How are you folks able to play the beta?

Discuss early Trespasser builds and all other early Trespasser stuff here! Discover more amazing stuff about the game!

Moderators: TresCom Support Team, TresCom Board Managers, TresCom Developers

TheInformer
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

How are you folks able to play the beta?

Post by TheInformer »

I have the original Trespasser installed on my laptop (1.5 Ghz Toshiba L25-S1192, 2GB RAM, Radeon 200m graphics).

That being said, I tried installing the beta by first copying the contents of the beta CD image to a directory and then installing the maximum installed (via setup95.exe in the setup directory) the beta to my hard drive. All seems well. I right click on the trespass.exe file and have it run under Win95 compatibility.

I double click on trespass.exe to run the program. The opening menu comes up. I choose new game. The game loads, starts me out at the beach, and then promptly crashes when I move. That's as far as I've gotten.

Is it possible my original Trespasser installation is the cause of the problem? I renamed the directory it is in to avoid conflicts before I installed the beta.

Below is a screen shot of the files in my beta installation directory. Is it possible all of the files are not there? Thanks for any help!

Nick3069
Albertosaurus
Albertosaurus

Re: How are you folks able to play the beta?

Post by Nick3069 »

It might, but I remember somebody saying they had both installed. (maybe tatu?)
I can't play the beta either, instead I copied all the level files to the demo's data folder and I play the beta's level in the demo.
tatu
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
-=TresCom Website Manager=-
Antispam: No

Post by tatu »

One thing about the beta is that the engine is stable or some and really unstable for others, we do also know that the engine isn't the full one (Since some (if not all?) can't even fire the AK ingame, because the level crash).
The stability of the beta engine depends on the computer system.

The best way is anyway to use Trespasser Custom Edition to play the levels.

And I think it's possible to install both the beta and retail on the syster, as long that you got 2 different "trescd" folder, one for the beta and one for the retail and then install them on different location. Ex beta "Dreamworks\Trespasser Build 96" and retail "Dreamworks\Trespasser Retail".

EDIT: Oh I just saw that you got both installed. If the game crash for you, get Trespasser Custom Edition here:
http://www.fileplanet.com/203579/200000 ... -Release-1

And then move all the files in the "data" folder of the beta CD into the data folder in CE. And use the level select button and chose be.scn and have fun:)
Active project: Trespasser: Isla Sorna
BE-PH1: Released
PH2-IT: Pre-released
PL-SUM: In production

"...there used to be more benches, but InGen's workers removed them during the evacuation in the name of framerate."
machf
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by machf »

tatu wrote: And I think it's possible to install both the beta and retail on the syster, as long that you got 2 different "trescd" folder, one for the beta and one for the retail and then install them on different location. Ex beta "Dreamworks\Trespasser Build 96" and retail "Dreamworks\Trespasser Retail".
Also remember to edit the registry, as both the Beta and the Retail are seen as the same; depending on which you want to play, you have to edit the paths in the registry.
Visit The Carnivores Saga - a forum devoted to modding Action Forms' Carnivores, Carnivores 2 and Carnivores: Ice Age games
Tres WIP: updated T-Script Reference and File Formats documents
Sound name listings for the Demo (build 117), Retail (build 116), Beta 103, Beta 99, Beta 97, Beta 96, Build 55, PC Gamer Alpha (build 32) and E3 1998 Alpha (build 22) TPA files
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

ditto @ what machf said. To have both installed, you need to know how to edit registries, and I've only heard or 1 or 2 who got that to work. Otherwise, choose which one you want..
TheInformer
Dinosaur egg
Dinosaur egg

Post by TheInformer »

I went ahead and copied my Trespasser directory to a flash drive and uninstalled it. I then installed the beta and everything's working, or working about as well as to be expected.

On a side note, if you use the sewer tunnel to get into the town, you get stuck when you emerge from the tunnel. I couldn't get out.

One more note: the lack of the invisible blocks makes it easy to do some exploring and to bypass some tasks such as opening the gate from the town to go see the two T-rexes attack the Para.
LtSten
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

Post by LtSten »

You can slide through the gap in those gates in the retail version...

The best/safest way to play this would probably to remove all traces of retail Trespasser and then install the beta, but if that's not an option, you should try the other suggestions in this thread. :)
Bringing TPA CRCs up the well, amongst other file format adventures.
Blender 3.0 TPM Plugin [Project GitHub]
Draconisaurus
T-Rex Killer
T-Rex Killer

Post by Draconisaurus »

TheInformer wrote:On a side note, if you use the sewer tunnel to get into the town, you get stuck when you emerge from the tunnel. I couldn't get out.
IIRC, I couldn't even get into that pipe in the beta, nevermind being able to get out of it again..
LtSten wrote:The best/safest way to play this would probably to remove all traces of retail Trespasser and then install the beta,
Whenever I try to uninstall Trespasser from my system, it says that Trespasser has encountered a problem and needs to close. So, I can't even uninstall it :lol: I had to manually delete files and install the beta. And it crashes a lot..

And yes Trespasser itself was set to run in Win 95 compatibility mode or something.
glitchhunter09
Pteranodon
Pteranodon

Post by glitchhunter09 »

tatu wrote:One thing about the beta is that the engine is stable or some and really unstable for others, we do also know that the engine isn't the full one (Since some (if not all?) can't even fire the AK ingame, because the level crash).
I think the reason why the AK can't be fired has to do with either a missing texture, animation, sound effect, or quite possibly incorrect programming of the AK.