor in that ravine, and by extension, that the head atop the pyramid could be used in the same way... but this makes sense.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

Great find. 13 years and we still find stuff. I wonder how much there is left! :)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

I can support this. I took a look. The depression in the cliff in this screenshot is near identical to the one pictured in the background here: http://www.trescom.org/gallery/fullsize/sa3.jpg

I took a screenshot in TresEd since the old one's down and I also wanted to post it for comparison reasons:
Spoiler: show
Image also I'm working on a restoration project and anyone who can remake the model for that mayan head I'd appreciate it. Especially since the texture's already in JR. JR's my favorite level, so I decided to pick it to restore.
The cliff face is similar and the fact that there's a voice over in an odd spot further strengthens the theory as well. In fact, seeing as this is the only Jeep you can push down a hill in the beta (as mentioned in the walk through.) it would almost have to be this one. Especially since the only other Jeep you could push over in the final was located near what remained of the Hidden Valley which was part of PH originally so it doesn't count.
tatu

Post by tatu »

There is already a remake of the model in JPDS ;)
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

Um... Hate to burst your bubble Tatu but no there's not. I've searched and searched through every single JPDS level and all I found was some stupid stone face but it's flat and doesn't look a thing like this :Image
tatu

Post by tatu »

I know that there is a remake. I was with Draco when he finished it. It's in the Streams level. It's not an EXACLY copy, but the closest one you'll get...
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

Unless you figure out how to model yourself... This wouldn't be the most complex thing ever I imagine; although still quite challenging I'd guess.
If you really want something doing quickly, do it yourself, that's true for everything, not just Tres stuff. :P
Bringing TPA CRCs up the well, amongst other file format adventures.
Blender 3.0 TPM Plugin [Project GitHub]
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

I decided to do this over as I think I had the wrong location before. Here's what I found when I looked at the photo and raised the terrain near the VA trigger in the retail level:
Spoiler: show
I only used the beach texture because it was the closest thing in the level I could think of to the texture in the prototype screenshot above.

As you can probably see from both of these screenshots, this may very well be the spot... Though, it seems the ground in the area was made less flat compared to when that screenshot was taken if it is indeed the spot. As you can see, it slants almost like a hillside. It fits the description though. Small revine with a Jeep over looking it that you can push over into it, that VO, and now this circular outcrop thing here. The only thing missing from the equation to prove it's the right spot is the intended music track.